Zipp vs Roval

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Opinion: Thinking about swapping from my 2016 zipp 404 to roval clx 50s (maybe tubulars) to save about 300g .....does anyone have experience with both and can comment one way or the other? This would get me down to around 14 lbs on my Tarmac SL6 UL. My zipp 404 are the only wheels I have used since I switched to road from mountain bikes about a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

guyc

by guyc

Do you dislike anything about the Zipps?

Sounds like a pricey change otherwise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Not sure what kind af answer you're looking for. Both wheels are top wheels. The differences will not be notable except the obvious, which are stated in the specs. If weight is important, choose the lightest option. And I'm not sure it's a good idea to compare a clincher wheel to a tubular. If it's the difference in "feel", then I'd say you'll get very biased/random answers.

Not trying to be rude, just not sure what kind of answer you're looking for.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

guyc wrote:Do you dislike anything about the Zipps?

Sounds like a pricey change otherwise.
I do not dislike anything about the Zipps but honestly don’t have any comparison.

sethjs

by sethjs

I have a bunch of time on 303 tubulars and Roval CLX 50 clinchers.

I've cracked 4! Of the zipps. Never the Rovals (yet).

Rovals incrementally less likely to brake rub when climbing.

The newer zipp brake tracks (I've not ridden) are almost certainly better than the Rovals, which are exactly like the old 303s. Read: non existent in wet as the tracks are basically impregnated carbon with any laser or surface treatment. Campqgnolo Bora braking is massively better than both, and I imagine similar to the newer Zipp tracks.

Can run Rovals tubeless. Only the zipp disc wheels can go tubeless.

Net: i love the Rovals, but in the wet they're downright dangerous.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Multebear wrote:Not sure what kind af answer you're looking for. Both wheels are top wheels. The differences will not be notable except the obvious, which are stated in the specs. If weight is important, choose the lightest option. And I'm not sure it's a good idea to compare a clincher wheel to a tubular. If it's the difference in "feel", then I'd say you'll get very biased/random answers.

Not trying to be rude, just not sure what kind of answer you're looking for.
Just looking for any pros/cons either way from someone who has maybe owned both. Thinking about switching up to try something different and save some weight and want to know if I’d have any regrets.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

mbdurham17 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:13 pm
Opinion: Thinking about swapping from my 2016 zipp 404 to roval clx 50s (maybe tubulars) to save about 300g .....does anyone have experience with both and can comment one way or the other? This would get me down to around 14 lbs on my Tarmac SL6 UL. My zipp 404 are the only wheels I have used since I switched to road from mountain bikes about a year ago

I have 32's, 50's & 64's and lost a pound when using them on their respective bikes. The LBS I frequent has both brands and talked me out of considering 454's months after I purchased the 50's as they thought they were the better deal/performance.
Last edited by tabl10s on Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My Zipp 202 NSW Disc are just as stiff as my ENVE SES 5.6 Disc. They are currently my favorite wheels, but also the newest set so there might be bias. The only thing I don't like about these wheels is the sound of the freehub ratchet. It is fairly quiet when coasting under weight, but the sound is very rough.

Brake rub is caused by stiffer rims, not flexier rims. Your wheels are a lever with a fulcrum in the middle. Under immense sideloads such as cornering, the stiffer wheel will deflect more at the opposite end. This is better than the alternative.

Beaver

by Beaver

If you stick with clinchers, the Roval with 20.7mm inner width vs. the 17.25mm on the Zipp will offer you a much better ride quality with 25mm tires and low pressure.

They lack the brake quality of the Zipp in the wet though. Hubs and spokes are DT Swiss, so there should be no trouble.

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Thank you for all of the replies and input. Sounds like the only downside would be decreased wet breaking performance. Not sure if I’m ready to venture into the tubular realm so I’d probably do clinchers but may try running them tubeless. Thinking about trying tubeless on the 404’s as well but that’s a whole other discussion

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com