New wheels day. Lightweight Gipfelsturms

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KCookie

by KCookie

So ive got myself another set of lightweights. This time Gipfelsturm Schwarz edt. Very surprised by their weight. Around 60g less than I thought coming in at 997g. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

:thumbup:
The perfect wheelset IMHO.
It looks like the ceramic bearings drop the weight significantly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

That's 60g less than mine. Score.

Does anyone know what causes the wheel to come out of true and does that increase over time? My front is almost perfectly true but the rear has some runout. Is there any concern about riding really rough pavement with these and eventually affecting trueness?

KCookie

by KCookie

kgt wrote:Image
The perfect wheelset IMHO.
It looks like the ceramic bearings drop the weight significantly.
Thanks kgt, yeah that what I thought. I might have just got lucky for once and got the lightest pair. Lol.
Wanted these so when I ride combo the Gipfelsturm schwarz will now match the Obermayer Schwarz. The Ventoux are now on the wifes bike. Meilensteins are now up for sale.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PinaRene

by PinaRene

RyanH wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:48 pm
That's 60g less than mine. Score.

Does anyone know what causes the wheel to come out of true and does that increase over time? My front is almost perfectly true but the rear has some runout. Is there any concern about riding really rough pavement with these and eventually affecting trueness?
Don't know if it would increase, but if I bought a wheelset at that price they should be perfect .... period.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

RyanH wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:48 pm
In my experience, the Lightweights are pretty much what you see is what you get. If they are perfectly true to begin with, they tend to stay that way. Likewise, if there is a bit of runout in lateral trueness (and there often is), it will stay that way as well. In general, a normally spoked wheel is much easier to get "perfectly" true, with lateral runout almost non existent if well built, and can also be retrued if for some unfortunate mishap it gets knocked out of true. And while you won't notice some pretty significant lateral runout while rolling along, it will be impossible to achieve really nice modulation with a rim that is not laterally true. What provides super nice modulation is a combination of 1) operational lever smoothness, 2) friction free cable runs, 3) operational caliper smoothness and 4) rim trueness. Even if you have the best of all the first three and are able to "feather" the brakes ever so lightly.... if the rim is not true then neither will be the modulation, as every time the high spot in the rim comes around and touches the barely feathered rim brake pads, it will create a grabbing sensation, giving that pulsing effect. The more out of true it is, the greater that effect will be.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

martinkartin

by martinkartin

Beautiful! Looks perfect on that rocket of a bike!
Factor O2 Disc

KCookie

by KCookie

martinkartin wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:34 pm
Beautiful! Looks perfect on that rocket of a bike!
Cheers, actually looks better with the Obermayers, but it's always so winding here lately that the Gipfelsturms are a lot easier to ride with.

sungod

by sungod

vey nice, how does it look with low front/deep rear?

i just glued fresh tubs on my obies ready for a cycling trip, when it's really windy there're routes i avoid, so the gipfelsturms are always a temptation, have you had a chance to ride them much yet? it would be interesting to have a realworld comparision of feel/handling between the two

KCookie

by KCookie

The first ride was with both Gipfelsturms, then I changed the rear to the Obie, for some reason I just prefer it, looks and ride feel. Even though it's fairly windy here the Obie just feels planted. Never had an issue with side wind. Winds tomorrow are 40+ kmh so I will see how I fair.
Will also take some pics with the combo and post them for you to see. Does look awesome. 😀

kgt

by kgt

Meilenstein/Obermayer being extremely affected by crosswinds is just an urban legend. According to http://litespeed.com/blog/2017/10/sharp ... -litespeed:
"German cycling magazine TOUR (10/2017) tested crosswind stability of clincher aero wheels (disc versions). For the MEILENSTEIN the magazine measured only 4 Nm force through crosswinds on the wheel simulated in a wind tunnel. Enve SES 4.5 had 6 Nm and Zipp 303 even 7 Nm. Only Reynolds Aero 46 and EDCO AeroSport Umbrial 45 scored better in this category."

PinaRene

by PinaRene

kgt wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 pm
For the MEILENSTEIN the magazine measured only 4 Nm force through crosswinds on the wheel simulated in a wind tunnel. Enve SES 4.5 had 6 Nm and Zipp 303 even 7 Nm. Only Reynolds Aero 46 and EDCO AeroSport Umbrial 45 scored better in this category."
According to the lightweight test on the Litespeed site :

http://litespeed.com/blog/2017/10/sharp ... -litespeed

These should be Clincher Meilensteins - but as far as I know these Meilensteins are Tubular wheels - or Continental must have released new Continental Competition Clincher tires :wink:

sungod

by sungod

kgt wrote:
Meilenstein/Obermayer being extremely affected by crosswinds is just an urban legend. According to http://litespeed.com/blog/2017/10/sharp ... -litespeed:
"German cycling magazine TOUR (10/2017) tested crosswind stability of clincher aero wheels (disc versions). For the MEILENSTEIN the magazine measured only 4 Nm force through crosswinds on the wheel simulated in a wind tunnel. Enve SES 4.5 had 6 Nm and Zipp 303 even 7 Nm. Only Reynolds Aero 46 and EDCO AeroSport Umbrial 45 scored better in this category."
i think they just prove how meaningless wind tunnel data are :D

instead of playing with wind tunnel data they should try on a windy day somewhere like the road down the north side of the volcano from casita de femes in lanzarote, when the wind picks up the outside corners are really nasty, the problem is that obermayers 'catch' as the yaw angle changes, that creates sudden force twisting the bars, and it is many times higher than 4Nm

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don’t know what 4Nm in a wind tunnel means but I do know in the real world on a windy descent, the higher profile Lightweights are the last wheel I want to be on. What @Sungod says rings true to me. It’s that sudden “grab” of wind or whatever you want to call it that just tends to want to twist things around. It’s not “urban legend”.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

sungod wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:32 pm
kgt wrote:
i think they just prove how meaningless wind tunnel data are :D

instead of playing with wind tunnel data they should try on a windy day somewhere like the road down the north side of the volcano from casita de femes in lanzarote, when the wind picks up the outside corners are really nasty, the problem is that obermayers 'catch' as the yaw angle changes, that creates sudden force twisting the bars, and it is many times higher than 4Nm
If you want to debunk all wind tunnel data I am with you : )
Anyway, this is what a test done by the most respectful cycling magazine - at least among our forum members - says: LWs are doing fine with sidewinds while some famous U profile wheelsets are worse. If one accepts as valid other, much more complicated, tests done by Tour magazine why not accept this one?
Last edited by kgt on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.