Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL Tubular Haute Route Wheelset, advice or reviews needed.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

Have any members, used or know of any reviwes of these wheels, before i buy a set.
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL Tubular Haute Route Wheelset. I do currently have the Mavic Ksyrium Pro alloy Haute Route wheelset in the clincher type. I really like them, stiff and quite fast on the flats. My concern with the tubular carbons are, reliabilty and will the be any more aero then my current wheelset? They are aprox, 300gr weight difference, so should be faster on the hill. Buy the rim height is only 25mm but a lot more rounded”aero profile” plus the spokes are not as wide as the alloy rime version. Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have a set of Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL clinchers so I can comment on everything except the lighter weight. Overall the wheelset is very good. No regrets. The build is good, quite stiff but still a smooth ride. The hubs are solid, fast, and reliable. The freehub is a bit loud when coasting. Note that the the hub has a ring drive mechanism similar though not quite the same as DT. Braking is as good as carbon gets, but expect pads to wear quickly. As for aerodynamics, only scientific testing will give you a meaningful answer. Anecdotally I find them very fast feeling and indeed the rim shape is quite blunt and very much in keeping with the current state of technology. The Haute Route version gets you ceramic bearings IIRC so lighter and theoretically faster still.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TGMVC

by TGMVC

Hey, Just wondering did you get these wheels, Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL Tubular Haute Route Wheelset. I'd be interested to see if you are having the same issue as me?

merlinxlm

by merlinxlm

No, I acctually sent them back. After comparing to my current wheel set, the alloy exalith version. Which looked a better quality wheel set, not as light. But better finish and look more robust. But I was thinking of buying them, as my hill climb racing set. What problems are you having with your set, in case that I do buy a set?

TGMVC

by TGMVC

There is a lot of friction in the rear hub, wheel is slowing down as if the break pads are rubbing on it. If it is on the workshop stand and you spin the peddles the wheel will push the crankset around once you let go.... not what I was expecting from a limited edition wheel set with ceramic bearings.....