New wheels day. Lightweight Gipfelsturms

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sungod

by sungod

it's really very easy

remove the cassette

pull off the end cap (pliers, wrap a bit of tough fabric or rubber on the jaws to avoid scratching)

now you can pull off the freehub by hand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

https://youtu.be/sC-5-dOvfYA

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Appreciate the advice and video, does look quite easy, still reckon I'd muck it up though. Lol.
One thing I have noticed is when I change from the Obermayers to the Gipfelsturms I have to adjust the brake pad holders as they don't align in the same position. I have to lower them as they are to high just touching the tyre.
Thought this was strange, even though they are a different profile shouldn't the brake tracks still be in the same position.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Brake track height will vary wheel to wheel on most wheel, it's One thing that makes me lazy and not ride my training wheels. I bought a set of assaults for the allez to match the strikes just so I didn't have to adjust brakes...

Using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

Gipfelsturm brake track is really high, it's rather annoying since most of my other carbon wheels are situated close enough that I don't have to touch the pad vertical adjustment, just width.

KCookie

by KCookie

Yeah tell me about it, most frustrating. Good excuse to get another bike though, one with the Obies, one with Gips, don't think the wife will like that idea. 😀

KCookie

by KCookie

Went out today with the rear Gipfelsturm on, and it's completely silent, couldn't believe how quite it was. I'm assuming the Obie was like this to when I first bought them. This now makes me really want to take apart the hub.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Watch the video and give it a crack

At worst you get your mechanic to put it back together.

Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Seems pretty easy really, will definitely give it a go when I can find a spare 10 mins. Curious to hear the difference when done.

KCookie

by KCookie

First problem is trying to find the grease for sale in Australia. Can't find a single company here, all are in USA charging up to $60 delivery and a 3-4 week delivery time. Surely there must be a Aus shop or an alternative grease.

RyanH

by RyanH

Try finding Phil's Tenacious Oil. It's what I use for my pawls.

KCookie

by KCookie

Cheers Ryan.
Luckily there's a shop in Adelaide city that sells it, So should be a quick delivery.
I see there's 3 different ones. Waterproof grease, lube and tenacious oil.
So it definitely the oil that I need.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Any light grease works as well, I'm using finish line gold and mine are quiet.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@KCookie: So now that you've listened to it, you don't like it and want to quiet things down? That's ok, but I wouldn't use any kind of "oil". There's no "pawls" in there, just two big serrated plates that mesh with each other. Some grease would be the way to go i would think. I can't imagine any oil softening the noise for any length of time at all. DTS has their special "red" grease but I don't know what's so special about it. Either way, not sure how long the "quieter" sound would hold up given how the system works and you may find yourself having to do that more often than you would like. I have about 6 pairs of Lightweights floating around here right now so perhaps I'll pull one apart, grease it up, and see just how much of a difference it makes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

KCookie wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:26 pm
Appreciate the advice and video, does look quite easy, still reckon I'd muck it up though. Lol.
One thing I have noticed is when I change from the Obermayers to the Gipfelsturms I have to adjust the brake pad holders as they don't align in the same position. I have to lower them as they are to high just touching the tyre.
Thought this was strange, even though they are a different profile shouldn't the brake tracks still be in the same position.
I would think that between the varoius models of Lightweight wheels they would at least have brake tracks consistent with each other in terms of height and brake pad placement. I noticed a big difference when I moved them between bikes with Boras, whereas any bora could be interchanged, the Lightweight required a complete ressetting of the pads. The difference was substantial, moreso than I would have thought given there are standard industry specs for those types of things Maybe their newer wheels are conforming a bit better to those specs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ