Brake Track Now Worn Advice Needed PLS

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
mrsmithone99

by mrsmithone99

<r>Hi Fellow riders,<br/>
<br/>
Oh wow. Ok so ive learned my lesson about Chinese clinchers. After my 8th ride on these Superteam 38mm wheels the basalt brake track has started to wear- are they rubbish now? <br/>
<br/>
Any advice would help. I cannot believe I was so silly and spent my money on these. It is only occuring on one side. I am thinking that without the braking surface they are toast.

A picture is attached.

kindest,

Anthony.
Attachments
20180331_182732.jpg

by Weenie

mrsmithone99

by mrsmithone99

Sorry for the extra post. I should also state that I can now see the carbon weave underneath the basalt brake track.

Multebear

by Multebear

There's no lesson to be learned about chinese rims in general. Lots and lots of ppl including myself have very good experience with chinese rims.

What kind of brakepads did you use? Which company did you buy from? What kind of riding did you do? Really odd, that it's only one side with that issue.

If you are without any fault, then I would contact the vendor and ask for a replacement. I know that both Farsports and Lightbicycle would offer replacement without forther questions.

mrsmithone99

by mrsmithone99

Thanks.
Ill provide more information for you.

Brake Pads
I used the pads supplied

Wheels
Superteam Wheels 38mm Carbon Clinchers

Riding
Mostly flat. I had my first race today with 400m climbing / descending

Seller
"Mary's Store" from Aliexpress. The store has now disappeared, however, when I sent a message through the purchasing portal the seller has asked for me to email them the exact details.

I suppose my question is, are they no good now?
Last edited by mrsmithone99 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Multebear

by Multebear

Well maybe be a little patient and give the vendor a chance to solve the issue. It might just be a defective product, that the seller will replace. My experience with aliexpress is, that the vendors are reasonably diligent solving problems.

Let us know, how it turns out.

Multebear

by Multebear

You'll still be able to ride them, but with the braketrack gone, their lifespan has decreased a lot. but for now, I'd say that you paid for something, that came broken, and they need to replace it.

You might pay for a wheelrebuild yourself. But I guess that's the least of it.

Calnago

by Calnago

I can’t help you, but there definitely is a lesson to be learned here, without generalizing about other manufacturers. “Mary’s Store”?? Aliexpress hosted. Store no longer findable. Hmmm. Like you say, you’ve learned the lesson... It’s hit and miss as to what you’re getting. If you’re going to go that route, it’s probably best to at least stick with some brands that you know people have had some success with and positive experiences with. Sorry but I’d bin those wheels and start over. Wouldn’t even be trying to track down Mary at this point. Would you really want another pair of those wheels even if they offered them to you?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Multebear

by Multebear

Before you bin them, let us know, what the seller wants to do. No reason to bin them before all other options are exhausted. And IMO it is to early to jump to conclusions about seller and rim quality as of yet. There might be a reasonable explanation or solution. Braketrack problem could have happened with any other company as well, zipp, enve, since the problem wasn't visable upon delivery. Obviosuly QC wouldn't have showed anything.

But let us se how Mary is going to handle the problem, and let's not judge Mary before it has been handled (or not handled).

sungod

by sungod

other people have posted about coating coming off with no apparent problem...
viewtopic.php?t=103936&start=1350#p1238494

being on one side, any chance the pad was rubbing? maybe due to wheel flex as you were climbing?

but is there really a problem here? i thought with this type of brake track the construction was basalt fibre in high temperature resin overlayed on the underlying cf, could be that it's simply the surface resin wearing off to reveal the 'real' brake track incorporating the basalt fibre

my mavic brake tracks with the exalith coating, wears off
my ambrosio nemesis brake tracks started with a heavy anodised layer, wearing off fast
my obermayer brakes tracks are slowly wearing, see the weave, sigh
but that's life, brake track wear is normal

AJS914

by AJS914

I agree with sungod. From the pic, it doesn't look like any problem at all othe than cosmetic. Just use pads designed for carbon and don't ride them up and down the Alps.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Where were you racing and what were the conditions?

Marin

by Marin

I'm not even sure what I am seeing. Looks pretty normal to me?

mrsmithone99

by mrsmithone99

Oh wow you guys are awesome. Yes i was racing so might be wheel flex. I hope it is just a thin layer coming off!!!

Here is a response from Mary...she seems very nice ..

"Subject: Re: Carbon Wheels

hi friend, 

sure, it is normal ,  very hot , when braking, it will hurt the brake surface,  

like your shoes . it will damage when wear them , but you still wear them , when they bad damaged, you will change, 

wheels brake surface are similar,   in very long time brake on a small area , it is very hot , so it will hurt the surface ,  not deform , you still can use it ,  

So Im thinking they are ok. I just dont want to hurt myself or others in a race.

Multebear

by Multebear

Each to their own. But I wouldn't accept that. kind of wear so quickly. There is visable wear after 8 rides, that is not normal. As mentioned I have three sets of carbon rims from Farsports/china, and two of them are for rimbrake, they both have at least 8.000 km on them. Both have done lots of descents, and both braketracks (basalt version) look like new. Both have seen rain and dirt. In other words, they have seen all kinds of abuse/use.

Don't buy their story about getting very hot, unless you've descentet from the top of Mount Everest for several hours. If it's a basalt braketrack, they are not supposed to look like that.

mrsmithone99

by mrsmithone99

This is the latest from the seller. Looks like the braking surface has worn but this person is telling me to brake on the carbon weave? This doesnt sound right...

hi frined,  wheels brake surface,  only impact the brake , and speed , not crack , it can't kill you , 

wheels are no crack any one,  just deform possible , only can impact speed ,  but the wheels is not deform ,  wheels brake , carbon brake is also can use, 

carbon surface also can use , no basalt brake surface,  warranty is same 1 year , so the carbon brake also no problem,  basalt is paste after producing,  just using to protect the brake surface to use longer , 

by Weenie