Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
survivor

by survivor

In the market for new wheels. Shortlisted the Campagnolo and Princeton.
Campagnolo Bora Ultra WTO 45 vs Princeton Peak 4540
Campagnolo Bora Ultra WTO 60 vs Princeton Wake 6560
What would you choose and why?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

survivor wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:27 am
1. When we look at a wheel, we consider the hub, spokes and rim as a complete design, rather than just sticking some random parts together like a computer.

The hub and rim should be designed for each other. For example, the spoke hole angle on the rim should be pointing exactly to the spoke holes at the hub (esp important for straight pull spokes). Bora wheels are clearing designed as such.

2. The finishing of Bora rims and hubs just look like top end product. Next to none.

3. CULT. On the other hand I'd try to avoid hubs with Enduro Bearings spec. Their bearings are sh!te. I regret to purchase wheels that could only use Enduro spec bearings. Very short life.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

yingyu

by yingyu

survivor wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:27 am
I've only owned PCW 6560 and Bora 45. No direct comparisons but I'd vote for Boras. I sold PCW 6560 because crosswind stability was only acceptable with 23c gp5k front tire. It appears that PCW use the same rim profile for rim and disc brake builds so it's possibly not as optimized as disc-only rims can be.

Bora's CULT hubs are hard to beat. I can really feel how smooth they roll on the road. PCW tends to spec weight-weenie hubs, but they wouldn't make the wheel feel light. Handling is mostly determined by rim weight, or to be precise, moment of inertia.

For aesthetics, I feel PCW is too in-your-face unless it's on an equally bold Pinarello bike (as Ineos does). Bora has a subdued luxurious look that elevates most bikes.

moonoi

by moonoi

I have both WTO60 and PCW 6560 with DT180 hubs, and frankly I find the 6560s' to be far more stable in crosswinds, much lighter and a much faster wheel in general, I found them to be a great all rounder wheel and even great for long days climbing. Still can't get over how good the WTO look though and they are still fast, and since I can afford to have both, I will....but if I didn't I'd keep the 6560.

The WTO now live on my Aeroad CFR, and the 6560 on my Aurum Magma

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

yingyu

by yingyu

moonoi wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:03 am
I have both WTO60 and PCW 6560 with DT180 hubs, and frankly I find the 6560s' to be far more stable in crosswinds, much lighter and a much faster wheel in general, I found them to be a great all rounder wheel and even great for long days climbing. Still can't get over how good the WTO look though and they are still fast, and since I can afford to have both, I will....but if I didn't I'd keep the 6560.
I think we are comparing PCW vs "Ultra" WTO, which has similar MSRP. Admittedly I probably would find Ultra WTO 60 too unstable as well (I got 45).

survivor

by survivor

jlok wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:56 am
1. When we look at a wheel, we consider the hub, spokes and rim as a complete design, rather than just sticking some random parts together like a computer.

The hub and rim should be designed for each other. For example, the spoke hole angle on the rim should be pointing exactly to the spoke holes at the hub (esp important for straight pull spokes). Bora wheels are clearing designed as such.

2. The finishing of Bora rims and hubs just look like top end product. Next to none.

3. CULT. On the other hand I'd try to avoid hubs with Enduro Bearings spec. Their bearings are sh!te. I regret to purchase wheels that could only use Enduro spec bearings. Very short life.
PCW now has their in house hub in Tactic Racing. I assumed they would design the Tactic Racing hub for their PCW rim?

survivor

by survivor

yingyu wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:23 am
I've only owned PCW 6560 and Bora 45. No direct comparisons but I'd vote for Boras. I sold PCW 6560 because crosswind stability was only acceptable with 23c gp5k front tire. It appears that PCW use the same rim profile for rim and disc brake builds so it's possibly not as optimized as disc-only rims can be.

Bora's CULT hubs are hard to beat. I can really feel how smooth they roll on the road. PCW tends to spec weight-weenie hubs, but they wouldn't make the wheel feel light. Handling is mostly determined by rim weight, or to be precise, moment of inertia.

For aesthetics, I feel PCW is too in-your-face unless it's on an equally bold Pinarello bike (as Ineos does). Bora has a subdued luxurious look that elevates most bikes.
PCW now has a wider 20.5mm hook to hook width in Strada varient of their Wake 6560. Perhaps this would give a better performance with wider tire than they used to be?

While I'm still considering the PCW Peak 4540 and Bora Ultra WTO 45, I already have the Partington R-Series 39/44. I think they are probably too similar. Would like to add a deeper section wheel for more flat-ish road, which is why I'm leaning more towards the PCW Wake 6560 and the Bora Ultra WTO 60.

This wheelset will be for Pinarello Dogma F so the PCW aesthetic would be consider ok :D

yingyu

by yingyu

survivor wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:23 pm
yingyu wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:23 am

PCW now has a wider 20.5mm hook to hook width in Strada varient of their Wake 6560. Perhaps this would give a better performance with wider tire than they used to be?

While I'm still considering the PCW Peak 4540 and Bora Ultra WTO 45, I already have the Partington R-Series 39/44. I think they are probably too similar. Would like to add a deeper section wheel for more flat-ish road, which is why I'm leaning more towards the PCW Wake 6560 and the Bora Ultra WTO 60.

This wheelset will be for Pinarello Dogma F so the PCW aesthetic would be consider ok :D
How does your Partington ride? 😀

PCW and Dogma match well indeed. The PCW 6560 page only lists one external width 26mm regardless of internal width. The wider version seems to be harder for 25c tire to conform to 105 rule. Maybe you could ask their owner more information on rim profiles.

Personally I am mostly running Zipp 353 or 454 NSW on my Tarmac SL7 because I'm convinced hookless is the right way to do tubeless and is the future of disc brake wheels. But this is a Bora thread... Although SRAM accuses PCW for infringing their patent on wavy rim profiles ("dog-bitten hoops" in some Chinese forums 😆), Zipp seems to take the idea from PCW that wavy profiles can reduce rim weights.

survivor

by survivor

yingyu wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:48 pm
How does your Partington ride? 😀

PCW and Dogma match well indeed. The PCW 6560 page only lists one external width 26mm regardless of internal width. The wider version seems to be harder for 25c tire to conform to 105 rule. Maybe you could ask their owner more information on rim profiles.

Personally I am mostly running Zipp 353 or 454 NSW on my Tarmac SL7 because I'm convinced hookless is the right way to do tubeless and is the future of disc brake wheels. But this is a Bora thread... Although SRAM accuses PCW for infringing their patent on wavy rim profiles ("dog-bitten hoops" in some Chinese forums 😆), Zipp seems to take the idea from PCW that wavy profiles can reduce rim weights.
I haven't put too much mileage into the Partington wheels but they are great so far. Super lightweight (mine weight in at 1250g a pair). Having said that since they are full carbon construction, there is always a concern about repair and warranty, i.e. broken spoke for example.

I still haven't convinced about the tubeless setup. Still go by clincher and tube at this time. The thought of needing to repair a tubeless puncture on the road that is not repairable by the sealent keeps me uneasy. There is also the additional maintenance of toping up sealent and making sure sealent not dry up, etc which keeps me on clincher and tube setup.

jlok

by jlok

survivor wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:14 pm
jlok wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:56 am

PCW now has their in house hub in Tactic Racing. I assumed they would design the Tactic Racing hub for their PCW rim?
You may assume it yes, but have to take a look on hand.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

CCA

by CCA

Hi Everyone - Wanted to see if anyone here have any advice, I'm looking at either getting the Bora WTO 45 rim brake or getting a custom Light Bicycle AR 456 Recon Pro x-flow(1310 g total weight) w Carbon Ti hubs for a new hilly/climbing set mainly to be used in summer for biking trips around Europe/Alps.

All in for the LB custom build it is 1400 euro(incl import tax) w total weight of 1310 gr. I have found the WTOs for 1850 euro. Braking performance and crosswind stability are important.

Appreciate any input/advice:)

gorkypl

by gorkypl

If you have Campagnolo groupset on the bike, go Boras. If not, go Boras and change the groupset.

I have Bora WTO 45, Shamal Carbons and three pairs of LB rims that I planned to build wheels with.

LB makes great rims, and the price is fair. However, once they are put side by side, Campy wheels are aesthetically in a different league.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

CCA wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:44 am
Hi Everyone - Wanted to see if anyone here have any advice, I'm looking at either getting the Bora WTO 45 rim brake or getting a custom Light Bicycle AR 456 Recon Pro x-flow(1310 g total weight) w Carbon Ti hubs for a new hilly/climbing set mainly to be used in summer for biking trips around Europe/Alps.

All in for the LB custom build it is 1400 euro(incl import tax) w total weight of 1310 gr. I have found the WTOs for 1850 euro. Braking performance and crosswind stability are important.

Appreciate any input/advice:)
The WTO 45 is not a pure climbing wheel. Compared to a shallow alum wheel in the 1500g range, It feels a bit heavy and crosswind can push it a bit. If your route has more flat miles than climbing, I would choose WTO 45.

CCA

by CCA

@poorcyclist & @gorkypl - Thanks you for the feedback! I run dura ace but despite that I went for the WTO 45s, have to change for Campy groupset later on... Went into a LBS and could not agree more about the overall quality of the wheel. Think I got a decent price at the end as well(paid 1745 euros).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simbikotic

by simbikotic

I am finding that my Bora WTO 45 disc rear wheel periodically develops play. I check it regularly and after a few months riding it gets play. I tighten the preload and it's fine - for a few more months. I guess I can live with this - but are there any tips for mitigating it? I thought about adding a drop of purple threadlock under the preload ring, but not sure if that is advisable. Anyone else had this? Anyone managed to prevent it?