Wheels for new build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which wheelset for C64 disc with DA Di2?

Lightweight Wegweiser
13%
Enve 3.4 CK ceramic bearings
44%
Black Inc. 50
No votes
DA C40 9170
31%
Other
13%

Total votes: 16

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

many wheels are relaible though. 5 year warranty should not be swaying you. for the money you spend on those parts that the least they could offer.

The point we are trying to make is other rim and hub that cost a fraction of what ENVE rims and CK hubs cost, offer performance and reliability.

You are in the trap that spending more buy more quality (whatever that means)..... spending more sometimes means just spending more which is just fine for the shop getting the trade. they will say thankyou very much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

bm0p700f wrote:To me Chris King and eve are over priced. Never actually understood what the benefits of these parts are. A set of campanolo bora's are excellent. I build wheels that are similar. Enve and ck hubs are nice but simply blind over function although they will function well enough.
Glad I'm not the only one thinking this, Gen1 wheels had plenty of heat damage (even my 70kg mate can attest to that) Gen2 chew up pads at a ridiculous rate while not stopping as well as Reynolds Cryo wheels. CK hubs save 20g over WI while being more intensive to service. Don't get me wrong, I loved my CK hubs when I had them but I wouldn't rush out to pay the premium again.

If you're really bent on throwing money at wheels why not something like a MCFK55 rim to a pair of Extralite SPD hubs?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

They only way I would chose CK hubs is if I was set on getting some particular color... other wise a waste of $.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TonyM

by TonyM

Why not the DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut DB 48 or 62? Or the ERC 1100 Dicut DB 47? DT Swiss quality for the hubs, ceramic bearings, spokes and rims.

DT Swiss is definitely on the finest wheels on the market! Top swiss quality!

dim

by dim

I have Chris King R45 hubs (the ceramic bearing upgrade), on HED Belgium Plus rims with Sapim Cx Ray spokes. I'm very happy happy and feel that I made the right choice.

The guy who built my wheels, has been on the Chris King course where he was taught how to service the hubs. Yes, it costs £80 a year to service them (it costs £40 per time and with the miles do, they need to be serviced twice a year).

He said that comparing them to other hubs, is like comparing a formula 1 car to a normal car, and they are his favourite hub. Service them regulary, and they will last a lifetime (his words)

I will have another disc wheelset built for my new Audax/Commuter bike, and I will most probably opt for a Chris King rear hub and a Son Dynamo hub on the front
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

scb

by scb

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:31 am
bm0p700f wrote:To me Chris King and eve are over priced. Never actually understood what the benefits of these parts are. A set of campanolo bora's are excellent. I build wheels that are similar. Enve and ck hubs are nice but simply blind over function although they will function well enough.
Glad I'm not the only one thinking this, Gen1 wheels had plenty of heat damage (even my 70kg mate can attest to that) Gen2 chew up pads at a ridiculous rate while not stopping as well as Reynolds Cryo wheels. CK hubs save 20g over WI while being more intensive to service. Don't get me wrong, I loved my CK hubs when I had them but I wouldn't rush out to pay the premium again.

If you're really bent on throwing money at wheels why not something like a MCFK55 rim to a pair of Extralite SPD hubs?

I do like the MCFK55s but they aren't easily available in the US. I believe the only US dealer is Fairwheel in Tuscon.

scb

by scb

TonyM wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:05 am
Why not the DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut DB 48 or 62? Or the ERC 1100 Dicut DB 47? DT Swiss quality for the hubs, ceramic bearings, spokes and rims.

DT Swiss is definitely on the finest wheels on the market! Top swiss quality!
Thanks TonyM. I haven't focused on DT Swiss options but will take a look.

joejack951

by joejack951

scb wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:47 pm
I do like the MCFK55s but they aren't easily available in the US. I believe the only US dealer is Fairwheel in Tuscon.
...who currently has them in stock (24H drilling). What's stopping you from using them? They appear to be a super-light clincher option with the nice added touch of offset drilling. Not necessarily a budget-minded option but that doesn't seem to be an issue here.

scb

by scb

joejack951 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:27 pm
scb wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:47 pm
...who currently has them in stock (24H drilling). What's stopping you from using them? They appear to be a super-light clincher option with the nice added touch of offset drilling. Not necessarily a budget-minded option but that doesn't seem to be an issue here.
Ha! I only looked at complete build wheelsets on their website and not at the rim section. Thanks for the heads up.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Just hit up MadCow for a price for a pair built into Extralite hubs :)

Using Tapatalk

scb

by scb

Just hit them up for the MCFK35s with Carbon Ti and CK ceramic hubs. Interested wheel. Significantly lighter than anything I've been looking at.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Carbon ti hubs are the one expensive hubset that actually offers something different - very light and reliable. Easy to service to in that you just replace the bearings when worn.

scb

by scb

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:43 pm
Carbon ti hubs are the one expensive hubset that actually offers something different - very light and reliable. Easy to service to in that you just replace the bearings when worn.
I’m hearing good things about the Carbon Ti hubs. Wondering if it would be beneficial to add ceramic bearings.

I think I’ve gotten the LW out of my system but have added the MCFK for serious consideration. The rim isn’t as wide as the Enves or the Black Incs but it’s close, but still wider than the DA. And the weight is compelling. Slightly concerned about MCFK’s “newness” to making wheels. But also like the $700-800 lower price compared to the Enves. Not sure I’m crazy about the large white decals but they would probably work with the blue art decor color scheme in the C64.

moyboy

by moyboy

Large white decals come off. I confirmed with the folks at fiarwheelbikes.
Also on the other mcfk products they are all stickers. :D
scb wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:33 am
bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:43 pm
I’m hearing good things about the Carbon Ti hubs. Wondering if it would be beneficial to add ceramic bearings.

I think I’ve gotten the LW out of my system but have added the MCFK for serious consideration. The rim isn’t as wide as the Enves or the Black Incs but it’s close, but still wider than the DA. And the weight is compelling. Slightly concerned about MCFK’s “newness” to making wheels. But also like the $700-800 lower price compared to the Enves. Not sure I’m crazy about the large white decals but they would probably work with the blue art decor color scheme in the C64.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Did you not hear me. Spending more does not mean better uality always. Just because a wheel is cheaper does not mean it worse.

Ceramic bearings are a waste of money as most of them are standard steel races with ceramic balls. Campagnolo have the ceramic bearings perfected with there CULT system (USB bearings are a waste of money) but they use hardened stainless races so thin oil can be used. That what make them freerer running. you cant do that with std races and they would corrode./pit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com