Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST tubeless tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zefs

by zefs

I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST wheels which came with Yksion Pro UST tires, which can be mounted by hand (supple casing).
I just purchased the Schwalbe Pro One Evo tubeless tires to test them but they won't mount on the rims even with tire levers, the casing is way too hard. Has anyone managed to do it? should I be sending them back? Both sets are 25c.
Basically I was looking for a cheaper tire since the Yksion's are expensive and the Schwalbe is a better racing tire probably.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orlok

by Orlok

zefs wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:56 pm
I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST wheels which came with Yksion Pro UST tires, which can be mounted by hand (supple casing).
I just purchased the Schwalbe Pro One Evo tubeless tires to test them but they won't mount on the rims even with tire levers, the casing is way too hard. Has anyone managed to do it? should I be sending them back? Both sets are 25c.
Basically I was looking for a cheaper tire since the Yksion's are expensive and the Schwalbe is a better racing tire probably.
I suggest that you buy and try the Schwalbe tire levers:

Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

zefs

by zefs

Thanks for the video, actually I have those but was using the Mavic ones. They did a better job but still no go, and that is for the front wheel which has 24mm depth... Should I try to leave the tires on the sun for few hours and try again or just replace them for another brand?

wingguy

by wingguy

One of the big things Mavic claim with their UST is that the tolerances of the bead diameters for rim and tyre are much tighter than for any competitors they tested. Normally I'd call bull shit, but given how easily and cleanly Mavic UST tyres mount and seal compared to anything else I've seen out there, I'm inclined to believe them.

So while another brand of tyre might mount easier than the Schwalbes, they also might not. And if they mount too easily, they definitely won't seal without putting up a fight. Whereas if you get the Mavics again, they will mount easy and seal easy, guaranteed.

zefs

by zefs

That's true. I think the Yksion's are made by Hutchinson and have the same compound (11storm) but their offerings are similarly priced. I can't find anything about different tubeless tires with these wheels so it was a hit and miss.

cassard

by cassard

I agree with the schwalbe. I have a pair of mavic allroad pro disc UST mounted with schwalbe pro one 700x28 tubeless and after breaking 3 tire levers, I can assure you they are a ****** pain in the ass to mount.

Although I didn't have the schwalbe tire lever

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com