extralite spd 2 hub thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moyboy

by moyboy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

What exactly would you like to know?

moyboy

by moyboy

General thought for such a lightweight hub. Sound / Flex / durability.

ms6073

by ms6073

Wow 146 grams for the rear 6-bolt disc hub, there aren't even that many front disc hubs that come in that light. I know it would add weight, but it would be really nice if Extralite would introduce centerlock versions of that hubset as I could easily see that making for a 1250-gram tubeless wheelset.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

moyboy

by moyboy

I totally agree. I would be interested if there was a centerlock version too! as i have a bunch of Centerlock rotors already on my other sets of wheels.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Extralite is rather limited on their hub versions. This SPD2 only comes in QR and 12x142. I had to customize axles for use in 10x135 and 12x135 frames.

As for the 6-bolt pattern, that's all they do, and ever have made.

sp3000

by sp3000

Great hubs, but you need to be aware they require a bit more service than others. The bearing pre-load also loosens off so requires a little attention every now and then to snip up a little or you'll get flex at the rim.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Isn't centerlock a slightly heavier design? Maybe that's why we won't see a centerlock extralite hub. Just a guess...

Nice hubs. I'd like to try sometime but the SP-T is quite rare and expensive. I like the idea of triplet lacing 2:1. (I don't use disc brakes)

/a

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Sadly the sp-t hub gives lower lateral stiffness than the STD hub so the nds flange has be another 4mm out to reverse that fact.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Back to the disc brake hub l, the rim brake road hubs seem to hold well do there should be no reason why the disc brake hub should be any worse.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm curious about the SP-T if I may discuss one last thing...

If the total tension on the 8 NDS spokes is equal to or higher than the 12 on the sp2, wouldn't that result in a comparable or perhaps better lateral stiffness? Assuming radial nds and 2x ds.

Not looking at the hubs max tension, with 33% more ds spokes there should be up to 33% more radial/lateral tension available to play with. With 33% less nds spokes the low tension there needs to be upped 33% plus whatever extra tension needed for balancing the extra DS spokes. 33%^2 = 78%. It's probably within the nds spokes capability to give them 78% more tension, no?

Solid rims would maybe be the bigger problem as with only 8 spokes there could be weird things happening under such high tensions. Nds flange could be the next problem.

I'm just an amateur but I like to think about these sort of things... :)

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com