Bora WTO

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

For anyone wondering, the WTO uses the sme CULT bering kit as the Bora Ultra wheels... if you can locate the cups/cones seperately you can save yourself a little bit of money as the bearing are the same as the USB.. I just ended up getting the entire kits for F/R and now I have some spare bearings.. WTO 60 dark labels should be here Friday.. they are getting the CULT treatment and Spec Cotton Turbos 26s with Latex tubes..should be quick!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Are you doing the replacing of the cups within the WTO hubs yourself? I hope you or whoever is doing it knows what they are doing and have the proper tools, etc. WTO wheels do not have the CULT bearings/cups. Sounds like you know that and have purchased a CULT bearing kit for Bora wheels. However, does that kit come with the actual cups that go into the hub shells themselves? I don't know. But you do need those cups. And the tools to remove and press the CULT cups in properly. Some time ago now, you actually had to remove all the spokes in order to remove and replace those cups in a set of Boras. Not the case now, but you still need to know what you are doing. I've never had occasion to do it, but I do have the tools etc., if I ever wanted to. But just slapping some ceramic bearings from a Bora wheel into non treated cups does not end up with CULT system, unless you were to replace the actual cups in the hub shells along with them.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bruno2000

by bruno2000

ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:50 pm
For anyone wondering, the WTO uses the sme CULT bering kit as the Bora Ultra wheels... if you can locate the cups/cones seperately you can save yourself a little bit of money as the bearing are the same as the USB.. I just ended up getting the entire kits for F/R and now I have some spare bearings.. WTO 60 dark labels should be here Friday.. they are getting the CULT treatment and Spec Cotton Turbos 26s with Latex tubes..should be quick!!
I thought using latex tubes was not recommended bij Campagnolo in their carbon clincher wheels an din general.
Latex does not deal very well with the heat build-up from braking.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

bruno2000 wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:
I thought using latex tubes was not recommended bij Campagnolo in their carbon clincher wheels an din general.

Heat is not so much of a concern as sharp edges of the carbon rim walls. Some manufacturers exhibit higher tolerances. We could say “better than others”. Easiest way to check is to run a finger through the rim wall. If it’s super smooth, it’s safer to run latex tubes.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

bruno2000 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 am
ParisCarbon wrote:
My biggest descent to worry about building hear up are the overpasses 20 feet high :)

wilwil

by wilwil

Should I be running tubeless on my WTO 45? I had to repair a tubeless wheel for somebody and the tyre was full of white liquid. Had to remove the tyre outside and hose it down the drain. Is this liquid necessary when running tubeless to avoid punctures? Im not sure I want this stuff running round the rim and I see corrosion warnings in the instruction manual about it. Will the ride be much better with tubeless? Will tubeless get the best out of the wheels?

neeb

by neeb

Completely up to you, and absolutely no need to run tubeless just because the wheels CAN be run tubeless. The benefits are hyped a lot but are most significant if you are wanting to ride wide tyres at lower pressures on bad road surfaces (in which case you will lose the aero benefits of the wheels anyway, which are really what they are all about).

I’d stick some 23mm Continental 5000s on them (which will probably measure about 25mm on the 19mm internals, only just narrow enough for aero benefits with the 26.5mm external width) and run them with 50g supersonic butyl tubes.. Others will have wildly different opinions.. :D

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

neeb wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:27 pm
Completely up to you, and absolutely no need to run tubeless just because the wheels CAN be run tubeless. The benefits are hyped a lot but are most significant if you are wanting to ride wide tyres at lower pressures on bad road surfaces (in which case you will lose the aero benefits of the wheels anyway, which are really what they are all about).

I’d stick some 23mm Continental 5000s on them (which will probably measure about 25mm on the 19mm internals, only just narrow enough for aero benefits with the 26.5mm external width) and run them with 50g supersonic butyl tubes.. Others will have wildly different opinions.. :D
Interesting.. I was gonna go with Turbo 26 cottons, but now Im starting to think a 24 since it will spread to maybe a 26.. Im using challenge latex tubes...

commendatore

by commendatore

I just ordered tubeless 25mm GP5000s after much internal debate. At the end of the day I was won over by the rolling resistance testing.

guyc

by guyc

ParisCarbon wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:04 pm
neeb wrote:

Interesting.. I was gonna go with Turbo 26 cottons, but now Im starting to think a 24 since it will spread to maybe a 26.. Im using challenge latex tubes...
Turbo Cottons don't come up wide on WTO's. They're designed for 25-28mm tyres. Use the 26's.

neeb

by neeb

guyc wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 am
ParisCarbon wrote:
neeb wrote:

Turbo Cottons don't come up wide on WTO's. They're designed for 25-28mm tyres. Use the 26's.
Even if they measure 26mm exactly when mounted, that's still not optimal aerodynamically on 26.5mm rims.

Depends on a whole bunch of factors - rider weight, road surfaces, how much you prioritise speed over comfort..

The problem with rolling resistance data you find online is that it is biased by current marketing trends towards "wider".. So they will assume rougher surfaces and heavier rider weights.

But given the relative cost of tyres compared to these wheels, you could always just get both sizes and play around with them.. :D

seamaster76

by seamaster76

A few ours ago af Stage 8th of Giro d’Italia

ImageImage

bruno2000

by bruno2000

guyc wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 am
ParisCarbon wrote:
neeb wrote:

I tried Turbo Cottons 24mm on Bora Ultra wheels and they seemed small if you compare with aCora 25 or Michelin Power 25

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Spoke to a UAE team mechanic at Tour of California this past weekend. Told me riders prefer the WTO for flat stages and the BA’s for climbs. He also told me the contract with Colnago is coming up and implied change is coming.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Seems logical for the choice of wheels
thanks for the intel