Bontrager Aeolus 3 TLR D3 Clinchers vs Zipp 202 Firecrest Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

simpsonn

by simpsonn

I'm stuck trying to decide between which wheelset to buy and hoping someone who has ridden both can assist me with pros/cons of each one. The one pro I've came across is that the Bontragers are about 100 grams lighter than the Zipps.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you want light, both the Roval CLX 32s and ENVE SES 3.4s are lighter than either. I like my 202 NSWs...they are quite stiff for 32mm deep wheels and they weigh exactly as listed on Zipp’s website with preinstalled tubeless tape and valves.

izza

by izza

You may not have a ch a choice to make. The Bonty wheels are being replaced with a newer/different version in July. As such, Trek are not replacing stock and dealers will struggle to get hold of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ah right, new XXXs on tap...forgot about that.

simpsonn

by simpsonn

Would love a pair of ENVE or Zipp NSWs but they're a bit out of my budget. I found a set of 202s and Aeolus locally for sale within budget.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I purchased a pair of DT Swiss Spline RC28 Mon Chasseral clinchers that weight 1250 grams were on sale for $1700 from Merlin Cycles. Wheels were originally $3000. These wheels are amazing! The hub is an carbon upgraded DT180 ceramic that spins beautifully. As someone who owns Zipp NSW's and Bora Ultras, I can tell you these wheels are as good, if not better.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:51 am
I purchased a pair of DT Swiss Spline RC28 Mon Chasseral clinchers that weight 1250 grams were on sale for $1700 from Merlin Cycles. Wheels were originally $3000. These wheels are amazing! The hub is an carbon upgraded DT180 ceramic that spins beautifully. As someone who owns Zipp NSW's and Bora Ultras, I can tell you these wheels are as good, if not better.
These wheels look interesting. Can you help me confirm a couple of things? I read two reviews and they came up with different weights. One was 1272g. with rim tape and the other was 1205g with no mentioning of rim tape, either with or without. If you can tell me what yours weighed that would be great, with or without rim tape. The published weight is 1250g and I assumed yours might be different from the published weight. Lastly I see conflicting data on the internal width. Merlin says 16mm but a review said 15mm. If you can confirm the actual internal width that would be awesome. Thanks.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:13 am
Noctiluxx wrote:
These wheels look interesting. Can you help me confirm a couple of things? I read two reviews and they came up with different weights. One was 1272g. with rim tape and the other was 1205g with no mentioning of rim tape, either with or without. If you can tell me what yours weighed that would be great, with or without rim tape. The published weight is 1250g and I assumed yours might be different from the published weight. Lastly I see conflicting data on the internal width. Merlin says 16mm but a review said 15mm. If you can confirm the actual internal width that would be awesome. Thanks.
They were about 1270 something with rim tape already installed. Yeah the wheels are not wide. Don't know the exact width but I was told by DT 23mm tires would be preferred. These wheels with 23mm Michelin Power Comp are incredible! BTW braking with EE calipers with Black Prince pads is the best Ive experienced from a carbon wheel.

PS: forgot to mention these wheels have a 200 LBS weight limit.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simpsonn

by simpsonn

Noctiluxx wrote:
They look like a great deal and low weight for a clincher. I guess I should've specified in my first post but looking for a wheel that's at least 32 mm deep.