Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
hannawald

by hannawald

neeb wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:43 pm
zappafile123 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:37 pm
jlok wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:59 am
zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:46 pm
Does anyone else find that WTO60s make the bike feel unusually sluggish or slow below 25 km/h (15.5 miles p/h)? LIke that feeling you really gotta kick working to keep them going. Once the wheels are over 30 km/h they feel great, but below that Im thinking not so...
Isn't it normal to feel sluggish for a wheelset with relatively heavy rims? The aero dis/advantage usualy shows when speed > 30kph.
I'm talking about them being unusually sluggish relative to the competition e.g. Zipp 404s
Do you mean when putting out a decent effort (e.g. when climbing), or when just pootling/cruising? I find it quite difficult to relate effort to speed when going more slowly, I wonder if it's just something to do with the "feel" of the wheels, e.g. at lower efforts they will be flexing less and will feel very stiff?
Honestly I haven't felt any noticable change in acceleration going from my 1330g 46mm Light Bicycles to 16xx g Hed Vanquish 6 (60mm rim). They both felt quite responsive going from traffic lights..i don't know if i adjusted used gears or so, but heavy Heds certainly didn't feel sluggish (i had another problem with them sealing them tubeless safely but that's another story). I can remember that Bora 35 tubulars felt much more responsive to me than same weight Ffwd tubular wheels on the same bike, but maybe it was due to different tires (Vittoria Corsas vs Continental Competition).

kevinw

by kevinw

Screenshot_20210130-133535.png
What are these on de gendt's Instagram?

They look like unbranded WTO 60s - something new maybe? Tubular version perhaps? I can't make out the tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Foreshadowing for fans :noidea:
Just ride ..

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

The tyres are Corsa clincher or tubeless - you can make out the branding at the bottom. On the tubs the branding is on the shoulder instead of on the sidewall.

kevinw

by kevinw

Just standard WTOs then? I wonder why they don't have branding. Interesting though because loto haven't used the WTOs in competition yet as far as I know.

msob

by msob

Just received my set of WTO 45s and they are beautiful :D

However, I've noticed some small chips and scratches in the front wheel, especially where the spokes join the rim.

The rear wheels seems flawless in comparison. This could just be a part of the manufacturing when the carbon releases from the mold or when assembled.
I've notified the retailer and Campagnolo directly, as to whether this warrants a replacement and await their reply.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar on their wheelset?
Attachments
IMG_2381.JPG
IMG_2378.JPG
IMG_2388.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2391.JPG

jlok

by jlok

Mine didn't have those chips. They look like flaws caused by miss handling. Return and exchange I'd say.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Those chips could be caused be the spoke heads during the wheel lacing process since the damage appears to be near each nipple. The tip of the threaded spoke is very sharp and if the builder is not careful it can scratch any kind of surface including carbon.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Sorry man - that doesn’t look right. I have three sets of WTOs, none of them have similar imperfections.

kevinw

by kevinw

I dont think you will have an issue getting that wheel replaced - it doesnt look right.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Ditto. No marks like that on mine. If that did occur in wheelbuilding and not in transport then it would be a little worrying it made it through QC...

msob

by msob

Thank you all for your replies. I've spoken to the retailer and will exchange them for a new set. I sent the photos directly to Campagnolo as well, but still await their reply.

The parcel was in fine condition, so I would be amazed if the damage occured during transport. It does seem to be from assembly - hopefully QC has inspected the next set a little bit closer :)

eaten14

by eaten14

Hi, I read through tens of pages here but didn't find an answer :).
I'm considering buying Campagnolo Bora wheelset for my bike with rim brakes. I still didn't make my mind about which I want:

WTO 60
+ I love the design (high profile rims)
+ Wider rim (26mm)
- No tubular option

ONE 50
+ Tubular option
- Lower and narrower rims (24mm - want to have 25mm tires)

So far I was always riding alloy wheels with clincher tires. I would prefer this option in the future as well - easy to change for me as since ever I was only using this type of tires.

I would stick to it even now, but I heard about problem with overheating and explosions. I have no clue what is the probability. Usually I do not ride super long descents, but on some vacations I travel to Italy or to my hometown where there are 8km+ descents. I do not think I break a lot but I'm careful a bit, especially when raining. Yeah, and my weight is ~94kg which might support the overheating :).

With tubeless I read about complicated installing and people having fear of getting a puncture. Despite all the pros I'm afraid this would be more struggle than I'm willing to accept :) - especially on some events where I need to stay in the group.

Tubular I have no experience either, but Wto 60 doesn't have this type (and this is my favorite wheelset to go) and I'm not sure about fixing it myself as well :).

What's you experience? Should I be afraid to go clincher or company as Campy in 2020 will have it sorted out?

jlok

by jlok

I'd avoid multi-day travel with tubular, but Bora One 50 tubular is a race-worthy fantastic wheelset...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaten14

by eaten14

Yes, I'm looking for "general purpose" use. I will most likely not invest into more wheelsets - so I would like to use these + possibly my basic alloy wheelset Vision Comp 35 when needed, but ofc would like to stick to one wheelset.