Winter Disc Build ~1500g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chunky666

by chunky666

Looking to try and WW my winter bike over the summer to make it just a bit more enjoyable to ride as it's currently a bit of a tank!

After weighing them i'd be looking at saving over 750g from the wheels alone if I can build a set up for something like 1500g.

It's a winter bike so the plan was to not spend a fortune if possible and try and strike a bit of a compromise between breaking the bank to save the last gram and trying to remain in a relationship with someone who does actually know how much bike parts cost!

Initial thoughts were maybe something like a DT350 hubs on a matching RR421 but I am however open to suggestions. Thats around 1250g plus spokes and nipples to go ontop.

Aero is not really a factor to consider as any aero benefit I get from the wheels is destroyed and then some by the big mudguards on it!

The hubs need to be QR compatible and not TA

I'm no WW myself so will be looking to build it as 24/28H maybe 28/28H if 24H for the front isnt an option but any less than that and I think they will end up a bit to flexy for me.

As an extra question could someone explain what the idea behind Asymetrical rims are? The bike has them at the moment and whilst i'm pretty good at the mechanics of bikes i'm not 100% sure why they exist? My thinking it is to do with the offset/dish of the rim against the hub making the point at which the rim is laced into the hub central allowing even spoke tension between Drive and non-drive side?

Thanks in advance for your help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Take a look at the DT 361 rims. They are light, and take wide tires if needed as well.

Not a lot of disc hubs are inexpansive AND light. Maybe the Novatec offerings are...

Regarding asymmetric rims, you're absolutely right. It all comes down to even out tension on the spokes between the DS and NDS.

joejack951

by joejack951

Bitex/Novatec hubs, Sapim spokes (Laser or Race depending on your budget). Do you care tubed or tubeless rims? BDop sells a light 420 gram 40mm carbon clincher that I believe is tubeless compatible. Should let you build a 1500 gram wheelset easily.

Or just order a kit: http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Carbon ... it%20I.asp

Svetty

by Svetty

Hope hubs aren't the cheapest but for a UK winter bike you're best off with something that won't need new bearings every few months. Malcolm at thecycleclinic does Miche hubs which are decent and a bit cheaper. Kinlin do a 22T disc rim which would be fine....

jfl

by jfl

Svetty wrote:Hope hubs aren't the cheapest but for a UK winter bike you're best off with something that won't need new bearings every few months. Malcolm at thecycleclinic does Miche hubs which are decent and a bit cheaper. Kinlin do a 22T disc rim which would be fine....
A bit cheaper? The Miche hubs are about the third of the price of the Hopes. They're incredible value for money.

Sent from my LIFETAB_P970X using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The Kinlin XR22rTS rims are best used on 28H or 32H drilling. weight is 435g

So 28H Kinlin with lasers or CX ray and the miche SWR (the new box is SWR not syntium which has according to miche bearings with improved tollerances) hubs would be fine for me or any rider which is symatpethic to bike (I build with sapim force spokes because from experience even light riders can be wheel killers) would weigh 1580g. This is the problem dropping below 1500g is going to be expensive. You could do it with the RR411 or the RR421 and the bitex hubs in 24H drilling but the wheel would be flexible and might fail you. I would not build it except for a child.

bitex B106F/R hubs are 405g for the Q/R version. the Q/R axle and end caps are heavier than the try axle versions. There is a lighter botex front hub but the B106 model is the sensible option. Novatec do a light D411/D412CB hub but the bearings are small (6802) which somewhat limits there appeal.

Carbon Ti hubs are about the lightest you can buy while still retaining reliability. 303g.pair but nearly £500 for a pair. These hubs let you drop below 1500g but do it right you need carbon rims and even then they tend to hover around 400-440g but at least they are stiffer so 24H rims are viable for many.

MTB carbon rims are even lighter but they tend to be hookless. I built up a set of LB flyweight rims hookless, 27mm wide 24mm deep 22mm internal width today. They weighed 300g. If you are using a 28mm tyre or wider at 50 psi tubeless then they should be fine if the tyre is a nice tight fit.

stormur

by stormur

I'm riding on/off road 28/24 DT350 / DT 411 Asy / Sapim D-light ... at 85kg . No issues . Still true from day 1. 1540g with QR caps. NOT expensive (400€ ish ). Basically none of my wheelsets were ever heavier than 1550g. Road or cross, rim or disc brakes. And I didn't weight just 85kg while ago ...

So you're or extremely conservative in wheel durability estimations, or something is wrong with your building skills ( if IYO 1500g wheelset can't stand <90kg rider ) or can't choose right components for the purpose.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chunky666

by chunky666

Thanks for all your input. You've certainly given me some options I had either not considered or even heard of before.

I picked 1500g as that seemed a ballpark figure that was somewhere between light and expensive vs heavy and cheap. I'd be fine if they came out over that but obviously 2kg is just stupid so wouldn't even bother.

Spoke count was suggested as in my experience i've found keeping low spoke count wheels true and my longest serving wheels are Flo Carbon/Alu deeps with 24/28H.

I'm not interested in Carbon rims as thats likely to take me over any type of budget I have yet to set.

I'm looking at trying to get my 10kg+ bike down into the territory i'm happy with without breaking the bank. As much as I haven't got round to weighing components yet I know the wheels are absolute tanks(2.5kg territory) so the wheels seemed like a really good place to start before getting into the ever decreasing returns area's of things like Ally botls over steels etc.