Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fogman

by fogman

What is your measured width of the 25c Vredestein tubeless tires on the C19 WTO rim?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Madone69

by Madone69

fogman wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:02 pm
What is your measured width of the 25c Vredestein tubeless tires on the C19 WTO rim?

+-28,5mm
Attachments
20190429_144455.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xplaza

by xplaza

Is anyone expecting some new alu wheels from Campagnolo? Just noticed Eurus and Neutron Ultra disappeared from their site.

wintershade

by wintershade

I have yet to see a review of these wheels anywhere, at any depth. Personally I'm most interested in the 45s. I'm most interested to hear how they handle (crosswind stability) compared to a Bora 50 and a Zipp 303 NSW.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

wintershade wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:01 pm
I have yet to see a review of these wheels anywhere, at any depth. Personally I'm most interested in the 45s. I'm most interested to hear how they handle (crosswind stability) compared to a Bora 50 and a Zipp 303 NSW.

Generally there are only minor differences in modern aero rims - they're all pretty stable in my experience (Sydney isnt particularly windy however). Furthermore, 45's aren't deep so issues with instability are even less of a concern... so it should be lower down on the list of bug bears IMO. Zipps are better than Bora 50s in high winds.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

neeb

by neeb

Hmm, I find the Bora 50s less than ideal in winds above 4 or 5m/s, especially on descents. I'm fairly light at 64kg though. The WTO 45s are almost as deep so it would indeed be interesting to know how they (and the 60s for that matter) perform in this respect. Agree that many rims around this depth are mostly fine in moderate winds, but it's not a particular strong point of the Bora 50s.. My Reynolds Aero 58s are much better despite being deeper.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Yes, exactly - this is a 'go' vs 'no-go' factor for me with WTO 45s. They look great, question is - can they be hanled by light rider in crosswinds > 10m/s.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

neeb wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:41 am
Hmm, I find the Bora 50s less than ideal in winds above 4 or 5m/s, especially on descents. I'm fairly light at 64kg though. The WTO 45s are almost as deep so it would indeed be interesting to know how they (and the 60s for that matter) perform in this respect. Agree that many rims around this depth are mostly fine in moderate winds, but it's not a particular strong point of the Bora 50s.. My Reynolds Aero 58s are much better despite being deeper.
Depth doesn't contribute to stability as much as rim profile. WTO rim profile is vastly improved.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

zappafile123

by zappafile123

neeb wrote:
Im 60kg - weight isn't as important as you'd think, its how you handle your bike and respond to wind inputs. You're right that is descents that are the real place for getting nervous in crosswinds. But... If you just ride with 60mm rims all the time you get used to them and know how to handle them. I doubt WTOs will be frightening on a descent. I also think the 45mm rim is pointless - probably like 70g lighter, but way less aero. Unless you live in a mountenous high wind aera, you're just missing out on a faster wheel.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Weight is very important when the wind speed is extremely high. A week ago I was riding in the mountains with my Bora 50 and the wind had picked up. A big gust of side wind blew me across the road twice. On both occasions I almost got hit by cars. I estimate the wind gust to be about 50mph or 80kph. At that wind speed the type of wheel is irrelevant as my body will catch the wind more than the wheels. I weigh 135lb or 61.2kg. I have ridden the Bora 35s in very high winds and they are not as stable as I had thought but they are better than the Bora 50s.

kgt

by kgt

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:29 pm
neeb wrote:
Depth doesn't contribute to stability as much as rim profile. WTO rim profile is vastly improved.
According to Hambini's test (and common sense) only rim depth is related to crosswind stability, not rim profile.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=153138&p=1425914& ... d#p1425914

3Pio

by 3Pio

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:03 am
Weight is very important when the wind speed is extremely high. A week ago I was riding in the mountains with my Bora 50 and the wind had picked up. A big gust of side wind blew me across the road twice. On both occasions I almost got hit by cars. I estimate the wind gust to be about 50mph or 80kph. At that wind speed the type of wheel is irrelevant as my body will catch the wind more than the wheels. I weigh 135lb or 61.2kg. I have ridden the Bora 35s in very high winds and they are not as stable as I had thought but they are better than the Bora 50s.
I have three Campy wheelset Bora 50 Tub, Bora 35 Tub and Shamal Ultra...

Regarding CrossWind's the most affected are Shamal's probably the thick spokes catch the wind...

On Bora 35 even on very strong cross winds, i dont have a problems (they are very controllable in high winds...)

On Bora 50 there is some crosswinds issues, but when u got used of it, not that bad... Anyway, in strong winds conditions i ride Bora 35... Only once last season i got catched by really really strong wind, and i was on 50's... I really thought that i wont be able to ride home (scary feeling to feel how wind put u from one to other side of the road). Friend with Zonda's in same conditions has far less trouble then i had then... If weight mean something, im from 70 to 74 kg (depend of time in season)

If i need to pick only one wheelset as all around, definetely will pick 35 vs 50.....

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have both the 35 and 50. I ride the 35 from Oct to Apr. I didn’t check the WX forecast when I left with the 50s. I was thinking of getting the WTO 60 but after my wind incident I’ve changed my mind. I might get the WTO 45 down the road to replace my 50.

Also body weight makes a big difference. With a mild cross wind I’m already leaning much more compared to the heavier riders.

fiz73

by fiz73

wintershade wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:01 pm
Hi wintershade , you can read a french review of WTO60 here : https://www.topvelo.fr/campagnolo-bora-wto-60
The reviewer which weighs about 60 kg, however he is used to riding with high rims, he says is not fan of profiles beyond 50 mm. But the test of these WTO could convince him to use them in everyday life and reserve a profile of 35 mm only for very mountainous rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Does anyone know the CULT bearing PNs to use.. seems the Ultra 50s use HB-BO100 up front and the HY100 in the rear.. the Campy spares catalog Part C for 2019 does not list any of the WTO wheel spares..
Thanks