Sub 1200gr alu clincher! Best build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tagesol

by tagesol

Hi All.

I'm new on here, but not new to road cycling. I have been lurking for a while, but it's time for a first post.
Data: Norwegian, born in the 60's, 75 kg, some master cup ambitions for 2018, Canyon Ultimate SLX, DA, Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40 T.

I thought I would start my life here on WW by shamelessly asking for some help with a light weight wheel build! :oops:

Alu clincher, stiff, shimano hub, sub 1200gr, sub £1000. Low profile rim and a high spoke count are preferable. Have been searching, but have not found the right combo.

Has anyone some experience with a build like this?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It is possible just. The lights alloy clincher rim is the stans alpha 340 @385g each. Extra lite cyber hubs are 182g/pair. 48 cx Ray spokes (20f/28r) will weigh 240g. Add that up and you get 1192g of the rims are not over wright. Wheel builders won't select the lightest rims unless you are willing to pay over the odds.

That would not be a stiff build though. Stiff enough

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

https://radsporttechnik-mueller.de/
They also have an ebay page. They have some alu rimmed BOR wheels with Extralite hubs and CX Rays. Around 1200g for €800.

I can't comment on the stiffness though. You may need a deeper rim to achieve that. They do 41 deep carbon clinchers at about 1100g - 1200g, but while they might be stiffer, they'll blow your budget! They even have sub 1kg carbon clinchers!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Use a 2:1 hub like the extralite sp-t. That lets you use lighter spokes on DS.

It only exists as 24h though.

/a

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the extralite hub NDS flange is not far enough out for triplet lacing to be stiffer than 1:! lacing. The suggestion I have will be stiffer than the your suggestion and possibly lighter as a stans 340 rim on your suggested hub with thin spokes would be laterally not very stiff at all. Radial stiffness would also not be high.

I have done one wheelset with the stans 340 rim 24H rear with sapim race spokes boith side 1:1 lacing but with he Miche Supertype hubs with 17mm DS/49mmNDS flange spacing. Lateral stiffness is just about passable. I wont sell the wheel though as if a rider is too hard on them they would fail. the hubs mostly likely will find there way into something in time. I have a set of wheels with these hubs are while the tension balance is poor the lateral stiffnes is high enough that NDS spokes dont loose tension. Miche have also done a number of test in there wheel torture chamber and what they have found is spoke life for this kind of hub is not compromised.

you can over think this and end up with a poorer wheel as a result. The extralite hub need a fairly stiff rim due to its geometry. no way around that. you are better of with the standard extralite hub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have done some sums based on a hub with the flange spacing of extralite std and triplet hub being laced to a kinlin xr31t and the standard hub has a lateral stiffness that should be 6.5% greater. Next I will work out what the tipping point is but I think the nds flange has to be 45mm or so from centre like a campanolo triple hub for example.