Bora one 35 vs. 50; keep or change?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Or the new Campagnolo Bora WTO in 60mm!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

hannawald wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 am
Campy's rim profile has the best compromise between aero drag and weight. U shaped rims are heavier because there are more materials. At low yaw angles 'V' and 'U' shapes have the same aero qualities. The Campy wheels test out very well aerodynamically by the German Tour magazine. And lastly a wheelset isn't a good wheelset unless it has quality hubs. Campy hubs are magnificent.

Lightweight's rim profile is not even close to Campy's profile.

And Campy's rear wheels are stiff due to the 2:1 spoke pattern. Zipp/Roval/Enve don't offer 2:1 spoking.
Can you remember some details how Campy did in aero test? I am a bit hasitant about its profile..everybody say go wide U shape:)
The Bora 50 did better than Zipp 303 Firecrest and they are much lighter too. I did do my homework before I bought the Boras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hannawald

by hannawald

thanks for the test results. Thinking of buying bora one 50 discs, but never had tubulars.. I just really like its appearance, though my bike is on shimano . what puts me off is the ultra narrow width (my 25mm tyres are actually 28mm on current clinchers) and fact that Campa starts to abandon tubulars and goes wider in new generation..

jlok

by jlok

@hannawald I had the same feeling before buying the Bora One 50, but not anymore after putting it on my Propel (rim brake). Got Vittoria Corsa 23 at the front and 25 at the back. This wheelset is wonderful! Stiff, light, cheap, aero, pick four!
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Johnzy

by Johnzy

Hi,

I have both Bora Ultra 35mm wide variant latest rim and new AC3 brake surface Bora Ultra 50mm since 8/2017. Veloflex Arenberg tubulars on both, front 50mm is currently with Veloflex Carbon. Differences are:

1. 50mm version feels faster, cuts through air smoother at around 35kmh, I think average speed is around 1kmh higher
2. 50mm version is stiffer uphill, less brake rub
3. 50mm version is more comfortable - this is actually the biggest difference for me - and surprise
4. I "believe" there is no weight difference, haven't weighed them without tubulars but can with them glued on if anybody wants, cassette is the same on both
5. haven't noticed any difference in braking performance, to me they feel the same, that is adequate, a little lag in rain that one can easily anticipate
6. 50mm does catch side winds in the front noticeably more, in my (sub)Alpine country (Slovenia) it doesn't matter much but I won't take them to GC or Tenerife again, those winds are sometimes prohibitive for 50mm

Summary
50mm through fair weather with not much wind is better in almost every aspect. 50mm in the back and 35 mm in the front in transition time. Winter and windy condition 35mm.

Bike is Colnago C60, weight is around 67kg (rider's).

Cheers

Beaver

by Beaver

Tour magazine has stated the difference between a very bad and very good aero wheel to be 15 watts at 45km/h - overall you will need around 450 watts at that speed, so the difference will be around 0.5 km/h at that speed... Crosswind stability is the worst with torodial rims, then round V-shape, then Reynolds teardrop shape. Dragwise it's the other way around. But the differences are marginal, never expect too much. And crosswind stability is a very subjective matter, for some 60mm rims are no problem, for others unrideable.

guyc

by guyc

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:05 am
hannawald wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 am
Campy's rim profile has the best compromise between aero drag and weight. U shaped rims are heavier because there are more materials. At low yaw angles 'V' and 'U' shapes have the same aero qualities. The Campy wheels test out very well aerodynamically by the German Tour magazine. And lastly a wheelset isn't a good wheelset unless it has quality hubs. Campy hubs are magnificent.

Lightweight's rim profile is not even close to Campy's profile.

And Campy's rear wheels are stiff due to the 2:1 spoke pattern. Zipp/Roval/Enve don't offer 2:1 spoking.
Can you remember some details how Campy did in aero test? I am a bit hasitant about its profile..everybody say go wide U shape:)
The Bora 50 did better than Zipp 303 Firecrest and they are much lighter too. I did do my homework before I bought the Boras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can I ask where you can see/subscribe to this (I assume it's Tour?) in English.....

PinaRene

by PinaRene

My Hyperon Ultra Two tubular wheels are 20.5mm measured and 1198 grams/ set without QR's so information about the wheels is not correct. Damn good wheels though , used them on the cobbles in Flandres a few weeks ago with 25mm Vittoria Corsa Grapheen Tubulars. They are responsive - forgiven - light and bombproof as far as I can tell. And I had them as clinchers also about 10 yrs ago.

Don't think you can go wrong with the Campagnolo Bora's 35 or 50 both of them are great also - Have a pair of the 50's also - love to ride them in the Alps - or long days on the saddle :wink:

audiojan

by audiojan

Still riding my Bora 35's. I'm tempted to put my ENVE 6.7's back on again though... the weight difference is definintely there, but the ENVE's absolutely fly on the flats... and it's not really that much of a difference in how they handle in cross winds (which you would think it would be...)
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

audiojan

by audiojan

Ok, so I put the ENVE 6.7's back on. Holy sh*t!! Those things absolutely fly!!!!! I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of my Bora 35's and getting a pair of either 4.5's or 5.6's.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

TonyM

by TonyM

Why not the 6.7 if you love them?

audiojan

by audiojan

TonyM wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:15 am
Why not the 6.7 if you love them?
Because I do need them for my tri bike... so either either have one set of wheels and swap back and forth (not difficult or time consuming, just not the most convenient...), deal with the Bora 35's on my road bike, or sell the Bora's and get another pair of 6.7's (or at least deeper set than the 35's)

guyc

by guyc

I wouldn’t want to run something like a 6.7 as a default road bike wheelset.

eforce123

by eforce123

campy hubs vs swiss 240 or 180?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, now i allready have about 500 km on my Bora One 50 AC3 (Conti Sprinter tubulars) so i can better compare to my Bora One 35 (i have there Vittoria Corsa G+ tubulars), so maybe different tires dont give best comparasion, but still enough ....

In last 500 km, i had about 7000 meters climbing, and some rolling terrain.. One part of this riding was with some intensive crosswinds..

1. Bora One 35 Tubs (3DIamond)

- I like how they climb, very neutral feeling, no crosswind effect, very secure feeling on downhills and u can turn in very tight spaces with a lot of confidence, keep speed on flats good enough, comfortable and not harsh feeling.

2. Bora One 50 Tubs AC3

- Stiff feeling on climbing, but feel that Bora 35 climb better (maybe because of the tires, and maybe weight difference. I measured 70 gm's difference between wheels (i measured them using same scale and without glue), keep speed on flats a bit better then Bora 35 (at least i have that feeling, need to go on flat segments to try to beat my PR's), not harsh, look sexy...

But going downhill is biggest difference.. If i can turn in very tight space and with a lot of confidence with Bora 35, with Bora 50 i have to lean bike and also need more space for a turn., and have not the most secure feeling (again, maybe different tires make this ) And on strong sidewind, i can feel the wind and not having the most secure feel (not dangerous, but need to brake to feel safe enough and im slower with Bora 50 vs Bora 35 on downhill).

Also after this 500 km and 7000 meters climb (and braking down :) ), no more brake squealing (which i had in first 100 km). . Also cant find difference big enough between AC3 and 3Diamond in braking performance...

If i need to choose only one wheelset: It will be Bora 35 (and if there is crosswinds, or climbing/downhill). If there is no crosswinds, no big climbs (not because of climbing, more because of going down after the climb) then Bora 50.