Freehub and cassette Repair

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RazorL

by RazorL

Situation:
Got a pair of nice vintage Zipp wheels witch i enjoy riding on. The problem with the wheels is that they are 10 speed only and the cassette body is in quite bad shape (cassette biteing into the freehub).
Zipp cannot help me at this moment as the hub is discontinued.

I was thinking about this with a friend who is some sort of engineer and he came up with this idea.
He said i should try soldering the cut's in the alu freehub and then file them down so they are even again. Anyone ever tried this or think this should work?

2nd question:
If i would like to ride this wheels 11 speed can i modify a cassette (dremeling 1.8mm of the back of the cassette) to fit it on the freehub?
Anyone here has experience with this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

1: You can file the grooves, and buy yourself some time. But it's only gonna get worse until you eventually wont be able to fit the cassette on the freehub anymore.

2: There are special cassettes out there for 11 speed, that fit 10 speed freehub. But they are expensive. The topic has been discussed many times. Google will help you out. Dremelling has been done as well on some hubs. Works on Dura Ace Hubs. Not sure if the Zipp freehubs have the space to do. But be aware that you are moving your cassette dangerously close to the spokes, and if the rear derailleur gets caugt in the spokes while riding, then there's a risk you will ruin not only RD and wheel but the chainstay as well. And suddenly this cheap solution will become a very expensive one.

The correct solution would be to rebuild the wheel with a 11 speed hub. Preferably with a hub with titanium or steel freehub. They wont get chewed up by cassettes. Dura Ace and White Industries T11 offer titanium freehub body. Zipps hubs are crap anyway. If yours doesnt creak and has play, you're lucky.