Why would any one would like road tubeless tires, after installing one :-)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

I got my first tubeless wheelset, and got some Hutchinson Sector 28s.

For the love of JC, why is it so hard to install these things? :noidea:

For the first one, I tried for 45 mins, decided to use levers, very gently pulled the tires over the edge, and broke the bead...
Second try took me 1 hr 40 mins and a boat load of curses (trust me cursing doesn't help, but it feels better :smartass:), and my thumbs hurt. It is not as if the surface is not slippery, I've used load of soap. The tire is just too small to go over the edge.

Seriously, is there a trick you guys use to install tubeless tires? Should I try stretching the tire first?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

just wait till you try to inflate them and seat the bead... (unless you have a compressor.)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have a compressor. So it was not a big deal.

Still, after all that, I've managed to install just one tire. I'll either pay an LBS to install the other one or change the tire brand. I'm thinking about trying Spec Turbo next.

Nonetheless, there has to be a trick installing these...

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A trick I use to get a difficult bead over the rim edge is to get as much
as possible of the already installed bead in the depest groove of the rim. This is usually in the middle of the rim and it maximizes the slack for the last part to slip over.

I rarely even use tire levers anymore after learning this. Both to mount and remove tires. Thumbs are enough and they are not close to bleeding afterwards. :thumbup:

Soap is for when you inflate a tubeless tire, not getting it on the rim.

/a
Last edited by alcatraz on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:11 am
A trick I use to get a difficult bead over the rim edge is to get as much of the already installed bead in the depest groove of the rim. This is usually in the middle of the rim and it maximizes the slack for the last part to slip over.

I rarely even use tire levers anymore after learning this. Both to mount and remove tires. Thumbs are enough and they are not close to bleeding afterwards. :thumbup:

Soap is for when you inflate a tubeless tire, not getting it on the rim.

/a
^^^^^^
This, but have only ever used Schwable One & One Pros

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

2old4this

by 2old4this

In the reviews for Schwalbe, people talk about frequent punctures. So I am skipping Schwalbes.

You are right about the grooves in the middle. Unless you get both beads in there, tire does not get on the wheel.

I've called two LBSes where they sell Hutchensons. One flat out says they do not install them. Apparently it is not cost effective, since it takes too long to mount the tires. The other installs them for $30 each, if you buy the tape, valve and Stans... :(

Marin

by Marin

If the 1st bead goes on without tools, the 2nd will too. Levers will make it MUCH harder because they fill precious space.

Orlok

by Orlok

The best and only way to fit them on the rim if you have tubeless tires. :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

RyanH

by RyanH

It's like child birth, over time you forget about it and then you have to do it again.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I highly recommend the VAR tire lever. Don't leave the house without one.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

RyanH wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:51 pm
It's like child birth, over time you forget about it and then you have to do it again.
Many say "once was enough, never again". :)
And just wait till they start yelling at you in public. Equivalent of fixing a flat that wouldn't seal in the wild.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Multebear

by Multebear

No experience with tubeless, but lot's of experience with tricky handbuild Flo30 rims.

I just use this tool. And it makes everything very easy. No idea if it works on tubeless. But why shouldn't it?

https://www.pushys.com.au/bbb-btl-78-ea ... lever.html

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I install Hutchinson Fusion 5s by hand, seat them with a Lezyne HP floor pump, and can remove them without levers too. Same goes for Zipp and Mavic tires. I’ve pretty much converted to Hutchinson manufactured tires like the brands mentioned above...they don’t puncture as easily as Pro Ones, they mount more easily and they are easy to pop out from behind the bead lock/lip. The 25mm TLR Galactiks are 219g, about as light as GP4Ks, lighter the Corsa Speeds or Pro Ones. Pro Ones have slightly better tread life, but they puncture for me way more often.

https://youtu.be/wQnnw4USXJw

^ Zero effort required.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Irc tyre levers are the strongest and most durable levers you can buy full stop.

Washing up liquid helps as it is easier to chase the slack around the rim. Tubeless setups take me to 20 min unless the tyre rim combo is bad.

I still can't mount a mavic tyre by hand on the rims I have tried. They are pretty much like to gates you have said though but I do find the puncture more than the irc's but are comfortable. The punctures gave not caused me bother either except one where I lost all the air on a cold Jan night and rode the last 4 miles on a flat because I could not be arsed stopping.

The mavic though do seem to wear faster than the irc's. They are easy to fit though with one tyre lever. Not a bad tyre just not the best for me anyway. Wear life is important for me.