Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Nickldn

by Nickldn

wooly wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:21 pm
I put on 25’s mainly due to my bikes clearance. I haven’t ridden them yet but hope to in a couple of days. I’ve got some 28’s mounted to another set of wheels and think they’re great. First time running tubeless on my road bike and like it more than I thought I would.
I'll say this through gritted teeth: may try 28 tubless :|

What size did your GP5000s TL 25mms come up at on the WTOs?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bqbs1234

by bqbs1234

Anyone able to confirm the usual speed sensor shape (e.g. Garmin/wahoo) is able to be tied on tightly with these wheels, given the USB hubs aren’t flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arph

by Arph

I've seen people run Garmin speed sensor on WTOs with no issue, but haven't tried myself.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Nickldn wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:40 am
Been very unsuccessful today with mounting Vittoria Rubino Pro 25mm clinchers on WTO clinchers.

The tyres have been mounted unused on clinchers with a narrower internal width for some years and I thought why not try them on the WTOs.

It's really tough getting them on/off the wheels, I would not be able to do it by the roadside if I got a puncture.

Not sure if I can get the Rubinos to work more easily, or if I need to get another pair of tyres. Perhaps I'll flatten the Rubinos out for a few days to adjust to the wider internal width of the WTOs and then try again.

In the meantime what clinchers and tubless tyres (25mm) would you recommend with the WTOs?

I want reasonable puncture protection and good crr. Was thinking Schwalbe One Pros, or the ever popular Conti GP5000. Would these tyres be straightforward to mount tubless without a compressor?

Prefer the feel of Italian corespun tyres such as Vittoria Corsa, but the new Corsa G2.0 seems really slow and the Corsa Speed is too fragile.
I would really spend the $100 USD and get an "Air Shot" if you're going to consistently run tubeless. I used this thing and it just works every time. It can blast 140-160psi instantly and seat your tube. You pump it with a standard floor pump then let 'er rip.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

guyc

by guyc

bqbs1234 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:20 am
Anyone able to confirm the usual speed sensor shape (e.g. Garmin/wahoo) is able to be tied on tightly with these wheels, given the USB hubs aren’t flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Works fine. I run Garmin ones.

andreasklae

by andreasklae

Is there any advice for a tubeless tyre that is easily to install on those WTO rims? The Conti 5000TL are really painful to get on those rims and I fear the day when I have to replace them. Certainly not with the 5000s.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

andreasklae wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:03 pm
Is there any advice for a tubeless tyre that is easily to install on those WTO rims? The Conti 5000TL are really painful to get on those rims and I fear the day when I have to replace them. Certainly not with the 5000s.
I run schwalbe pro one (the new tubeless version) on my WTO 45s, it was an absolute breeze to put on. I didn't even need levers, just pushed them on by hand (make sure the tire sits in the middle of the rim though). I've had more trouble with some clinchers on non-tubeless rims (I'm looking at you Conti).

I haven't ridden 5000s, but used to be ride mostly Conti before (with sometimes some ultremo's in the mix). I don't know if it changed with the 5000s, but one thing I always noticed with Conti compared to Schwalbe is that the Conti wear into a very square shape (especially on the rear), Schwalbe much less so. So while I often found the conti's to be excellent at the beginning, you could feel the tire degrade even if it had plenty of life still in them (I often put them on my training wheels after a while).

Some have reported the Schwalbe to leak sealant through the sidewalls. I'm not sure if that was a problem with early batches, but I've not had any issues. I also swirl around the tires a bit and let them sit after installing not sure if that makes a difference.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Got my Vittoria Rubino Pro clinchers on by hand now.

Getting them off still requires a bit of lever support though. It would be a total pain to change tubes at the side of the road

So I have just got a Corsa Speed TLR, let's see how that goes on the wheel. I feel more confident with sealant then tubes.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

andreasklae

by andreasklae

Good to hear that there are alternatives to the Contis (which run great once they're on BTW). Thanks for your replies!

neeb

by neeb

Anyone know what Campagnolo's plans are for tubular rim brake wheels going forward? Will the Bora Ultra/One be the last new tubular rim brake wheels..?

I see that Fulcrum are now doing disk brake tubular wheelsets (the 55T DB and 40T DB) that are 26.5mm wide. But they offer no rim brake tubulars. Campagnolo's tub options are all the 24.5mm Ultras and Ones (rim and disk brake).

Can we expect a wider tubular disk brake wheel from Campagnolo (like a WTO DB tubular)? How about a wider rim brake tubular?

If they aren't planning to develop more tubular wheels, will they continue to sell the Ultras and Ones indefinitely?

kevinw

by kevinw

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:16 pm
So I have just got a Corsa Speed TLR, let's see how that goes on the wheel. I feel more confident with sealant then tubes.
What size corsa speeds did you go for? I'm thinking of 23mm on the front and 25mm on the rear - wasn't sure what the actual width of the tyre one mounted would be and was worried about it mushrooming...

Nickldn

by Nickldn

kevinw wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:15 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:16 pm
What size corsa speeds did you go for? I'm thinking of 23mm on the front and 25mm on the rear - wasn't sure what the actual width of the tyre one mounted would be and was worried about it mushrooming...
I won't mount the Speed until my current (tubed) Rubino Pro is worn out, which will take a while, so the Speed is just sitting in the cupboard for now.

Not sure if I want a 23mm tyre, loss of comfort is too much for me to deal with compared to the small aero gain. The outer width of the WTO is 26.5mm so should be OKish with 25mm tyre and 105% rule.

kevinw

by kevinw

I'd read that the 25mm speeds stretch to 27mm on c19 rims so thought the 23mm might end up more like 25mm?

Only one way to find out I suppose.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

kevinw wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:05 am
I'd read that the 25mm speeds stretch to 27mm on c19 rims so thought the 23mm might end up more like 25mm?

Only one way to find out I suppose.
27mm is far too much, I was hoping the Speeds would come up a bit narrower! My 25mm Rubino Pro clinchers come up about 26mm, which seems OK for the 105% rule.

I'm still not sure if I'd be happy with 23mm tyres though, even if they come up to 25mm on the rim. The smaller volume of air is likely to impact comfort and I'm not prepared to accept that. I know it's bad, but I'd rather take the aero loss.

I guess the Bora WTOs are actually about 1mm too narrow, a 19mm internal width and 27.5mm external width would be really good for 25mm tyres.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:36 pm
I'm still not sure if I'd be happy with 23mm tyres though, even if they come up to 25mm on the rim. The smaller volume of air is likely to impact comfort and I'm not prepared to accept that. I know it's bad, but I'd rather take the aero loss.
I wonder if the volume would actually be any smaller though? The width designation is just a number, based on how wide the tyres are supposed be on a narrower rim at some pressure... What matters is the width when mounted, and as that increases the volume of air inside will also increase (imagine the area underneath an arch when you increase the distance between the two bases of the arch - by using a wider rim with the same tyre you are effectively increasing the cicrumference of the total section).

The only reason I can think of why two tyres measuring the same width on the same rim would have different volumes when mounted would be if they adopted significantly different shapes when inflated - I'd imagine that any such differences would be pretty subtle though?