Lightweight Meilenstein 24E

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

I believe they are the updated disc breaks. Clincher is kind of heavy for LW, IMO...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

2old4this wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am
I believe they are the updated disc breaks. Clincher is kind of heavy for LW, IMO...
About 80g lighter than Zipp 202 NSWs or ENVE SES 3.4s, but dramatically less aero than either. Probably still just a single ply over foam core...sold at a crazy premium. Hard pass.

MCFK have 25mm deep tubeless ready disc clinchers that are 26.5mm wide and 1250g. Probably about the same aerodynamic performance TBH and way better cross-wind stability.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

If you go on www.bespokecycling.com there's quite a few pages all about the tubular 1165g and clincher 1290g versions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

moyboy

by moyboy

Weight advantage is no longer there. Its a 60 gram difference for the tubs and 100 for the clinchers.

There disc brake offerings are also reaching parity with other manufacturers at around 1400 grams.

I was interested in the details and once i saw the new weights it put me off.

ak47

by ak47

Those wheels are a joke now. Still using a rim shape designed in early 90s. The world has moved on from that time, but this company is still stuck with this archaic design. It's a bit painful to see they are no longer making any progress as I have alwayes liked this company and I am a former Lightweight wheels user.

Gipfelsturm still seem to be a good choice if you're looking for a low profile wheel, but if you need anything higher it seems that Corima is the way to go.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Agreed. I have a set of lightweight clinchers. Bought 5+ years ago when they were the lightest reliable clinchers by 200 grams. They have gone up as the competition has come down. Nil mention of aerodynamics. Still look narrow at trailing edge. Missed oppurtunity.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I’m somewhat disappointed. I knew a new rim was imminent and was hoping, perhaps optimistically, that with the wider rim we would see a more modern profile in general. Is it possible that this new profile will actually make handling slightly worse?

TonyM

by TonyM

Too bad Lightweight is not innovative as it used to be....

2old4this

by 2old4this

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:32 pm
2old4this wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am
About 80g lighter than Zipp 202 NSWs or ENVE SES 3.4s, but dramatically less aero than either. Probably still just a single ply over foam core...sold at a crazy premium. Hard pass.

MCFK have 25mm deep tubeless ready disc clinchers that are 26.5mm wide and 1250g. Probably about the same aerodynamic performance TBH and way better cross-wind stability.
I was (am?) a big fan of LW, but it was not even an alternative when I was ordering my first disk wheelset. 80gr savings over competitors doesn't justify the cost, IMO, given the bike is going to be heavier than a rim brake bike. Zipp, MCFK, Enve etc do have very competitive products.

And yet, Lightweight must still be doing fine financially, judging by their cost. :noidea:

sawyer

by sawyer

Expensive- clincher wheels cost £4,329 and the tubular wheels are £3,549

We could play LW marketing bingo: trotting out the tired past glories of old pros from the 90s who paid for their set ... CHECK. Unimpressive weight ... CHECK ... narrow trailing edge ... CHECK ... fat, non-aero spokes ... CHECK

I notice Bespoke describe the 60g weight increase as "tiny". Do you think they would describe a 60g weight decrease using the same word?

The tubs are only 30g lighter than my Bora Ones ... that's half a tiny difference using the Bespoke calibration
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

LeviR

by LeviR

Are the 24E tubeless ready?

They surely are the bling of all wheels if anything.

jlok

by jlok

only thing left is the stiffness maybe?

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

moyboy

by moyboy

Yes it's the stiffness that can't be duplicated with the lighter weight builds with traditional spokes.
jlok wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:23 am

C36

by C36

moyboy wrote:Yes it's the stiffness that can't be duplicated with the lighter weight builds with traditional spokes.
jlok wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:23 am

Not even sure... the front wheel is very stiff, the rear ok but not impressive. I haven't seen a recent Lab test but obermayer rear was in the 33N/mm, the std 44, when the best in class where in the 55-57 range (Mavic CCU, hypéron, corima mcc).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com