Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
kevinw

by kevinw

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 pm
Spoke to a UAE team mechanic at Tour of California this past weekend. Told me riders prefer the WTO for flat stages and the BA’s for climbs. He also told me the contract with Colnago is coming up and implied change is coming.
What are BA's - sorry if obvious?

fxx

by fxx

kevinw wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
Spoke to a UAE team mechanic at Tour of California this past weekend. Told me riders prefer the WTO for flat stages and the BA’s for climbs. He also told me the contract with Colnago is coming up and implied change is coming.
Boras?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

fxx wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 pm
kevinw wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
Boras?

Bora Ultras. Sorry meant to write BU, not BA.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

kevinw

by kevinw

Makes sense - I love tubeless but I don't think we will see them compete weight wise with tubs any time soon. I wonder if they do have a tubular version of the WTO in the works or if campag will just stick with the ultras as their tubular performace wheel.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The thing is the WTO’s are a wider rim (19mm internal, 26?mm external). That’s fine for clinchers but not required, or wanted, for a tubular of normal race size (+\-25mm). The current Boras have a very nice rim bed shape for those size tubulars, say from 24-27mm. Bigger than a 27mm tubular and your in Paris Roubaix territory. So I don’t know, they very well might introduce an “Ultra WTO” tubular version but I have no indication of that either way or how they might alter the current rim bed etc, if at all. Functionally I don’t think it could be much better than the current Bora Ultras but a refresh is always good for sales numbers.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wilwil

by wilwil

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:44 pm
fxx wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:12 pm
kevinw wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:
Boras?

Bora Ultras. Sorry meant to write BU, not BA.
Would that be BUs with tubs? Otherwise I cant see why using a BU 50 mm or a WTO 45 would make any difference.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Got my WTO 60s the other day, but been busy and not had chance to really do anything with them... they look pretty sweet though!!!

Did notice immediately the difference in the axle freeness between my CULT Bora Ultras and the USB bearing... the USB are very smooth believe me, but they don't have that crazy free spin the CULT system did.....

Tire wise, I have a set of spare turbo cotton 24s in the basement, I am going to mount them up to see... I always ran 24s on my Roval CLX wheels.. gonna mount one up and check it out.... if all else fails the shop has piles of cotton 26s in stock....

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Mounted up a Turbo Cotton 700X24 with a Challenge Latex tube to the front WTO 60... bit of a PITA on mounting... the last 6 inches was a struggle... but got it there... at 100psi the tire measured 25mm compared to on my Bora Ultra 50, it measured 24mm exactly at the same pressure...

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I've abandoned narrow tires for wider tires. GP5K 28s on my Bora 50s. They measure exactly 28mm wide and bulge out significantly but I'm faster and more comfortable on the wider tires. I don't notice any loss of aeroness. All of my rides start off with a steep descent and I've noticed a higher terminal velocity on the GP5K 28s vs. GP4K 25s.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

How are you liking the GP5Ks? Ive been using Spec S works Turbos and Turbo cottons for the past 3 years and like em.. but Ive been hit with a rash of flats lately.. from the rolling resistance data around, the 5K seems like its the fastest thing around, and has great puncture protection... I guess glass is glass though.. its either going all the way in or its not :x

neeb

by neeb

I've been running GP5Ks for a week or two now on some Reynolds Aero 58s - a rather similar profile to the Bora 60s (external 26.2 vs. 26.5), although with a narrower internal width. I've been using the 23mm though.

Really like them. They feel fast, grippy and smooth. The biggest issue I have with them is that they smell! An overpowering new rubber smell out of the box, and even after a few miles I can still smell them. It's an issue if you keep several bikes in a small flat.. :D

Regarding width and pdlpsher1's comments, BOTH the 28mm and the 25mm will be wider than the external rim width on Bora 50 clinchers, so there may indeed be little between them aerodynamically... 23mm would be faster! (depending on surface, rider weight etc). On the WTOs the 25mm might be almost as aero.

You may have guessed that I'm not a convert to wideness.. For me at least wider tyres feel slower and are slower (although the fact that most of the route of my local 10 mile TT course has just been resurfaced with nice smooth tarmac and I'm only 64kg may be factors in that...).

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

neeb wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:36 am
I've been running GP5Ks for a week or two now on some Reynolds Aero 58s - a rather similar profile to the Bora 60s (external 26.2 vs. 26.5), although with a narrower internal width. I've been using the 23mm though.

Really like them. They feel fast, grippy and smooth. The biggest issue I have with them is that they smell! An overpowering new rubber smell out of the box, and even after a few miles I can still smell them. It's an issue if you keep several bikes in a small flat.. :D

Regarding width and pdlpsher1's comments, BOTH the 28mm and the 25mm will be wider than the external rim width on Bora 50 clinchers, so there may indeed be little between them aerodynamically... 23mm would be faster! (depending on surface, rider weight etc). On the WTOs the 25mm might be almost as aero.

You may have guessed that I'm not a convert to wideness.. For me at least wider tyres feel slower and are slower (although the fact that most of the route of my local 10 mile TT course has just been resurfaced with nice smooth tarmac and I'm only 64kg may be factors in that...).
Im not into the wide stuff either... Im thinking about going to the GP5000s... definately will be a 23 on my Bora Ultra 50s, but the WTOs and my CLX I am up in the air if I should go 23 or 25.. Ive always used 24s onthe CLXs, seems the 23 5000 expands out to almost 25?? So Im thinking 23s all round on everything...

kevinw

by kevinw

I'm running the 25mm GP5K TLs on my WTO 60s.

I need to measure them but just by looking at them i wonder if the 23mm would be more aero - I'm not usually a fan of mixing tyre widths but I might experiment with 23 front 25 back.

skyboy

by skyboy

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:42 pm
I've abandoned narrow tires for wider tires. GP5K 28s on my Bora 50s. They measure exactly 28mm wide and bulge out significantly but I'm faster and more comfortable on the wider tires. I don't notice any loss of aeroness. All of my rides start off with a steep descent and I've noticed a higher terminal velocity on the GP5K 28s vs. GP4K 25s.
The advantage of using deep section wheels is marginal, so that's why you don't notice it.
But why use expensive deep section wheels and remove the aero advantage by using wide tyres?
Just use cheaper narrow section wheels or expensive narrow light wheels if you want comfort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

50mm is not that deep and aero to begin with. The Bora 50s are my everyday wheels including climbing rides. They are light enough for climbing. The weight penalty is only 110g. compared to my Bora 35 Ultras (1,463g. vs. 1,353g). If I wanted a truly aero setup I'll be using 90mm rims.