adjusting old campy proton hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi
I am trying to fix an old proton freehub c. 2006. There is lots of play in it and I want to see if I can take out the play by tightening up the bearings but cannot work out what to tweak.

On LHS I have removed the axle end with a 5mm allen key. Then there is a plastic split washer/nut followed by a split cone. The axle dropped out with freehub attached. The RH axle end accepts a 5mm allen key but what next? The freehub is wobbling around the axle and I was hoping to nip up the cone to take play out. Do I need a special tool or what? Are there loose balls in there? Campy service archive is particularly useless. Any links?

Grateful for any pointers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

use a 2.5mm allen key to undo the NDS preload adjuster and adjust. you do not take the hub apart.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

thanks, what is the preload adjuster? Is it the split plastic ring on the LHS?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I cant remember if there is a 5mm hex inside the DS of the axle or not, but hold the axle solid somehow (you can fasten the NDS cap back up) with the 5mm Allen key, and undo the 17mm nut that holds the freehub to the axle. Its LH thread.
Then the freehub will slide off the axle.
You'll probably find the outer bearing has collapsed. It's easily replaceable but offhand couldn't say a size. Inner one is a bit more difficult.
Official cafe stop tester

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Reassemble the end caps. Hold the nds end cap with a Allen key and undo the 2.5mm grub on the nds collar and turn the collar so the play is removed. If you don't understand this then perhaps look up a video or admit you don't understand hubs and visit a good shop however plenty of shop don't know what a preload collar is as well.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi, no, I think the little preload collar only adjusts the main bearings. I can't see how it affects the freehub bearings. Perhaps I explained it poorly.

I have removed the axle and now have the freehub stuck on the axle. There is a lot of play so presume there is a freehub bearing which either needs adjusted or replaced. But I can't budge the nut on the RH axle end which other contributors suggest is a LH thread.

Any idea how to get the nut off? There is a 17mm flat on the nut but I can't get purchase on the soft alloy axle.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Jekyll man, I tried screwing the LH axle end back on and then I stuck a 5mm allen key in both ends and turned clockwise. I only managed to overtighten the LH axle end, the RH nut did not budge. I think I'll just have to continue until the RH nut moves or something breaks! Any other thoughts?

Mackers

by Mackers

Stick the 5mm allen key in the right axle end and hold it, then turn the 17mm nut clock wise.
It will require a lot of force but it will eventually snap loose.

Most likely you will find the outer bearing is shot, it is easily removed and replaced.
Sometimes the inner bearing is toast as well but it is held in place with a circlip that is not easily removed.
(I drill a hole in the freehub body so I can squeeze it out of its ridge)

And sometimes the bearing is loose in the freehub and has worn away at the body.
Then you just toss the entire thing in disgust.

You need 6803 bearings b.t.w.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ah the freehub yes that was not clear to me. I have a old re415 freehub like that tland the out side bearing comes out. The inner bearing won't even with the circlip gone which was a pain to remove. So while it is possible it may also be enough of ballache to make buying a new freehub alit I easier.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Why can't I edit the post on my phone and resubmit to correct the grammar and spelling. Do bloody annoying.

Mackers

by Mackers

Must be you, works just fine on my phone.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks Jekyll man/markers
Before I rip my knuckles off can you confirm that the RH axle end and the nut with the 17mm flats are not part of the same piece. That they do move separately?
If so then I’ll try to take off RH end and hope there is something salvageable inside.

Mackers

by Mackers

Yep, if you position the tools like this you can squeeze with both hands.
If the nut has never been removed before it can be VERY tight but should snap loose eventually.
IMG_20180403_105827.jpg
(this is on an old Record hub, but it's the same on the Proton)

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks agan but nut immovable and Allen key bent under stress. Something is going to break. I think the ten year old wheelset is sending me a message so I have scrapped it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mackers

by Mackers

Wow :)

Maybe you can get your hands on an axle-body combo?
Would be a shame to scrap a decent set of wheels.