Budget lightweight tubular rims for heavier rider?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChaosHokie

by ChaosHokie

I currently have a 50mm tubular wheelset with an open-mold tubular rim mated to WI T11 hubs (24/28), that comes in around 1400g with cx-rays spokes. Recently, I bought a set of Bora One 50 clinchers, which also comes in about 1400g (didn't weigh them). Since the depths are kind of redundant at this point, and the braking kinda sucks on the open-mold tubulars, I'm debating replacing those rims, keeping the hubs, with something lighter to build a climbing wheelset. I don't race, these would be purely for group/solo rides, sportifs.

I've searched the forum, but most of the discussions end up being about lighter riders :) I currently weigh 210 lbs (95kg) :oops: . Also, I'd like to keep these rims on the lower-price side... with some of the rims out there, it seems like it'd just be cheaper to sell the open-mold tubulars and get Bora One 35 tubulars. Ideally, I'd like to keep the rims to under $300 since I still have to get the wheels built.

I looked at the HED C2 rims, but those plus the WI T11 hubs that I already have would come in around 1300-1400g which doesn't really save me antyhing over the Bora One 50's....

Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

WI T11 are hands down the best hubs out there. Especially if you are a heavier rider. Rebuilding the wheel with lighter chinese rims, would be my suggestion. I'm a few kg lighter than you at the moment, but I've been where you are, and I've had no problems with Farsport clincher rims riding mountains.

Take a look at Farsports hp, I'd look at something like the 30x25 mm U shaped tub rims. The claimed weight is 340 grams. Real world weight is probably 360-370, but that's still very reasonable. That will get in the 1.300 grams area. You could also get the 30x23 mm rims and save another 100 grams. You'll need new spokes. But that would be a very nice wheelset. Probably as fast as Zipp 202's.

ChaosHokie

by ChaosHokie

Interesting suggestion... what about aluminum rims? Or for what I want, will I have to go carbon?

LouisN

by LouisN

30 X 25 or 23mm asian carbon rims would probably do the thing.
Weights posted above are for tubular rims, not clincher. I would go tubular for better rim strenght too.

Louis :)

Multebear

by Multebear

The weights I have posted are tubs. Farsport haven't got any clincher rims below 375 grams.

Regarding aluminum rims, there aren't a lot of tubs below 400 grams. Mavic Open Pro T (tubular) is 360 grams. But that only comes in 32h drilling (maybe 28h if you're lucky to find one). Same goes for the Ambrosio Crono F20 rim, which comes in 32h and 28h. I wouldn't go down that road for tubs for your roadbike. The Farsport rims are really excellent. I have 3 wheelsets, 2 clincher and 1 tub (for cx). Love them all.

joejack951

by joejack951

Farsports FSL25-TM-23 tubular (25mm deep, 23mm wide). 250 grams/rim @ ~$300/pair delivered. Mine arrive soon. Pairing them with Bitex centerlock disc hubs for a ~1150 gram wheelset (24/24 f/r Sapim CX-Ray spokes). You could build them with more spokes and lighter hubs for a very light wheelset, especially if using light 23mm tubs as I plan to do (Vittoria Corsa Speed).

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

https://www.lightbicycle.com/25mm-deep- ... rface.html

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

joejack951 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:50 am
Farsports FSL25-TM-23 tubular (25mm deep, 23mm wide). 250 grams/rim @ ~$300/pair delivered. Mine arrive soon. Pairing them with Bitex centerlock disc hubs for a ~1150 gram wheelset (24/24 f/r Sapim CX-Ray spokes). You could build them with more spokes and lighter hubs for a very light wheelset, especially if using light 23mm tubs as I plan to do (Vittoria Corsa Speed).
I wouldn't go too light when 95 kg. This one has a weight limit of 90 kg.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The hed rims or kinlin tb20 are both excellent and weigh 435g each. Even with cxrays your wheels with your current hubs will be 1475g.

These are the lightest production alloy rims in the drilling you have. Also the lighter rims like the ambrosia f20 are not stiff enough for you.

Braking on open mould rims does not have to be bad. The new ones are good and brake pad choice is important too.

Deeper wider rim are better for the op. The 50mm deep tubulars I use are 370g but there is a lighter version.

If your just buying rims get some farsport 25mm wide 50mm deep rims and they should be around 400g or lighter.

The mavic open Pro t rim I have is 400g.

ChaosHokie

by ChaosHokie

Thanks for all the replies...so basically, with the current hubs, I'd have to go to those LB or Farsports narrow profile carbon rims to save ~200grams? And... aluminum wouldn't save me anything either...

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take apart the current wheelset or just buy a ~1200gr tubular wheel system from Farsports/LB. Something to think about.

Multebear

by Multebear

ChaosHokie wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm
Thanks for all the replies...so basically, with the current hubs, I'd have to go to those LB or Farsports narrow profile carbon rims to save ~200grams? And... aluminum wouldn't save me anything either...

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take apart the current wheelset or just buy a ~1200gr tubular wheel system from Farsports/LB. Something to think about.
I wouldn't focus too much on the complete wheelset weight. 1.250 or 1.400 doesn't matter, since a part of that are the hubs. And WI T11 are on the heavy side of high end hubs. But I wouldn't replace the hubs, since they as mentioned are the best of the high end hubs for your weight. You need to focus on the rim weight and shape. If you want to go faster uphill. Hub weight is as good/bad as body weight, since they are placed in the middle of the wheel, and thus not really rotational mass. I would find the best compromise between weight and aero on the rims.

I have 4 wheelsets with high end hubs. WI T11, CK R45 (ceramic), DT240s and Dura Ace. I prefer the WI hubs. I'm not gonna build wheels with hubs lighter than 300 grams a set. There's a reason why they are light, and it's not durability. Keep the WI hubs, and focus on rims, preferably something that is close to Zipp 202 rims like the Farsports 30x25 mm U shaped ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Multebear wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm not gonna build wheels with hubs lighter than 300 grams a set. There's a reason why they are light, and it's not durability.
Blasphemy :mrgreen: I like it !
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)