New Mavic Open Pro Max Tire Pressure

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
pocari123

by pocari123

Hi everyone, I recently got a pair of the new mavic open pros built up and decided to use it with a pair of 25c Hutchison Fusion 5 galatik tubeless I had lying around. I know mavic doesn’t recommend using anything other than their own tires but I was lazy and figured it shouldn’t make that much of a difference.

I also noticed this sticker that came on the rim... Image

Is this “87psi max” warning because of mavic’s tubeless 28c tire (of which mavic recommends and has a max pressure of 87psi) or is it due to the structural defect of the rim? I don’t recall my R460 rims coming with such a warning and at such a relatively low pressure too.

I plan on running at around 90 (I know it’s high for tubeless , it’s just a personal preference) and was wondering if it is safe for the open pro rims to do so

I tried my local mavic dealer but they haven’t even heard of the new open pros so they couldn’t help at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The max pressure on a rim is related to the tire cord tension that is trying to pull open the rim bead. At a fixed pressure, the tire cord tension is a function of the tire width and a rim’s internal diameter. Since Mavic doesn’t know what size tire a customer will use they will assume the worst cast scenario which is likely a 28. For example if you use a 23mm tire you may safely go above Mavic’s max pressure. Likewise if you run a 32mm you need to go much lower. If you are using a 25mm you’ll be fine with 90psi. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk