Bitex raf10/RAR9 hubs bearings run rough

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
JoO

by JoO

I just bought 2 hub sets Bitex RAF10/RAR9 for building new wheels with velocity Quill rims.

I received the hubs today. When I turn the axis by hand there is a lot of resistance.
When I hold the centre of the hub in one hand and I turn the axis with the other hand the the pawls in the freehub start to click.

I guess this is not normal. Is there some sort of adjustment that can be done on these hubs?
Are there some known issues with these hubs?
Should I send them back?
Is there something else I could try?

by Weenie

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

This may not always be the case, but the two sets of Bitex I have both felt this way new. After a few hundred miles they are smooth. Though it does crop back up at 4-5k, but with a good service they are normally ok.

JoO

by JoO

I notice there is a rubber dust cap on the freehub body. could this be a source of drag?

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Bought Selle Italia c59 today, Meilenstein Clincher's last week, Lizard Skin tape, ordered Carbon-Ti X-Carbo rings, Rotor Uno cassette, Cane Creek El Diablo calipers.
2016 Orbea Orca OMR:

15.2lbs(6.89kg).

2013 Wilier Zero.7:

13.08lbs(5.93kg).

2016 Rca:

12.02lbs(5.45kg)

2015 Pinarello F8(build in-process).

kavitator

by kavitator

Clean outer rubber dust protector - it must be clean of oil and grease. And tap the endcaps with wood or rubberr hammmer form both sides

JoO

by JoO

Finally I have built up my wheels. Still had too much friction for my liking.
After carefull examination I guessed the connection between the inner bearing and the freehub was to blame.
I had bought an extra freehub and used an extra washer that was supplied with it.
This washer is 15 mm in diameter about 1 mm thick and less than 1 mm thick.
It only touches the inner race of the bearing in the hub.

Results: the wheel now spins super smoothly.
Perhaps usefull for other wheel builders here (bitex hubs are used by Bikehubstore and others)

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Did you add the washer between freehub/hub or between freehub and dustcap?

There should be a washer pushing against inner races of inner hub bearing and inner freehub bearing. As for the dustcap you might have created a gap and risk contaminating your outer freehub bearing.

It's probably ok though. Nice work fixing the problem.

/a