New wheels day. Lightweight Gipfelsturms

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

I have my Ventoux III (same as Gipfelsturm) for 5 years already, no "pulse" at all with LW pads or Corima pads. And I had bought them used. No one I know who also rides LWs had this "pulsing" effect as far as I know. I even googled it, I could not find any links about LW's "pulse".
The truth is that according to every test-review there is LWs are still among the best in terms of weight, among the best in terms of stiffness, among the best in terms of inertia and by far the best in terms of stiffness to weight. Even in terms of aero they are not bad, somewhere in the middle. They are very expensive, yes, but you can get them half the price as used if you search (I did).
So, I can accept that people like Calnago do not like them but, no, LWs are not just for the "bling".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I had lightweight standard gen 3 pulsing at the rear then sold it. I also had gipfelsturm and no pulsing, but sold it too. At the moment have meilenstein without pulsing. Honestly, i prefer my boras over the lightweights.

kgt

by kgt

Rare exceptions that prove the rule. Btw the 1st thread is a 6 year old one and the 2nd a 11 year old one...

sungod

by sungod

^^^
i think you are being generous :)

in the second of those threads the claimed issue seems only to have started after 110 miles, and when queried on this the poster never came back with any explanation, hardly inspires credibility

simply because someone on the internet says 'x' is not proof of 'x', whether the subject is wheels, politics, economics, food or anything else

unless there's verifiable data on what proportion, if any, pulse when used in accordance with lw's instructions there's no basis for saying they pulse more than any other wheels (subject to the same criteria)

my obies don't pulse, nor did the set i had previously

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I think the newer versions like meilenstein and gipfelsturm didn”t have pulsing only some of the older standard gen 3 which I experienced on mine.

ak47

by ak47

kgt wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:27 am
I have my Ventoux III (same as Gipfelsturm) for 5 years already, no "pulse" at all with LW pads or Corima pads. And I had bought them used. No one I know who also rides LWs had this "pulsing" effect as far as I know. I even googled it, I could not find any links about LW's "pulse".
The truth is that according to every test-review there is LWs are still among the best in terms of weight, among the best in terms of stiffness, among the best in terms of inertia and by far the best in terms of stiffness to weight. Even in terms of aero they are not bad, somewhere in the middle. They are very expensive, yes, but you can get them half the price as used if you search (I did).
So, I can accept that people like Calnago do not like them but, no, LWs are not just for the "bling".
I think most of you posts where you defend the equipment you either have or like completely lack objectivity.

kgt

by kgt

If you don't believe me - I could not care less btw - just read the tests and find the data posted online over the years. There are dozens of pages evaluating LWs quality and performance, from respected magazines like Tour to independent blogs and sites.

ak47

by ak47

kgt wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:14 am
If you don't believe me - I could not care less btw - just read the tests and find the data posted online over the years. There are dozens of pages evaluating LWs quality and performance, from respected magazines like Tour to independent blogs and sites.
I have owned those shi**y wheels and know for myself. I can also read objective opinions from people here which tell the same characteristics of these wheels that I know for myself. There's only one opinion which differs and that's yours. That's why all you are trying to tell about those wheels I treat as BS. There's no need for me to read any paid by manufacturer, "independent" magazine test. I have worked as a tech editor for cycling website and I know how these tests work.

kgt

by kgt

Really? What makes your opinion better or more independent than mine then? I also know for myself that LWs are amazing. KCookie - who started this thread btw - also knows for himself; sungod too.
So, stop behaving like a 14 year old. You just have an opinion as I do and everyone else in here does.

KCookie

by KCookie

Well after another ride on my Gipfelsturms- Obermayer combo there's definitely no pulsing under braking, but I am aware now of the tractor sound as calnago puts it, 😀 from the freehub, but to be honest that is very rare as going down hills at 80-90kmh all I can hear is the wind, and the routes I ride im on the peddles, but yes with $7000 wheels that noise shouldn't be there.

RyanH

by RyanH

It's a dt ratchet which I find very quiet. If you want to make them quiet, just pull apart the hub, clean the ratchets and put a dab of Phil's tenacious oil and it'll barely be audible.

sungod

by sungod

^^^this

it only takes a small amount of grease to make a dramatic difference in ratchet noise, i use the dts grease and just 'paint' some on with an acid brush, only takes a few minutes, it needs redoing whenever the noise level goes up again

lw seem to ship them with very light greasing, not sure why

WinterRider

by WinterRider

KCookie wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 pm
$7000 wheels
:popcorn:
Last edited by WinterRider on Sat May 05, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

KCookie

by KCookie

RyanH wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:43 am
It's a dt ratchet which I find very quiet. If you want to make them quiet, just pull apart the hub, clean the ratchets and put a dab of Phil's tenacious oil and it'll barely be audible.
What ever I touch always goes wrong, but I do have a spare hub I could practice on. To be honest the noise really doesn't bother me, but it's a very good suggestion and I'm now curious to see how much of a difference it will make.
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com