Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Lugan wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:01 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:18 am
Are there many riding Campa wheels running Shimano and Sram?
I'm ok with interracial marriage: DA 9000 group with Bora WTO 60 on an Argon 18 Nitrogen Pro. I put the DA on the bike originally, and now 3-4 years later, I added the WTO wheels because they were the best choice from a performance and compatibility point of view for that particular bike and how/where/when I ride it.
"best choice from a performance and compatibility point of view for that particular bike and how/where/when I ride it"
- Why's that?
What other wheels doesn't compete?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sychen

by sychen

Oh boy... I'm a serial offender..

Previous bike had campagnolo drive train but had a duraace rim brakes because they work better.

My tarmac disc now is full shimano but now wearing campagnolo rotors.

Will at some stage get a bora 35 or wto 40 for windy days where the roval 50s can a be a it hair raising..

I'm a purists worst nightmare.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

DudeCrush wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:45 pm
kevinw wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Campy wheels, shimano groupset, rotor cranks - need to squeeze some SRAM on there somewhere

You will love the wheels 8)
Haha... I've got a Bianchi XR4 with Shimano Di2 groupset, Bora wheels (previously Fulcrum) and a Specialized Power Arc saddle.

I'm sure I'm annoying many purists out there...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
You mean like this? :mrgreen:
Attachments
bikes.jpg
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

guyc

by guyc

They're just bloody good wheels. The idea that you can only run them on Campag bikes is nuts.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Might be, we're all different!
I have ordered another set of wheels so i'm set anyway.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Ohhh that De Rosa is smoking hot!

Lugan

by Lugan

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:07 pm
Lugan wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:01 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
I'm ok with interracial marriage: DA 9000 group with Bora WTO 60 on an Argon 18 Nitrogen Pro. I put the DA on the bike originally, and now 3-4 years later, I added the WTO wheels because they were the best choice from a performance and compatibility point of view for that particular bike and how/where/when I ride it.
"best choice from a performance and compatibility point of view for that particular bike and how/where/when I ride it"
- Why's that?
What other wheels doesn't compete?
I wanted tubeless clinchers that were a bit wider internally, but needed to be narrow externally to fit in the frame (specifically, the wierd v-brake calipers constrain the space) - but not so narrow that the 23c Schalbe Pro One v1 tires bulge too much. External width needed to be right around 25-26mm, and those tires would plump out to about that range too on about 19mm internal width. This was the constraint that narrowed the field for me, and made me think about just selling the bike and starting over with more space to work with. I also wanted the wheels to be light, stiff, 60+mm deep, and some semblance of aerodynamic thought going into the shape of the rim - in other words, I wanted generally great wheels. Having ridden Bora One 50 clinchers previously, a wheel I really liked, and seeing this new WTO generation come out with the right characteristics and tubeless compaitbility, it was an easy choice. Getting them for a great price made it doubly easy.

fogman

by fogman

The fact that so many Shimano and SRAM group set users are purposely using (mismatched) Campagnolo wheel sets says a lot about how good the Boras must be. Compliments to the Campagnolo brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Anyone have any news on the next Bora WTO wheels coming down the pipeline? I'm really hoping a relatively shallow 35mm set comes out to replace the Bora One 35 db...
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

Lugan

by Lugan

fogman wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:49 pm
The fact that so many Shimano and SRAM group set users are purposely using (mismatched) Campagnolo wheel sets says a lot about how good the Boras must be.
They really are excellent.

RossLB

by RossLB

I have Boras 35s on my Dura Ace bike. I also have some Fulcrum Speed 40Cs and Enve 3.4s. I prefer the Boras and Fulcrums to the Enves. I thought the extra width of the Enves would improve handling but they actually feel more disconnected from the road and do not handle as well as the Boras. The Fulcrum/Campag AC3 braking I also find better than the Enve braking surface.

I marginally prefer the Boras to the Fulcrums, even though they are virtually identical. The Boras just feel a little stiffer and the handling is a bit sharper on technical descents. Possibly due to the G3 spoke pattern compared to the similar, but different spoke pattern of the Fulcrums. The Boras are just fantastic wheels all round - stiff, with great handling, but also comfortable.

I'm tempted by the WTOs, but concerned that with the extra width might affect their handling detrimentally, and lose some of the magic of the Boras.
Attachments
IMG_4083.JPG

Lafolie

by Lafolie

there is supposed to be a bora wto coming out with a carbon hub soon. ( like the bora ultra )

DudeCrush

by DudeCrush

Just fitted the WTOs with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tubeless tyres.

Can't wait to get out for my first ride with them tomorrow. Its a seriously nice upgrade from the Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon Clinchers I had before.ImageImage

zappafile123

by zappafile123

DudeCrush wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:08 pm
Just fitted the WTOs with Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tubeless tyres.

Can't wait to get out for my first ride with them tomorrow. Its a seriously nice upgrade from the Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon Clinchers I had before.ImageImage

Bro, you know having more than 2.5cm of spacers below the stem voids the warranty right? At least thats what I was told when I worked for them. You can do it and get away with a warranty if it fails... but I wouldn't push it (did you see that Jumbo rider's steerer fail the other day?). I imagine you've got some kind of physical complaint if you need that many spacers - get some riser bars instead (e.g. like the bars on the the first gen Venge VIAS). OTH if you dont have a physical issue, HTFU, stretch, do some core and cut the *f##k* thing down to 2.5cm. At the very least cut off that huge chunk above the stem.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

I thought the warranty issue was having >5mm ABOVE the stem?

The bianchi manuals say max 5mm above and max 35mm below. Interestingly it also says min 5mm below. I guess regardless, he's got more than that both above and below.
Chasse patate