Dura-Ace C40 Carbon Road Disc clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

enki42

by enki42

Any thoughts on these wheels? Seems like no reviewers have used these wheels and most comments about Dura Ace C40 wheels were about their rim brake version which seems to be using a very different rim.

Looking to find a disc clincher wheelset for under $1600 (US$) for normal use (i.e. durability outweights just being the fastest, seen two broken zip rims....) Still have fears of how to fix a flat without proper gear on the side of the road so not sure I want to go tubeless just yet. (More, don't want to be forced to go tubeless with a wheel like Hunt's)

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

I'm in a similar situation ...

I have bought a gravel bike (Whyte Suffolk) to use as my daily commuter aswell as a training bike and some Audax rides) ... 200-300Km (anything further than that, and I will use my Giant TCR)

The bike weighs 10.4 Kg which includes pedals, and mudguards

The wheels on the bike are Alex wheels (labelled as Whyte RD 7 wheels)and the weight of the wheelset (includes the Continental GP 4000 Sii 700Cx28 tyres, tubes, disc brake rotors, skewers and Shimano 105 10 speed 12-30 cassette, weighs 3,6 Kg

I'm looking for a lighter wheelset, but want a Son 28 dynamo hub and the wheels must be tubeless ready, so that I can use tubeless or clincher

I spent a long time researching rim weights etc etc and was looking to buy cheap

after consideration, I've decided to get my LBS to build a wheelset with HED Belgium Plus disc rims (32/32), Chris King R45 disc rear hub and Son 28 dynamo hub with a Supernova E3 Triple 2 dynamo light

my bike is heavy as it is, and I'm not going to spend top dollar to loose a few grams .... and I've added a Carradice Barley saddle bag with the bagman support (another kilo or so in weight) ....

so I want quality wheels even though they will weigh a few grams more than lightweight, and I will start off with IRC tubeless tyres (28 wide) ... i wanted cheaper but have realized that it's better to save up a bit more before buying

when I upgrade to a lighter carbon framed gravel bike, my dynamo setup /wheels will be transferred to the new bike (buy once, but buy quality)

I have a HED setup for my Giant TCR (clincher not disc) (HED Belgium plus rims) with Chris King R45 (ceramic hubs), and Sapim CX Ray spokes .... these are quality and the rims are solid

and, BTW, why do you say that if you buy Hunt wheels, you are forced to go tubeless? Hunt wheels take tubeless or clincher
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

enki42

by enki42

Trying to keep this on the topic of Duraace C40 disc wheels.... If anyone has experience with them.

From Hunt's web site: http://www.huntbikewheels.com/user_guide
H-Lock Wedge rims – (used on some models of 55Carbon Wide Aero, 30 & 50 Carbon AeroDisc
and 30 Carbon Gravel Disc rims) should only be used with specifically designated as
TUBELESS or TUBELESS READY and constructed with CARBON BEADS. These tyres have
predictable bead diameters and a strong bead construction. You can use inner tubes with
these Hunt HLW rims as long as they are used in tubeless tyres. Tyres constructed with Aramid/
Kevlar beads including, Hutchinson Fusion 5 tyres and Mavic tyres are not suitable for use with
HLW rims. If in doubt please contact your tyre manufacturer.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Also interested in hearing from whoever might have experience with these wheels?

They seem to be out of favor, perhaps because of their more limited width and not super light weight, but considering Dura-Ace's reputation for making bombproof wheels and the price at which these can be had (less than half the price of even the Rovals), I would have thought that they'd still be somewhat popular...?

TonyM

by TonyM

Nowadays people are looking for 50mm or if low profile then very light or cheap. The C40 (37mm) are neither very light nor cheap.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

TonyM wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 pm
Nowadays people are looking for 50mm or if low profile then very light or cheap. The C40 (37mm) are neither very light nor cheap.
Considering they can be had for $1400 if you shop carefully, I'm not sure I agree with the not cheap part. What wheels of comparable quality can one get at that price?

guyc

by guyc

It's an aluminium rim with a carbon fairing. It's not 40mm either, it's 35mm and the design wasn't updated to a wider rim when they did the 40mm tubular. Frankly the C35 ---> C40 'update' was a massive piss-take. Nice hubs though.

It's a decent wheelset, but looks dated and pricey against today's full carbon offerings.

Over here you can get a set of Cosmic Carbon Pro SLs for similar money, or some Hunts, or some Fulcrum Quattros.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

guyc wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm
It's an aluminium rim with a carbon fairing. It's not 40mm either, it's 35mm and the design wasn't updated to a wider rim when they did the 40mm tubular. Frankly the C35 ---> C40 'update' was a massive piss-take. Nice hubs though.

It's a decent wheelset, but looks dated and pricey against today's full carbon offerings.

Over here you can get a set of Cosmic Carbon Pro SLs for similar money, or some Hunts, or some Fulcrum Quattros.
To the best of my knowledge and reading ability, the disc wheel is NOT an aluminum wheel. It is a full carbon clincher. Arguably not wide at 24 mm external and 17 mm internal, though.

guyc

by guyc

Bordcla wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:24 pm
guyc wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm

To the best of my knowledge and reading ability, the disc wheel is NOT an aluminum wheel. It is a full carbon clincher. Arguably not wide at 24 mm external and 17 mm internal, though.
You are totally correct. I missed the crucial disc bit :unbelievable:

In which disregard my post :lol:

TonyM

by TonyM

Bordcla wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 pm
Considering they can be had for $1400 if you shop carefully, I'm not sure I agree with the not cheap part. What wheels of comparable quality can one get at that price?
DT Swiss wheels for example....huge range of products. And one of the best quality worldwide.

Ok for you in Canada the Canadian pricing is just insane Image I purchased mine from some webshop Europe (bike24 etc...).

Same for the 9170 C60....I finally decided to go for the DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut DB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valy

by Valy

To ressurect this:

Just got some HED Ardennes and they are really nice with the 21mm internal. At the same time, they feel very heavy so got me looking towards other options.

I really dig the DA wheels, but I just can't have 15mm internal. To get to the point - anyone hear news of updated clincher rim brake wheelsets rolling out soon?