Bora Decal Wear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

Just got my Bora 35 last week and had around 200 miles on it. When I checked yesterday, I found this wear on one side of my rear wheel.

I suspect it could be some debris/rock got stuck on the brake pad or something.

Is this normal wear or should I be worried.... It is a little alarming since I only have this for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If it was a rock wedged into a brake pad, you'd have more than peeling decals to worry about. Sure looks like the brake pad was passing over the decal though... Make sure your pads are positioned correctly and ride your bike.

It's a small detail, my Zipp 202 NSWs have laser etched logos, so peeling can't happen. I'm slightly thankful for that because my ENVE wheel decals definitely have nicks and corners missing from everyday riding. Now if only Zipp had a 5-year or lifetime warranty, I'm otherwise very happy with the qualities of their wheels...even the Cognition hub.

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

Thanks, I actually got the pads installed and tuned by the LBS, toe-in and everything looked normal to me.

It is actually my first pair of carbon wheelset, if the wear was caused by the brake pads, then it must be a lot of flex when riding I assume. I guess I need to check the spoke tension or something. You mentioned your ENVEs have some degrees of wear too, do those look similar to this?

Im not particularly light or heavy and weigh 162lbs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That’s not “wear”. And it looks to be well below where the pads should even be touching. Are you sure they didn’t get scuffed against a curb or something. What size tires are you using? Are they so narrow that the inflated width isn’t even as wide as the brake track? It will be years before you even notice any “wear” in those brake tracks.
The wheel looks fine except for that blemish. How it happened I have no idea however. But if you suspect it could have been impact related somehow (maybe during transport or something) then have a real close look at it for cracks etc.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Svetty

by Svetty

I agree looks like a scuff from a rock or kerb-stone. I doubt very much that the pads were responsible.....

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

Calnago wrote:That’s not “wear”. And it looks to be well below where the pads should even be touching. Are you sure they didn’t get scuffed against a curb or something. What size tires are you using? Are they so narrow that the inflated width isn’t even as wide as the brake track? It will be years before you even notice any “wear” in those brake tracks.
The wheel looks fine except for that blemish. How it happened I have no idea however. But if you suspect it could have been impact related somehow (maybe during transport or something) then have a real close look at it for cracks etc.
Thanks. I dont remember getting scuffed against curbs.
Now I think about it. I remember some unusual squeaky sound when I pedal, it only happened occasionally at higher speed, not loud just barely noticeable.
I suspected my LBS did not tune my brake calipers or pads properly, but they look fine to me. I have attached pictures of the brakes pads below, the scuff/wear is on the left/bottom side of the pictures.
Last edited by fluffandstuff on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I can’t tell anything from those pics. Unless you’re pointing to a scuff on the “outside” of the brake shoe? That might indicate that something happened in the shop during assembly. Obviously they had to change the standard pads in the Ultegra brake calipers to the Campy Red pads. I wonder if something may have “happened” that they hoped you wouldn’t notice. I don’t know but if that’s the case then poor form for not owning up to it. Do the pads look like they are aligned with the “lasered” (dull) portion of the brake track? If you turn the wheel is there any way you can see that the brake pad could have swiped over that decal. If so, then that’s a terribly adjusted brake pad. Or might the wheel have been in the dropouts a bit cockeyed? It’s really hard to say but it sounds like you picked it up form the shop, rode it for a couple hundred miles, and just now noticed it on close inspection. Unless you went over it with a fine tooth comb when you picked it up and are sure that blemish wasn’t there when you left the shop, I think I’d take it back to the shop and let them have a look at it and see what they say. It’s not affecting the braking or anything, but it would be good to find out what caused it if possible. At the very least make sure the brakes are perfectly aligned to the brake track.

Also, check the inside of your chainstays to see if there's a chance it might have rubbed against one of them, either being cockeyed in the dropouts or a bit of flex or a loose skwer that allowed some movement. What kind of clearance do you have between the chainstays and the rim. All things I'd be checking to determing the cause. If you can't find a cause, then just chalk it up to the unknown, continue on and hope it doesn't happen it again. If it does, then you know something's amiss for sure you need to figure it out. But at this point, might be just one of those mishaps that has occurred but you don't remember why, how or when.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

Calnago wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:05 pm
I can’t tell anything from those pics. Unless you’re pointing to a scuff on the “outside” of the brake shoe? That might indicate that something happened in the shop during assembly. Obviously they had to change the standard pads in the Ultegra brake calipers to the Campy Red pads. I wonder if something may have “happened” that they hoped you wouldn’t notice. I don’t know but if that’s the case then poor form for not owning up to it. Do the pads look like they are aligned with the “lasered” (dull) portion of the brake track? If you turn the wheel is there any way you can see that the brake pad could have swiped over that decal. If so, then that’s a terribly adjusted brake pad. Or might the wheel have been in the dropouts a bit cockeyed? It’s really hard to say but it sounds like you picked it up form the shop, rode it for a couple hundred miles, and just now noticed it on close inspection. Unless you went over it with a fine tooth comb when you picked it up and are sure that blemish wasn’t there when you left the shop, I think I’d take it back to the shop and let them have a look at it and see what they say. It’s not affecting the braking or anything, but it would be good to find out what caused it if possible. At the very least make sure the brakes are perfectly aligned to the brake track.

Also, check the inside of your chainstays to see if there's a chance it might have rubbed against one of them, either being cockeyed in the dropouts or a bit of flex or a loose skwer that allowed some movement. What kind of clearance do you have between the chainstays and the rim. All things I'd be checking to determing the cause. If you can't find a cause, then just chalk it up to the unknown, continue on and hope it doesn't happen it again. If it does, then you know something's amiss for sure you need to figure it out. But at this point, might be just one of those mishaps that has occurred but you don't remember why, how or when.
I went to a different LBS this time, the checked it thorougly (like what you described above) and couldnt find anything wrong with the pads setup. They suspected when I got those wheels from wiggle it could have already been like that. I did not check thoroughl at the time so I dont really know.
I think I ll just keep riding them. I like the wheels so far maybe that was just an unfortunate instance of something scrubing my wheels without me noticing it. Anyways thanks a lot for the comments, appreciated!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Is there a protective layer above Campy's water transferred logos? I'm guessing not since the point of the water transfer logos was to drop weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fluffandstuff

by fluffandstuff

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 am
Is there a protective layer above Campy's water transferred logos? I'm guessing not since the point of the water transfer logos was to drop weight.
I tried to search for it online but could fins any info on that. Based on the scuff, I think prob not.