Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MariusRO

by MariusRO

montee wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:02 pm
For lots of climbing, 33 vs 45 - are 33s a no-brainer? (Rim brake, tubeless).

I know how good Boras are (already have some 60s), just trying to convince myself that 33s are worthwhile over similar weight alloy wheels &/or that the weight saving & crosswind handling outweighs the aero benefits of 45s for riding in the mountains.
How do you feel with the 60's when riding uphill (constant gradient like 6-7%)?
How about ups & downs short climbs/hilly terrain?

usr

by usr

I think we have to face the reality that we won't ever see another aero improvement of even remotely the magnitude that we saw going from macaroni-spoke Ksyriums to deep section. It simply won't happen. Consider the hypothetical best wheel that could be built within rule and material constraints. Nobody knows how exactly it would look, but I suspect that the current generation isn't far. Even if you remove material constraints, lighter, sure, but how much more areo? Spokes in NACA profile made from whatever material they dream of for building a space elevator? Sure. How many watts would they save over steel? Probably not that many.

Speaking of spokes, what's up with all those 18 on deep section rim brake front wheels? For aluminium 16 front was pretty much mainstream, now it seems to be super rare?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

My WTO 60s feel better in crosswinds than my old Bora 50s did. I'd imagine that the WTO 45s would be significantly better.

With the WTO 60s I feel gusts but they are somehow a little less disconcerting than they were on the 50s.

montee

by montee

MariusRO wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:36 pm
montee wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:02 pm
For lots of climbing, 33 vs 45 - are 33s a no-brainer? (Rim brake, tubeless).

I know how good Boras are (already have some 60s), just trying to convince myself that 33s are worthwhile over similar weight alloy wheels &/or that the weight saving & crosswind handling outweighs the aero benefits of 45s for riding in the mountains.
How do you feel with the 60's when riding uphill (constant gradient like 6-7%)?
How about ups & downs short climbs/hilly terrain?
The 60s climb ok. Over a 10km 6-7% climb (some steeper ramps) they feel fine, just a bit less spritely than lighter wheels. Over less steep rollers they are really good. They also handle pretty well in cross-winds, though I havent descended on them in anything really windy. Makes me think that the 45s would probably be ok, but best to go with the 33s for really hilly stuff. There's still a bit of worry about descending on carbon clinchers, but I've not heard any reports of WTOs melting & they seem a reliable tubeless setup.

Cat6Barrister

by Cat6Barrister

I just got the 45 wto disc and wow they're amazing. Did a couple laps at my local park and did not realize how windy it was till after uploading the ride to strava. Whereas my bora-one felt attracted to crosswind. I'd love to own the 60mm depth ones someday but the 45's seem like the perfect all day wheels. Now if only campy wheels werent so quiet out the box...

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Cat6Barrister wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:53 am
I just got the 45 wto disc and wow they're amazing. Did a couple laps at my local park and did not realize how windy it was till after uploading the ride to strava. Whereas my bora-one felt attracted to crosswind. I'd love to own the 60mm depth ones someday but the 45's seem like the perfect all day wheels. Now if only campy wheels werent so quiet out the box...
After several hundred miles on the WTO 45's I have to agree they are good in crosswinds. I feel a gentle tug on the bars in windy conditions, but nothing to worry about.

I have to say though the Easton 55mm deep wheels which are on my Propel do hold speed above 20mph noticeably better than the WTO 45's. Would love to try the WTO 60's on that bike, but that is just a dream.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Cat6Barrister

by Cat6Barrister

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:06 pm
Cat6Barrister wrote:
After several hundred miles on the WTO 45's I have to agree they are good in crosswinds. I feel a gentle tug on the bars in windy conditions, but nothing to worry about.

I have to say though the Easton 55mm deep wheels which are on my Propel do hold speed above 20mph noticeably better than the WTO 45's. Would love to try the WTO 60's on that bike, but that is just a dream.
We can dream indeed hahahah. A potential alternative is to just have. 60mm rear wheel. Someone should write to campy and ask they sell 45/60 combos.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Cat6Barrister wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:51 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:06 pm
Cat6Barrister wrote:

We can dream indeed hahahah. A potential alternative is to just have. 60mm rear wheel. Someone should write to campy and ask they sell 45/60 combos.
ZIPP used to sell a 606 wheelset, with a 404 front and 808 rear. Giant also used to sell their Propel with similar wheel depths, not sure if they still do.

I'd be inclined to go with a rear full disk wheel, but it looks a bit ott on a ride out. :lol:
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

frankpaul1

by frankpaul1

Came back from a nice ride yesterday and discovered a crack in my WTO45 DB rear wheel today while cleaning. :cry: I'm looking to have it repaired/replaced under warranty but I was wondering if this is a structural part of the wheel or if the stiffness comes from the bead and rim. Can I still ride it?
Attachments
Velg 3.jpg

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yikes! I'm sorry to say that the wheel is unridable. Campy should take care of you.

frankpaul1

by frankpaul1

Was afraid of that... Will contact Campagnolo asap.

smokva

by smokva

frankpaul1 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 pm
Came back from a nice ride yesterday and discovered a crack in my WTO45 DB rear wheel today while cleaning. :cry: I'm looking to have it repaired/replaced under warranty but I was wondering if this is a structural part of the wheel or if the stiffness comes from the bead and rim. Can I still ride it?
Don't even think about it!

kevinw

by kevinw

Keep us updated on what Campy say - good luck.

moonoi

by moonoi

Cat6Barrister wrote: We can dream indeed hahahah. A potential alternative is to just have. 60mm rear wheel. Someone should write to campy and ask they sell 45/60 combos.
Ask and you shall receive, at least here in Thailand anyway…the Campy distributor does sell such a combination…WTO 45/60 for both rim and disc brake version

Cat6Barrister

by Cat6Barrister

moonoi wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:54 pm
Cat6Barrister wrote: We can dream indeed hahahah. A potential alternative is to just have. 60mm rear wheel. Someone should write to campy and ask they sell 45/60 combos.
Ask and you shall receive, at least here in Thailand anyway…the Campy distributor does sell such a combination…WTO 45/60 for both rim and disc brake version

Damn haha, I guess I need to start asking for more things.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com