Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
yinya

by yinya

It may have been covered before, apologies, is there a best solution to control brake squeel on the WTOs? These days with hot weather and mountain riding, would be great to know the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

yinya wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:40 pm
It may have been covered before, apologies, is there a best solution to control brake squeel on the WTOs? These days with hot weather and mountain riding, would be great to know the tips.

Naturally, the brake pads are extremly grippy. Mine stop better than my disc brake bike. I assume you already "toe in" the pads? Also, use a coarse grit sand paper litely on the pads.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

yinya

by yinya

Will experiment with more toe in! Mine are also louder than any disc bike

wilwil

by wilwil

rollinslow wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:03 pm
yinya wrote:

Naturally, the brake pads are extremly grippy. Mine stop better than my disc brake bike. I assume you already "toe in" the pads? Also, use a coarse grit sand paper litely on the pads.
Im surprised to read this. Mine stop really badly. They are also noisy. Braking is nothing like as good as disc brakes and not as good as aluminium. I have direct mount brakes too. Am I doing something wrong with brake set up I wonder.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

wilwil wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:45 pm
rollinslow wrote:
yinya wrote:

I would assume something with your setup is not right since it's pretty much universally accepted that Bora WTO braking is superb. Check that you are toed-in, your pads are secure and the proper red Campy ones, and that you have them properly placed on the track. Sand you pads lightly with a coarse grit paper to remove any glazing that may have occurred.
Im surprised to read this. Mine stop really badly. They are also noisy. Braking is nothing like as good as disc brakes and not as good as aluminium. I have direct mount brakes too. Am I doing something wrong with brake set up I wonder.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

wilwil wrote:
rollinslow wrote:
yinya wrote:

Have you tried cleaning the rim with alcohol? Don't know anything about DM brakes but mine will give me that fly over the bar feeling easily with BR9100 calipers, I don't really get that with disc brake. They start to squeal a little if they are warm from repeated braking. There is a noise with the textured surface however, it won't be quiet like aluminum rim.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

rollinslow wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:27 pm
wilwil wrote:
rollinslow wrote:
yinya wrote:

I would assume something with your setup is not right since it's pretty much universally accepted that Bora WTO braking is superb. Check that you are toed-in, your pads are secure and the proper red Campy ones, and that you have them properly placed on the track. Sand you pads lightly with a coarse grit paper to remove any glazing that may have occurred.
Make sure you are toed-in, proper pad placement on the brake track, and sand and glazing off the pads using a coarse grit sand paper.

Pukutis

by Pukutis

For the wto rim brake, has anyone tried any light weight exotic tubes? What is your experience?

muntos

by muntos

Guys ! What do you think about this :cry: ?
A mail exchange between me and Bike24, I will put it in the order:
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
Have you ever confronted with such thingh before ?
What should I do ? It just seems unbelievable for me.. :(

muntos

by muntos

1657399416881.jpg
1657399416917.jpg
1657399416956.jpg
1657433287281.jpg
1657433287321.jpg

bobones

by bobones

muntos wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:44 pm
Guys ! What do you think about this :cry: ?
While I have sympathy for your plight, it is well known that prolonged braking on carbon rims can cause them to overheat and deform. Back in May, I took part in a very hilly sportive with dangerous 25-30% descents so I choose aluminium rims for that ride as I knew using carbon rims would be risky. Sorry, but that's the way it is with rim brakes on carbon wheels in mountainous terrain, and I wouldn't expect a retailer to offer me a warranty replacement if I melted the rims either. Unless you're sure of your and your wheels' capabilities, it has to be disc brakes or alumimum rims if you expect to be dragging your brakes for prolonged periods.

AW84

by AW84

Given their relatively narrow internal width, are the WTO's in rim brake a bad buy at this point if you intend to invest in them for use for several years? The only downside to wider alternatives is that they are all less quality/brand recognition than Campy.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Campy quietly put the WTO Ultra 80s on their site. At 21internal/27.3external, they're moving closer to industry standards. LOVE to see the 21 spoke G3 lacing front and back, and they're bloody gorgeous. Impressive 1590g weight for the depth. However... 4400€? Bruuuuuuuuh.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

muntos wrote:Guys ! What do you think about this :cry: ?

I think they were extremely reasonable. You, on the other hand, not so much. It’s not the hot weather that was the issue, rather your braking technique. That’s why it’s not warranty. Warranty covers faulty materials or manufacturing. This is neither. It happens on all carbon rimmed wheels of you are ham-fisted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

muntos

by muntos

Honestly I don't find any problem with my braking technique, I'm not the guy that descends pulling the brakes levers all the time, I brake using both front and back and just pinching the brakes as is needed then releasing them.
But hell, if I didn't found a warning card in the wheels bag stating "DON'T descend Angliru when is hot or if you do it you better have Pidcock's descending skills !" then excuse me, my fault !