Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Master-Ti

by Master-Ti

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I've used soapy water to wet the tire bead and rim as per Campag's video, but again with no luck. I've also tried to remove the valve core before inflation to reduce resistance and increase the flow for inflation.

After inflating with an inner tube to seat the tires then deflating, I can't seem to take the inner tube out without the opposite bead un-seating. The opposite bead that I try to leave seated slips into the central groove when I un-seat the first bead and take the inner tube out.

Any other suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

I did not have luck in corsa controls on Fulcrum Winds as the sidewalls on tires are flat...so i'm running with tubes and can still feel the plushness...

I'll try again to run tubeless but might need more than recommended sealant...

jlok

by jlok

rudye9mr wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:09 pm
I did not have luck in corsa controls on Fulcrum Winds as the sidewalls on tires are flat...so i'm running with tubes and can still feel the plushness...

I'll try again to run tubeless but might need more than recommended sealant...
Soapy water + booster did it for me on Speed 55, guess it's the same for Wind. Tremendus grip from these tires. Good luck.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Master-Ti wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:55 pm
Thanks for your response.

Yes, I've used soapy water to wet the tire bead and rim as per Campag's video, but again with no luck. I've also tried to remove the valve core before inflation to reduce resistance and increase the flow for inflation.

After inflating with an inner tube to seat the tires then deflating, I can't seem to take the inner tube out without the opposite bead un-seating. The opposite bead that I try to leave seated slips into the central groove when I un-seat the first bead and take the inner tube out.

Any other suggestions?
Easy----buy an "Air Shot". You pressurize the canister using your floor pump, then blast it into the tire. Works every time. I could not believe how easy it is.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Ty @ jlok

montee

by montee

For lots of climbing, 33 vs 45 - are 33s a no-brainer? (Rim brake, tubeless).

I know how good Boras are (already have some 60s), just trying to convince myself that 33s are worthwhile over similar weight alloy wheels &/or that the weight saving & crosswind handling outweighs the aero benefits of 45s for riding in the mountains.

montee

by montee

Also, are the WTO rim brake rims considered safe for mountain descents? (Assuming not put to extreme use of dragging brakes for a really really long time).

neeb

by neeb

montee wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 3:52 pm
Also, are the WTO rim brake rims considered safe for mountain descents? (Assuming not put to extreme use of dragging brakes for a really really long time).
I'm sure they will be. It's the same tech as in the older Boras, which in Tour Magazine's lab tests were found to be safe at levels of braking / heat buildup greater than you would ever get ItRW, even when dragging the brakes on descents.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Tyre width data point:

Measured my Vittoria Rubino Pro 25mm tyres today with a caliper and they come up to 25mm on the WTOs.

This makes them just right for the 105% aero rule.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

jgman

by jgman

Just posted a new WTO45 wheelset in the For Sale listings if anyone is interested.

Cat6Barrister

by Cat6Barrister

Can anyone with experience comment on a difference between the bora one disc, wto and new wto ultras? I have a pair of bora one disc in 50's on my Xr4. Considering upgrading to wto 45 disc, but couldn't really find any information about actual real road differences.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Cat6Barrister wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:42 pm
Can anyone with experience comment on a difference between the bora one disc, wto and new wto ultras? I have a pair of bora one disc in 50's on my Xr4. Considering upgrading to wto 45 disc, but couldn't really find any information about actual real road differences.
The Bora One disc is clincher only (non-tubeless compatible) and 17mm inner width. It also has a less aero more V-shape profile. The WTO disc uses the same USB beariing as the Bora One but has a new wind tunnel optimized profile, 19mm inner width, and are tubeless compatible. The WTO ultras are made with a lighter weight and ?higher quality carbon fiber, CULT bearings, a carbon hub shell and are tubeless compatible. The shape is the same as the regular WTO. All these wheelsets have hooked rims which is a massive benefit in the era of tubeless.

The main differences for you I think would be the ability to run tubeless such as the GP5k TL. That would actually lead to more speed and comfort. The WTO 45 vs 50mm Bora One aero gain is likely minimal. Perhaps more crosswind stable on the WTO. I own the WTO 60 discs and they are amazing. The dura ace rotors....not so much.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

montee

by montee

"If you believe the calculations of Campagnolo, the Bora Ultra WTO wheels are the fastest in the 25-year history of Bora. Assuming a 70 kg, 175 cm rider completes a 150 km course, 50 km of which is uphill with an average gradient of 5%, with an average power of 3 W/kg, the 45mm version is said to be seven seconds faster compared to the cheaper and heavier Bora WTO 45 wheel – both tubeless built. Compared to the Bora One 50 wheels, the difference is said to be over three minutes (with clincher tires) or over seven minutes (with tubular tires)."

https://granfondo-cycling.com/news-camp ... 21-review/

This looks a little odd - have Campagnolo released this data elsewhere?

neeb

by neeb

Hmm, well assuming the ride takes 5 hours (likely a significant underestimate), that 7s difference might represent an increase in speed of about 0.007 mph.. Not much for the extra 1,300 UK pounds.. :D

But those stats fail to tell us the one thing we most need to know - what are the real-world aero benefits of the Bora WTO over the old Bora? Tubeless doesn't actually provide any significant speed benefits over clinchers with latex tubes on normal roads, so we need to know what tyres and tubes were fitted to the Bora One 50. Is the 3 minutes due to tubeless/latex tubes vs. heavy butyl tubes, or to the wheel profile? And how do you compare the aero properties of two wheels optimised for different widths of tyres?

3 minutes saving would represent about 1% at most, so still only 0.15 - 0.2 mph.. Just about significant, but is it due to the profile or to rolling resistance?

For the record, on those sorts of rides at those speeds I find it difficult to detect any speed differences between any wheels, even Bora 35 tubulars vs. Bora WTO 60 clinchers with latex tubes. I can gain about 0.4 mph from wearing a Castelli San Remo speedsuit over a pair of bibs and a tight jersey, though..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cat6Barrister

by Cat6Barrister

rollinslow wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:30 am
Cat6Barrister wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:42 pm
The Bora One disc is clincher only (non-tubeless compatible) and 17mm inner width. It also has a less aero more V-shape profile. The WTO disc uses the same USB beariing as the Bora One but has a new wind tunnel optimized profile, 19mm inner width, and are tubeless compatible. The WTO ultras are made with a lighter weight and ?higher quality carbon fiber, CULT bearings, a carbon hub shell and are tubeless compatible. The shape is the same as the regular WTO. All these wheelsets have hooked rims which is a massive benefit in the era of tubeless.

The main differences for you I think would be the ability to run tubeless such as the GP5k TL. That would actually lead to more speed and comfort. The WTO 45 vs 50mm Bora One aero gain is likely minimal. Perhaps more crosswind stable on the WTO. I own the WTO 60 discs and they are amazing. The dura ace rotors....not so much.
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm mostly looking ot upgrade for the wind stability for everyday riding. My current bora one are great except whenever I decide to go on a long weekend ride usually coinsides with crosswind lol. I'd get the 60 wto but I figured I'd run into the same problem with my current set.