Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Zorka

by Zorka

robertbb wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:51 pm
Zorka wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:37 am
wilwil wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 pm
I'm concerned that the red Campag brake pads aren't wearing out fast enough. Yet the little grooves on the brake tracks are getting very shallow. The WTOs have done no more than 4000 miles. Are Campag pads too hard I wonder.
Just thinking about the same thing, that red pads seems to be a bit hard and almost no wearing. Is it normal, or I can get some better/softer pads out there to replace them? Btw. I have AC3 too.

Those AC3 grooves wearing down is common. That's not to say it's a good thing, it's just common. I agree the red pads are very hard and I've also been looking for a replacement for my Bora (35's). The danger with some softer pads is that they pick up more crud that could damage the surface, so look for soft pads that aren't sticky... if that makes sense.

The SwissStop black prince seem to be a very good option but I've never tried them myself.

Well, maybe we only can hope Campagnolo know what are they doing..

guyc

by guyc

Just use the pads Campag recommend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LewisK

by LewisK

Use the red campag pads! Ive got a set of Racing zero carbons that have the AC3 braking surface, braking is spot on. I make sure I clean the rim and brake pads on a regular basis!

morrisond

by morrisond

duende wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:51 am
Rezlly starting to get used to them. The ride quality is a touch smoother than my non disc Bora 35s (which I LOVE). Bought these as a second set of wheels for my "all road" bike. Glad I did... Runnin 25mm Vittoria Corsa with Tubes for now. I can't imagine any wheels being better than Bora's right now.

Nice bike - Mosaic GT-1, GT-2? How stiff do you find it in acceleration with those wheels and tires on it? Any idea of what sized DT and CS's you have?

How do find the front end Compliance with the ENVE GRD and those Wheels/Tires.

Thanks

I've had two Mosaic's before (RT-1's) and thinking of number 3.

duende

by duende

morrisond wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:26 pm
duende wrote:
Rezlly starting to get used to them. The ride quality is a touch smoother than my non disc Bora 35s (which I LOVE). Bought these as a second set of wheels for my "all road" bike. Glad I did... Runnin 25mm Vittoria Corsa with Tubes for now. I can't imagine any wheels being better than Bora's right now.

Nice bike - Mosaic GT-1, GT-2? How stiff do you find it in acceleration with those wheels and tires on it? Any idea of what sized DT and CS's you have?

Thanks

GT-1, Don't know what the DownTube measurement is, but the ChainStays are 420mm.

Front end compliance is super smooth and confidence inspiring. Personally I can't imagine wheels that acelerate better than the Boras and their G3 lacing. Never come across anything remotely close. Especially for someone at my near Clyde weight! ;)

The 44 HT, GRD fork, Bora/Corsa combo really shows the full road capabilities of the bike. Btw... My gravel wheels are Enve 3.4's with Rene Hearse Steilacoom Pass tires I am super happy with the 3.4s with their hooked beads for off road. They're amazing climbing wheels that can take punishment on the downhills.

But the Bora 45's with 25mm tires are smoking fast! No comparison.

morrisond

by morrisond

duende wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm
morrisond wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:26 pm
duende wrote:

Thanks

GT-1, Don't know what the DownTube measurement is, but the ChainStays are 420mm.

Front end compliance is super smooth and confidence inspiring. Personally I can't imagine wheels that acelerate better than the Boras and their G3 lacing. Never come across anything remotely close. Especially for someone at my near Clyde weight! ;)

The 44 HT, GRD fork, Bora/Corsa combo really shows the full road capabilities of the bike. Btw... My gravel wheels are Enve 3.4's with Rene Hearse Steilacoom Pass tires I am super happy with the 3.4s with their hooked beads for off road. They're amazing climbing wheels that can take punishment on the downhills.

But the Bora 45's with 25mm tires are smoking fast! No comparison.
Thanks - good to hear on the GRD Fork compliance - that would be one of the first ENVE forks (other than good old plain 1-1/8 Straight Rim Road) to ride well. I've had every other ENVE fork (other than the new Gravel 45mm one) and they all were pretty harsh.

I hear you on the Wheel Stiffness. I'm over Clyde weight and swear by Campy Rear wheels for acceleration. I have had BORA's and they are great but if you ever want something even stiffer the Shamal DB with Aluminum spokes is even stiffer than Bora's. Awesome wheels but not as Aero.

duende

by duende

I was naively concerned that running a 25mm tire on a GRD would ride oddly or at least look abnormally weird. But it's rides and looks great. :)
Attachments
EA64877F-055B-4916-A9FF-823DC0F4ABC9.jpeg

andertxu

by andertxu

My Orca Aero MY2020 with the WTOs and SR12 EPS ImageImage

Enviado desde mi S3_Pro mediante Tapatalk

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

do they still use green loctite on their spoke nipples?

have they updated the freehub pawl spring that likes to snap?

great hubs and rims otherwise.

dannywin42

by dannywin42

Spez wrote:
morrisond wrote:Has anyone seem WTO Disc 45's in the wild? Are they actually for sale or is there a delay?

In the wild, bought ‘m a month agoImage
Any review of them? I'm in the middle of deciding on a new build (addict rc) and am totally at odds with what wheels to go with. I'm currently between the 45 wto disk, zipp 303nsw, reynolds 46 and the rival clx50

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

RossLB

by RossLB

Not a great photo, but I'm very impressed with the wheels. Smooth rolling and very stiff without being harsh.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

dannywin42 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:01 pm
Spez wrote:
morrisond wrote:Has anyone seem WTO Disc 45's in the wild? Are they actually for sale or is there a delay?

Any review of them? I'm in the middle of deciding on a new build (addict rc) and am totally at odds with what wheels to go with. I'm currently between the 45 wto disk, zipp 303nsw, reynolds 46 and the rival clx50

what do you want the wheels to do?

i'd say reynolds for the money. $1600 and change and they will roll better than zipp, be less susceptible to sidewinds than roval, and not have the maintenance issues of the WTOs (fragile freehub spring and frozen loctited spoke nipples).

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

these servers...

dannywin42

by dannywin42

FactoryMatt wrote:
dannywin42 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:01 pm
Spez wrote:

what do you want the wheels to do?

i'd say reynolds for the money. $1600 and change and they will roll better than zipp, be less susceptible to sidewinds than roval, and not have the maintenance issues of the WTOs (fragile freehub spring and frozen loctited spoke nipples).
Thanks for reply. Need an all rounder really as they will be on the best bike and so will do everything from a bit of racing ( although suspect I'll build up a cheaper older frameset for racing primarily) to chain gangs and ultimately will be the wheelset I take to the Marmotte this year so they need to climb well too. I want something stiff enough that wont be flexing climbing out of the saddle and feel and handle responsibly, hence my interest in the Bora due to reports of good stiffness and response , and hence why I'm not really considering the 303 FC. Problem is not being able to test ride any and not many actual real world reviews on any of them. Have you ridden the Reynolds?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

I havent but have owned bora 35s FWIW. Ill have a ride report on the reynolds 65s soon tho.

Tour mag did a test on pretty much all these in issue 10/2017. Reynolds tested the stiffest laterally. Dont think they test torsional. You can get it via Tour Mag app. Its worth it.

You could always relace the reynolds with aerocomp spokes as well since they dont use proprietary stuff like the others. They have good hub geo and dont use any radial spokes.

Intheknowcycling did a review on them and liked them alot.

I think the Boras would also be great just with a little more sidewind susceptibility and the warranty/support/proprietary parts/freehub/nipple headaches. They ride ok and will be stiff enough.