Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

gwerziou wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:13 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:02 am
gwerziou wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:57 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:53 am

Why don't you consider WTO 45 DB? It's 2-way fit, so you can run tubed or tubeless www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels/bora_wto_45_disc_brake
I have been looking at those quite closely but am concerned about getting blown off the road when the crosswinds ramp up when a storm blows in from the ocean a couple of klicks away.
You are coming from 38 mm deep and if you think 7mm deeper is going to blow you around, you are delusional :) Keep in mind that WTO rim has modern rim profile.
Ha, yeah I hear you but since I’m already getting blown around, increasing rim depth at all seems a bit sketchy.
You are getting blown around not because of the depth but because or rim profile. To put this into perspective, Reynold 65mm wheels (teardrop rim profile) are more stable than outdated 35mm wheels.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

kevinw

by kevinw

I think that the diamond shaped spokes on the WTOs help in crosswinds too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwerziou

by gwerziou

That is great news then, because I have read elsewhere that hard crosswinds push primarily based on rim depth, regardless of rim profile.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

kgt

by kgt

What you read elsewhere is true.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ofcourse the primary is depth... but profile is not to be ignored . Everything is conditional ofcourse.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I think that came from Hambini, which I believe to be true. He also says the best profile is the NACA profile which you are beginning to see them on the latest wheels (WTO, Bontrager, and Mavic).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Correct me if I'm wrong but the latets Bontrager wheels are no NACA profile?
They seem to be more v-shaped like Bora One and Ultra.
Not round shaped like Mavic Cosmic and Bora WTO.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The latest Bontrager wheels are based on NACA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hambini

by hambini

It's not possible to get a perfect NACA profile in carbon because the trailing edge would have to decay to a sharp point. The trailing edge needs to be rounded slightly - it is the limitation of current manufacturing methods.

I think that is why they say "based on NACA"

There does seem to be a trend towards more sharp aerofoil shapes, less width and less of a blunt toroid.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Has someone published rim profile (e.g. cut open) of WTO rim besides what we know on paper?
Intetnal width = 19mm
External width = 26.5mm
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

gwerziou

by gwerziou

“That is great news then, because I have read elsewhere that hard crosswinds push primarily based on rim depth, regardless of rim profile.”
kgt wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 pm
What you read elsewhere is true.
In that case, back to my original post, has anyone heard about a WTO 35 in the pipeline?

Also, it seems that the WTO 45 DB is not yet available on starbike or bike24, where I get most of my campy parts.

guyc

by guyc

Nothing about a 35mm and I’d be surprised if they bothered.

Having ridden both Bora 35’s and the newer 45’s I’d take the latter every time. I don’t think a 35mm offers enough aero benefit to make it a sensible offering alongside a 35mm.

It gets pretty windy here in the Uk and the 45’s are excellent.

skyboy

by skyboy

mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:08 am
gwerziou wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
gwerziou wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:57 am

I have been looking at those quite closely but am concerned about getting blown off the road when the crosswinds ramp up when a storm blows in from the ocean a couple of klicks away.
You are coming from 38 mm deep and if you think 7mm deeper is going to blow you around, you are delusional :) Keep in mind that WTO rim has modern rim profile.
Ha, yeah I hear you but since I’m already getting blown around, increasing rim depth at all seems a bit sketchy.
You are getting blown around not because of the depth but because or rim profile. To put this into perspective, Reynold 65mm wheels (teardrop rim profile) are more stable than outdated 35mm wheels.
Are they more stable than the even newer Reynolds AR X wheels?

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Starbike says about availability of the WTO 45 disc: the Bora WTOs will be available as discs as well, unfortunately there is no delivery date available at the moment. This can take a few weeks / months until they are sourceable.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

skyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:15 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:08 am
gwerziou wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

Are they more stable than the even newer Reynolds AR X wheels?
I'd venture a "yes". The Reynolds Aero profile is the most stable aero wheel I've ridden by a hefty margin. I now own a couple of the new Bontrager XXX setups and they're the closest I've come (and would rate the Bontrager braking higher). Just looking at the profile, I'd expect the WTO to behave similarly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com