Lightweight Custom Disc Climber wheels required....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Am looking for a set of lightweight disc brakes climbing wheels that includes the following.

For Disc Brakes
Low Profile; Enve 3.4 too high for example
Hub designed for Thu Axle 12/142
Built for climbing weight of 92kg
A lightweight set of wheels
Has to be travel friendly, so no Lightweight Meilensteins or Wegweiser as they are too high in their profile and break to easily in a softbag
Price not the limitation factor

So either custom build or off the shelf, but I feel with what I want that custom is the way to go. ANy advice on rims and hubs would be greatly appreciated.
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

CLX32
32mm high
thru axle 12 100/142
109kg rider weight limit
travel friendly (did it with my Scicon bag no problem)

good thing about it is the rear wheel 2x/1x lacing leading to very good power transfer. wide rims and tires make descending very sure footed. wheelset is light enough if you prefer it. very well made and sturdy. dt internal is easy to service. this wheelset roll really smooth.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Dt240s disc brake hubs, light and heavy duty.

28h front 32h rear... weenie spokes are welcome (cx ray, cn424, aerolites)

Brass nipples (you could try alloy)

Rims I'm not sure about. If your roads can be bumpy and you want touring level reliability you'd need something beefier. If you rides are always 100k or less ending at home on medium smooth or better roads then sure go weenie. As you got disc brakes you should go carbon. Get a width that suits your tire choice. You don't wanna run like 28mm tires on 17mm internal width rims. That's just ridiculous. Better is 25mm rims and 23/25mm tires. (they become wider than specified on wide rims)

I hear people talk about farsports a lot lately. I'm a lightweight myself living in China so I use all the lightweight fake stuff and it works great for me. I wouldn't recommend for long touring/heavy riders/power riders/racing however.

/a

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Weight limits are not strictly. Just because a wheel has a 109 kg weight limit does not mean the op won't break spokes before the rim wears out.

Shallow rims dictate 28 spoke count rear or 32. The lower spoke count means thicker triple butter spokes.

Carbon ti hubs are the lightest reliable hubs on the market @300g per pair. 64 CX rays and alloy nipples weigh 320g in 290mm length. That's 620g before rims.

Mavic open pro UST or kinlin xr22rts rims are 435g each. That's 870g making 1490g total.

To be blunt this is the best spec. Dropping the spoke count to 28h saves 40g so what's the point.
Light rims exist like the DT Swiss rr411 but that does not make them better rims. Forget light rims if you want reliability.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What is your current lightest travel friendly wheelset?

How much does it weigh?

/a

ooo

by ooo

How is your travel load distributed? rear rack? front bag?
'

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

ENVE 3.4 Cinchers with Dt240 Hubs....around 1500grs. They are light, but still would prefer a lower rim height.
alcatraz wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm
What is your current lightest travel friendly wheelset?

How much does it weigh?

/a
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Neither! No rear rack or front bag.
ooo wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm
How is your travel load distributed? rear rack? front bag?

Strava
Instagram

guyc

by guyc

Anything shallower may well be a false win IMO. You could end with with a lighter rim but a less stiff wheelset and one that could, for someone your size and weight, be less efficient for climbing.

sychen

by sychen

Not sure how light a wheel you are looking for

schmolke does disc in their TLO30 and SL30 range.
Depending on hub choice .. will be just under or over the 1000g mark for the TL30. SL30 are slightly more at around 1100g.

Very light / 105kg weight limit / 12-142 thruaxles but not sure how soft bag friendly.

Tub only though.. dont see any requirements here.

Ax Lightness also have similarly light disc Tub wheels.
Too light? you did say price not an factor.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

1500gr and high quality and high performance.

To improve on this I'd recommend you consider tubulars and extralite hubs. The reliability and stiffness goes down but you could end up around 1000gr for the set. Shallow carbon clinchers weigh nearly the same as the enve's. There is not much to gain by weenying there.

I'm a 100% clincher man but for a pure climbing wheel I'm definitely going tubular. I'm sure I can find a tire that is durable and doesn't come with a big rolling resistance penalty. Tubular inner tubes are lighter than usual.

You could keep a spare at the hotel if you worry about getting stranded on your travels. Chances are you can fix the tire with simple trinkets like super glue, worms, sealant, preglued thin patches and so on. Just gotta learn how to use them before you travel.

/a

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

https://www.wheelworks.co.nz/

I bought a set of Maker with DT240 hubs
The owner Tristan is a pleasure to deal with.
Wheels are very well made, I've done about 12k km on uneven, pot holed roads an they still run perfectly true.
Great wheels to ride...I would absolutely buy another set from Wheelworks.

Been thinking of buying some tubular from

https://www.carbonbikewheels.com.au/en/

They have some very light wheels, for a disc brake
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Have decided on the CLX32, and due in store by Wednesday and for first ride on Thursday. :)

Thanks for the tip.
jlok wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:20 am
CLX32
32mm high
thru axle 12 100/142
109kg rider weight limit
travel friendly (did it with my Scicon bag no problem)

good thing about it is the rear wheel 2x/1x lacing leading to very good power transfer. wide rims and tires make descending very sure footed. wheelset is light enough if you prefer it. very well made and sturdy. dt internal is easy to service. this wheelset roll really smooth.

Strava
Instagram

moyboy

by moyboy

Got a set made from MCFK 35mm carbon rims with Extralite SPD2 hubs.
Weight came to just over 1200 grams.
alexneumuller wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:45 am
Am looking for a set of lightweight disc brakes climbing wheels that includes the following.

For Disc Brakes
Low Profile; Enve 3.4 too high for example
Hub designed for Thu Axle 12/142
Built for climbing weight of 92kg
A lightweight set of wheels
Has to be travel friendly, so no Lightweight Meilensteins or Wegweiser as they are too high in their profile and break to easily in a softbag
Price not the limitation factor

So either custom build or off the shelf, but I feel with what I want that custom is the way to go. ANy advice on rims and hubs would be greatly appreciated.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

New wheels installed and will take first ride tomorrow! At least they look good! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strava
Instagram

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com