New wheels day. Lightweight Gipfelsturms

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote:Well, after hearing about @dgasmd's quiet Lightweights, I just couldn't leave it as is, so I took it apart one more time, added a bit more grease and now I think it's pretty good. If anything, there may be a tad too much still in there, but I'm thinking with a few rides it will distribute nicely and any current friction in the freehub from excessive grease will be gone. If not, then just one more time and I'll nail it. It's kind of a trial and error process. Anwyay, here's the final result, at least for now...

Oh, and @dbasmd, I just saw your "Do it! Do it! Do it!" taunt. Lol, you know I want to. I inspected it as best I could and would just like to confirm how everything is put together, it's really simple, but I'd like to confirm which parts are held in with retaining compound etc. And yes about being aware of the shims. I suspect they use them to dial in each and every front wheel preload due to the difficulty in manufacturing the carbon shell to consistently fine tolerances, similar to a carbon BB shell. I just think it's really silly that you have to send a front wheel in for such a simple service as bearing replacement. You're without a wheel for however long they have it and the shipping probably costs as much as a couple new bearings, maybe more.

Do it
Do it
Do it........

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok @dgasmd... you got the best of me. I knew I had seen one, and only one good thread on this topic before, so I tracked it down. I would be totally fine doing this job, but for now I'm just going to leave it until it's actually required, or the owner isn't looking (ha, I would never do that)... anyway, I'm just going to repost the relevant entry out of a thread from years ago, but pretty sure it's still relevant to today's Lightweight front wheels... this is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for in order to be totally comfortable doing this job myself. The first little part is just in response to the rather easy job of the rear wheel, it's when he starts talking about the front wheel that's relevant here... A couple of added points I would consider: @legs11 mentions "loctite" but that can mean a whole lotta things. For this application I would use Loctite 609 (retaining compound) and primer (loctite 7649), and definitely use a proper press/drifts to put the bearings back in and hold them in place for 24 hours while the retaining compound cures (he suggests just clamping it in the dropouts for this). Other than that... the post below seems really complete and a must read if you want to try this job at home. Thank you @legs11...
legs 11 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:12 am
Hi Sybarite, not sure which model hubs you have on there, if it's the DT 240 or 190 it's easy and you just need to use the same method as standard DT hubs.
You do need to be a bit careful when fitting the bearings, I use a cup that fits the bearing and tap them in on the outer race, it's safer than fitting them on a hydraulic press with less risk of damaging the carbon hub body. :wink:
Front is supposedly a Carbonsport only service, it has cartridge bearings, but you can do it if you're confident about that sort of stuff. It's an alloy axle that is shimmed for the end float.
Remove the axle caps (they are just held on with an interferance fit, pressed on) I use a pair of smooth grips on either cap and just turn them to remove. They are often fitted with a spot of Loctite as well so once you start them moving they come off quite easily.
You may need to clean the edges of the caps up where you've gripped them to get them off, either polish them with some Alu polish or clean them up and paint them if you want to keep the gold colour.
You'll need to make a bed to lay the wheel on so you can remove the axle and bearings (a nice block of wood or nylon with a hole drilled in it works fine) put your axle over the hole and check the hub is flat against the block and tap out the axle/bearing using a peice of aluminium or a block of wood so as not to damage the axle end.
You'll have the axle with one bearing fixed to it and the other bearing in the hub now.
This part you need to be very careful with, as you need to tap ot the other bearing.
BE CAREFUL not to damage the hub as there is a small very thin lip that the bearing sits on!!
Just drift the bearing out in the centre rather than near the edge. :thumbup:
Keep a note of all the shim spacers that are under each bearing so you can refit them in the correct places when you reasemble the hub.
Clean everything, I run a peice of fine emery over all the parts so you know everything will fit together correctly.
Before assembling the hub I fit everything together again dry so you know you don't have to force anything, all the parts should just slot together with minimal friction, just snug enough to not have any play.
Fit the first bearing on the block with the hub well supported, I tap them in with a cup and small mallet.
Fit the end float shims in the correct order and fit the axle ( a tiny spot of loctite on th axle is a good idea, but we're talking about a tiny spot rather than a big glob of it that could contaminate the bearing!
Turn the wheel over and sit it on the block with a hole in it, and drop the shims on the axle, fit the new bearing and gently tap in the bearing.
Refit the end caps with a drop of Loctite, and leave the wheel in a fork with the Quick release tightened to let the Loctite dry.
Job done! :D
You may have a tiny bit of play? I've seen brand new wheels that come like this so don't be too alarmed! :D
All you need to do is either fit another spacer shim under the bearing....or.....tap the bearings in a little more as they may not be seated enough. :thumbup:
The secret to doing this job is working on the fit of all the parts so it'll all go together easily, that also means if you have a bit of play on the endfloat you can pull it apart again without damaging the bearings.
Be warned, it's not a fantastic or complicated design, and can be severely corroded internally. :wink:
I wouldn't bother with ceramic speeds as you'll have to buy the front bearings from a bearing supplier anyway, so you may as well get a whole set from them both front and rear.
Try these guys....http://www.vxb.com/ballbearings.html?gc ... 4wodExKZ1Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have all the bearing codes in the workshop if you want them? :thumbup:

Hope this helps you out anyway, and let me know if you have any problems, I may be able to help?
Cheers, Rob.
p.s. @dgasmd: I read what you wrote about using a tiny flat screwdriver on the rear freehub for some "prying" action. Hmmm... perhaps you should leave the front hubs alone. Or send them to me. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote:Ok @dgasmd... you got the best of me. I knew I had seen one, and only one good thread on this topic before, so I tracked it down.

p.s. @dgasmd: I read what you wrote about using a tiny flat screwdriver on the rear freehub for some "prying" action. Hmmm... perhaps you should leave the front hubs alone. Or send them to me. :)
Going to read it a few times, but since you graciously offered I may take you up on thatImageImageImageImage

I used the “glasses” type of flat screwdrivers simply because I had used grease a few min before and it seemed like nothing I did was get that feeling of slippery off the. Pretty benign really. Not like I was brutalizing or even moseying the surfacesImageImageImage

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha, I have an axle vise which just grips the round end of the end cap without damaging then you just pull the wheel away from it. Of course, that’s the theory but sometimes it’s corroded or just really tight and takes a good pull which sends your wheel and all the internal hub parts flying all over the place, but at least that end cap is snugly still in the axle vise.
But tell me, unless you can feel the bearings are shot in the front, why would you want to pull it apart. It’s not like what we did to the rear, which didn’t even touch the actual hub bearings, but just cleaned up the freehub etc and made things more pleasant to the ear. You need the ring nut tool to get at the bearings in the rear. With the front, you either feel the bearings are shot or you don’t. Do you feel like yours are in need of replacing?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote: But tell me, unless you can feel the bearings are shot in the front, why would you want to pull it apart. It’s not like what we did to the rear, which didn’t even touch the actual hub bearings, but just cleaned up the freehub etc and made things more pleasant to the ear. You need the ring nut tool to get at the bearings in the rear. With the front, you either feel the bearings are shot or you don’t. Do you feel like yours are in need of replacing?
You and your fancy toolsImageImageImage some of us are simply proud to know how to pump a tire! Well, I have a compressor now since some of you made me feel inadequate a while backImage

My bearings are good I think. I feel nothing but smooth/buttery motion. I did the free hub simply because it seemed simple enough. Glad I did it though.

I’m not shy to tackle new builds or maintenance routines. It gives me an excuse to get some new tool that I can get to use or it teaches me something new to do. This bearings I’ll leave for someone that knows what they are doing in the future when/if I need them serviced!