Multiple wheels for your bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Do people generally run more than one wheelset per bike?
I know some of you have 'winter' bikes...... how about wheels?

Example
Alloy rim Zonda or shamal with Conti all season tires for wet days/lots of downhills
Bora one with dry fast tires for.... Nice days
Last edited by Boshk on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

same bike year round, but i have some ambrosio nemesis rims with gatorskin tubs for wet weather (which has been most of the last four months in the uk), just got fed up trashing decent tyres on wet roads littered with glass, also the brake track wear on cf wheels gets worse in the wet/dirty conditions

once it dries out, or when i travel somewhere with better weather, i'll switch back to the obermayers

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I run 4 sets..
Enve 2.2(tubs) 2.2/4.5/7.8 (clinchers)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

PinaRene

by PinaRene

3 bikes - 5 sets - 3 tubular sets , 2 clincher sets.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Many bikes. Many wheels. When you live in a wet climate it’s not really good enough to just have “wet weather” wheels however. It’s miserable riding in the rain at the best of times and a dedicated “rain bike” with full fenders makes it a little more bearable. And in groups, it’s pretty much mandatory to have full rear mudflaps that prevent spray into the rider behind you.
Favorite foul weather tire for the road bikes: Continental Competition Tubular 25mm.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

Boshk wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:56 am
Do people generally run more than one wheelset per bike?
I know some of you have 'winter' bikes...... how about wheels?

Example
Alloy rim Zonda or shamal with Conti all season tires for wet days/lots of downhills
Bora one with dry fast tires for.... Nice days
Two bikes, one which i use for Winter and rain weather, other for Dry Weather.

Three pair of wheels:

1. Shamal Ultra with 4 Season tires for wet weather, or with Conti 4000S for July/August hot weather climbing (7-15% grades)

2. Bora One 35 Tubular with Corsa G+ for dry weather except in very hot summer climbing

3. Cheap wheelset which i use for trainer duty

Thinking to get another Bora 50 tub and to put Continental Sprinter tires (since i read that they are lasting big mileage) for long riding for better puncture protection (even in 2000 km on this pair of Corsa g+ no punctures yet, knock in wood), and for riding where there is not so many steep climbs, and more rolling hills. Or just for recovery rides to save Corsa tires on that rides..

AJS914

by AJS914

It really depends on where you live. When I lived in sunny California, I generally rode one wheelset. When I raced in CA I had two wheelsets (one tubular, one clincher). Lately I've been in Spokane Washington which has full seasons and lots of snow in the winter. Late fall, winter and spring I've been riding my gravel bike with 40mm tires. The snow has melted but there is still lots sand on the road left over from the snow season but soon I'll switch back to my road bike.

It would acturally be interesting to have a 2nd set of wheels for my gravel bike. Sometimes the 40mm tires are a bit too much if the ride is mostly on the road.

Multebear

by Multebear

Calnago wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:42 pm
Many bikes. Many wheels. When you live in a wet climate it’s not really good enough to just have “wet weather” wheels however. It’s miserable riding in the rain at the best of times and a dedicated “rain bike” with full fenders makes it a little more bearable. And in groups, it’s pretty much mandatory to have full rear mudflaps that prevent spray into the rider behind you.
Favorite foul weather tire for the road bikes: Continental Competition Tubular 25mm.
This.

Running heavy durable wheels with Durano Plus tires for deep winter. Lighter wheels for spring, summerrain, and fall with Conti 4seasons, and carbon wheels for sunny days and races with Conti GP4k

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

19 bikes and more than 19 pairs of wheels.

Really I have winter/wet bikes and dry bikes.

There is even an ice bike.

TonyM

by TonyM

I love wheels more than bikes....

However I have finally managed to have on average only 3 to 4 different wheelsets per bike.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

My recipe:
1 bike, disc brake
1 set of wheels, WheelWorks Maker, 35mm front 50mm rear...all year round. Local roads are pretty rough. We're still rebuilding after a series of earthquakes and it's a real joy when new Tarmac is laid down on a section of road.
Wheelworks are great wheels IMO over 15k kms & they still run true
1 set of tyres, currently Conti GP4000's previous Michelin Pro 4 S/C

Weather...some frost snow in the winter...potential for wind rain and sun rest of the year.

I am toying with the idea of getting some lighter tubs from Cadence in Aus
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

dgasmd

by dgasmd

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm

You win. No question :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

4 bikes and >4 wheel sets and all tubulars.

Lightweight Standard
Lightweight Low profile (can't spell german name)
Campy hyperon
Custom handmade 58 mm profile laced to a PT powermeter
Reynolds 45 mm profile
2x sets of alloy wheelsets for the steel vintage 6 sp bike
:beerchug:

c60rider

by c60rider

I always have 1 wheelset for each bike and really don't like putting a wheelset from one bike into another. I've got 4 bikes in total, shamal ultras in 2 of them but I really wouldn't want to get those wheelsets mixed up :shock: :lol:
After I got my C60 built up a year ago with Bora ultra 50mm I put the Shamals in just to see what it would like and I couldn't wait to get them out and put the correct wheels in the correct bike! I must be a bit weird like that :noidea: :unbelievable:

yinya

by yinya

Like to have as little stuff as possible, and not a fan of adjusting/changing pads when changing wheels, but here everything a bit more special takes 3 months to source, so two wheelsets - one as backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm

:mrgreen: wow!

you guys are awesome! haha

I would have thought tubular would be a 'nice' weather wheel, guessing 'higher puncture resistances' outweighs the 'pita' puncture repair on the side of the road in pouring rain??