Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Have about 150km on these now. After the first ride, I was pretty disappointed because they felt oddly sluggish compared to my Bontrager Aeolus XXX4/6 set. Sure enough, the rear tire (Pirelli Pzero Race TLRSL) was on backwards. -__- After that was switched and resolved it felt remarkably better. Smooth & stiff, stable in the 15-20kmh winds we've been having here in NJ. Braking is good (not great) on the front wheel with the campy pads, but I have to mess with the rear because it's squealing like bloody murder right now. Hopefully when they're both set well I can get a balanced response like I have with the XXX4/6s.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

muntos

by muntos

Bora WTO 45, original pads, around 3.000 km, and I get very annoying creak (correct word?) when breaking for longer. Only on the front wheel (or maybe just on front because most of the breaking is on the front..). Swapped the pads (front/back), checked if the pads correctly push on the breaking surface, problem remains.
Is there something I didn't do right, or it's a common symptom ? Maybe other pads manufacturer ?

Also, a lot of flex on the rear wheel when climbing out-of-saddle, I have to let the pads quite distanced, it is normal ?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Noise from hard braking is the norm. There's nothing to do to fix it. The only temporary fix is to allow the rims to cool down. The noise is only there when you're doing a long and technical descent.

muntos

by muntos

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:53 pm
Noise from hard braking is the norm. There's nothing to do to fix it. The only temporary fix is to allow the rims to cool down. The noise is only there when you're doing a long and technical descent.
That really really sucks tbh, I especially chose Campa Bora because of their "legendary" braking, I never had similar problems with my previous Bontrager aeolus 3 wheels :? I wouldn't say only long descents, ok, it has to be a mountain I guess, but the problems start quite quickly...
Can't believe it there is no fix... :evil:

neeb

by neeb

They kind of just do that. Doesn't bother me as it's only on hard/sudden braking. I even kind of like it because it tells me the brakes are working and it can be useful to alert traffic / pedestrains that you've had to brake suddenly without actually shouting at them.. :D
Last edited by neeb on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neeb

by neeb

muntos wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:46 pm
Also, a lot of flex on the rear wheel when climbing out-of-saddle, I have to let the pads quite distanced, it is normal ?
That's actually not flex, it's because the wheels are stiff and NOT flexing, so rather than bending in the bottom half when stressed, they remain stiff and deflect laterally in the top half in relation to the frame, which bends instead..

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The noise does scare other cyclists though. It's pretty loud. When they hear it they all get away from me.

muntos

by muntos

The noise scares me also, somehow I'm less confident in breaking later than sooner as I'm used to, I loose a lot of time on descends this way..
Not to mention that the noise tends to makes me ashamed, like I would use a bike, piece of sh** .. :(

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

muntos wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:39 pm
The noise scares me also, somehow I'm less confident in breaking later than sooner as I'm used to, I loose a lot of time on descends this way..
Not to mention that the noise tends to makes me ashamed, like I would use a bike, piece of sh** .. :(
I have two Bora sets, ok not WTOs but I bet the surface is identical. I had noise issues a couple times but i do not think it is normal or that it should happen all the time. Try to change the setup a bit, 1mm of toein reduces noises greatly, but also the bite a bit. Sand the pads. Use new pads, IME new thick pads are less noisy. If all fails, chnage the length of the housing. If you are in Bucharest we could maybe meet in ghosttown so i can have a look....

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Haha. Indeed. It does sound like sh**. Fortunately it doesn't happen to me too often as I'm more of a lightweight rider. But I could see how this would be a major downside for a bigger and heavier rider.

muntos

by muntos

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:50 pm
muntos wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:39 pm
I have two Bora sets, ok not WTOs but I bet the surface is identical. I had noise issues a couple times but i do not think it is normal or that it should happen all the time. Try to change the setup a bit, 1mm of toein reduces noises greatly, but also the bite a bit. Sand the pads. Use new pads, IME new thick pads are less noisy. If all fails, chnage the length of the housing. If you are in Bucharest we could maybe meet in ghosttown so i can have a look....
Yes, I'm in Bucharest, I would be more than happy to meet :beerchug:

muntos

by muntos

Ok, so I will have to order a new pair of brake pads, are any alternatives to the Campa BR-BO500X1 standard pads (https://www.bike24.com/p2175268.html) that worth trying in the hope of stop the brake noise ? Maybe some from SwissStop ?

neeb

by neeb

My guess is that any pads that make less noise will not stop as well (although I might be wrong). The Campagnolo pads are optimised for the breaking surface. The energy from the deceleration has to go somewhere - if it's not going as noise it's going as heat...

Honestly, it's something that doesn't bother me at all because it only happens under sudden / hard braking. Although it bugs me a little as a disc-brake hater because it undermines one of my arguments against them vs. rim brakes.. :lol: :lol:

kevinw

by kevinw

My brakes do make a noise but it's more of a pleasant "buzzing" sound rather than a "screech".

If your brakes do screech than I'd suggest that the pads need to be toed in as mentioned above. Narrow at the front wider and the back.

muntos

by muntos

kevinw wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:38 am
My brakes do make a noise but it's more of a pleasant "buzzing" sound rather than a "screech".

If your brakes do screech than I'd suggest that the pads need to be toed in as mentioned above. Narrow at the front wider and the back.
I've adjusted the pads, using a visit card on the last 1/3 of the pads, seems to have an impact but I still have the noise, maybe try with something more ticker so the angle be more pronounced ?
Last edited by muntos on Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com