Lubricate between nipple and rim with carbon rims?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NickJHP

by NickJHP

When building wheels with aluminium rims, I always use a bit of oil between the nipple and rim. Should I do the same when building with carbon rims? I'm using DT Swiss squorx brass nipples.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I used to do that but I don't see much benefit. I guess it helps to keep the anodizing on the nipples more intact, but you said you use brass so. :noidea:

What kind of build are you doing?

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The benefit during the build is to make the nipple easier to turn as opposed to adding any corrosive prevention properties. When tensions get high the incremental adjustments can become very small. Having the nipple able to turn as freely as possible at that stage makes final truing much easier and helps to limit spoke windup etc. do a light line between nipple and rim is not a bad thing. It’s been since I’ve built a wheel since so many high end builds are pre built these days. I’d defer to answers from the likes of @ergott or @bmf0p007... etc. All my carbon wheels are prebuilt but I think if I were building with carbon rims I’d use some sort of lube, but probably something a little more greaselike in weight as opposed to oil just to keep things cleaner. Perhaps something like Shimano’s Cable Grease. @ergott?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The benefit during the build is to make the nipple easier to turn as opposed to adding any corrosive prevention properties. When tensions get high the incremental adjustments can become very small. Having the nipple able to turn as freely as possible at that stage makes final truing much easier and helps to limit spoke windup etc. so a light lube between nipple and rim is not a bad thing. It’s been a while since I’ve built a wheel since so many high end builds are pre built these days. I’d defer to answers from the likes of @ergott or @bmf0p007... etc. All my carbon wheels are prebuilt but I think if I were building with carbon rims I’d use some sort of lube, but probably something a little more greaselike in weight as opposed to oil just to keep things cleaner. Perhaps something like Shimano’s Cable Grease. @ergott?
Last edited by Calnago on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by 11.4

There's no reason not to lubricate the nipples. It still allows them to slide more easily while tightening, and by the way, being brass may have a limited benefit on aluminum but has no benefit on carbon.

I actually like to use a Q-tip with some copper antiseize on it. It's less messy than oil and more effective. Just smear the tip of the Q-tip with antiseize, touch it to the spoke hole from the inside and rotate. Refresh the antiseize on the Q-tip and repeat.

ergott

by ergott

I use grease like do with the interface between nipple and rim for any build. Prevents corrosion and makes fasteners easier to turn for years. No downside other than more labor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kavitator

by kavitator

Quality build need oil or grease on spoke thread and under nipple head.