wheels for hill climbing with € 900 budget

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Boshk wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am
Kaboom wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 am
mrlobber wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:51 pm
Go tubs. Even less than 900 EUR could score you close to 1000g wheelset from normal Chinese brands.
This.

Absolutely, positively LOVE my 1050g 700€ spanish-built chinese hubs, rims and spokes wheels. The rear hub is kinda crappy so I'd go with something different next time and they have few spokes so they flex a little, but to put this in perspective, I also have a set of Bora One 35 tubs that I'm considering selling just because the 1050 climbing set feels so much nicer in nearly all situations, specially descending and sharp direction changes. The braking is significantly better than the Bora's, too...

When I get tired of rebuilding the rear hub I'm probably gonna blow another 300€ and go for an extralite cyberhub. They'll be sub-1000g then...
..and I was just going to say...you could probably get a set of Bora One 35s either 2nd hand or when they go on sale.

..quite a lot of mixed reviews on the Bora's, some love them, some state...average performance but 10/10 for looks
For the sake of completeness, my Boras are the last narrow ones before they went to wider rims and lost about 100g. Mine came in at 1230g. I got these because I don't intend to mount anything wider than 23mm. Perhaps the new ones are blow-your-mind better than mine, but as I said the pure feeling of weightlessness that comes with both 1000g weights and low profiles makes the bike a joy to ride. You can even feel it when bunnyhopping potholes and manhole covers, too...

sawyer

by sawyer

You are near to Bora One 35 tubs as others have said - I have a set and they are a decent climbing wheel. Pretty stiff, fairly aero and 1195g in my case

Someone said Shamals, and that is also a good call - they really do feel stiff and are good all rounders except they are mediocre aerodynamically. And you should be able to get them for more like £750 ish
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pt1234567890

by pt1234567890

Agree broadly with the other comments, go for some hand-built wheels if you can. I've also got a set of Mavic R-Sys SLR's, you might be able to find some, like last years model, in your price range. Would not opt for Hunt wheels, they won't help you with repairs etc.

dim

by dim

look at the 2nd hand market ... bargains to be had .... such as this:

American classic wheelset sprint 350 ....

1396 grams and tubeless ready .... cost: £250 Buy it Now on Ebay
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Discodan wrote:If you're looking at pre-built you'd be mad not to consider the Dura-Ace C24's as well, sub 800 euro, 1380g claimed (mine come in at 1320), and very well regarded
This. Either clincher or Tub they're bomb proof.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

robertbb wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:09 am
I'd strongly recommend against the XR200's. I used to have a pair of these, built 20/28 by Ron Ruff using DT240s rear (2x) and Alchemy ELF front (radial). This was a very popular custom build around the 2010/2011 period.

1) The rims are very soft, and unless you plan to go 32/32 double cross they will flex. They will flex anyway.
2) The rims are very thin - even a 23mm tyre will create a floppily shaped tyre that compromises handling when you come back down. They also won't track so well and you'll get unintentional brake rub on sharp turns.
3) The braking surface isn't the best alloy has to offer.
Hmm, that's a bit discouraging. Are there any stiffer but still fairly light (under 450g) rims out there that are narrow enough (≥~20mm) to fit in ciamillo negative-g's? Narrow is not a problem, in fact it's necessary, but flex might be a problem even at my minimal weight as I ride a lot out of the saddle.

P.S. My original plan was going to be 24/24, would that be stiff enough for me (~50kg)

C36

by C36

themidge wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:09 am
I'd strongly recommend against the XR200's. I used to have a pair of these, built 20/28 by Ron Ruff using DT240s rear (2x) and Alchemy ELF front (radial). This was a very popular custom build around the 2010/2011 period.

1) The rims are very soft, and unless you plan to go 32/32 double cross they will flex. They will flex anyway.
2) The rims are very thin - even a 23mm tyre will create a floppily shaped tyre that compromises handling when you come back down. They also won't track so well and you'll get unintentional brake rub on sharp turns.
3) The braking surface isn't the best alloy has to offer.
Hmm, that's a bit discouraging. Are there any stiffer but still fairly light (under 450g) rims out there that are narrow enough (≥~20mm) to fit in ciamillo negative-g's? Narrow is not a problem, in fact it's necessary, but flex might be a problem even at my minimal weight as I ride a lot out of the saddle.

P.S. My original plan was going to be 24/24, would that be stiff enough for me (~50kg)
Mavic open pro? 19 internal, 4d milling for optimised weight resistance, below 430 g (have seen some at 417)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

I realise this has got a bit off topic, but here goes anyway.
The new open pro definitely looks good.. except it's 19mm internally, not externally, which is more what I'm looking for.
Here is the clearance that a Ciamillo Negative-G caliper has with new Swisstop black Pros alloy pads (or something):
About 21-22mm. Lower profile pad holders (eg. KCNC) could improve clearance, but the maximum outer rim width I can manage now is about 21mm. For reference the DA C24's that will go with these (haven't finished the build yet) should work fine. I don't mind narrow tyres either, anywhere from 23 to 25 (actual) is fine. Of course brake pads wear and so the gap widens, but I don't want to sand down new pads just to make my brakes work.

Attermann

by Attermann

just get the low profile pad holders from ciamillo, then it will work

Marin

by Marin

Are the Negative Gs narrower?

I can run 25mm rims in my Zero Gs no problem.

themidge

by themidge

It seems so, the ruler never lies. Perhaps you have lower profile pad holders? They seem to be my best option. Or I could just get the XR200's and see how it goes, I don't think flex would be too much of an issue at my weight :D .

Attermann

by Attermann

i run the lower profile pad holders, and i need two spacers under each for a normal set of shamals, old width

Marin

by Marin

Are there low and super-low profile holders?

I have a set that is even lower than the one I'm running.

themidge

by themidge

I think so, I'll probably get KCNC pad holders (they seem to be very low profile, and light) if it becomes a problem or I get new wheels.

Thanks for the replies everyone by the way :D .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com