Schmolke wheels TLO or SL ? review, stiffness??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

da123

by da123

ducman wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:28 pm
i'm planning on buying a 45mm clincher TLO set.
Reviews around here seem ok.
Or should i look elsewhere?
They are a nice wheel. Based on having these and the AX Lightness equivalent however, I would go for the AX. I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with either however.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What the germans have are light rims, the rest is standard.

If you buy the rims and lace to hubs of your choice with for example cx-ray spokes you'll get that same performance at a lower price.

If you want to weenie it lace them to extralite hubs and use sapim super cx ray spokes. Then if you got well selected rims you'll get a lighter wheel at around or under the cost of a whole wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

alcatraz wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:31 pm
What the germans have are light rims, the rest is standard.

If you buy the rims and lace to hubs of your choice with for example cx-ray spokes you'll get that same performance at a lower price.

If you want to weenie it lace them to extralite hubs and use sapim super cx ray spokes. Then if you got well selected rims you'll get a lighter wheel at around or under the cost of a whole wheelset.
I don't disagree, but I don't think you can get the AX or the Schmolke as a rim only? The Schmolke rim design is not exclusive to them, although due to the materials used I believe they've made it 50 g or so lighter than most others. They don't make it in-house like they do their bars / seatposts however. The AX rim is exclusive to AX and is made by them as well, which I think is a plus. It is also tubeless compatible, which the Schmolke rim isn't.

I'm sure you're right that you can DIY and do it cheaper, but I doubt it would be materially lighter (my Schmolke set came in at 1215g), and I don't think there would be much in the cost, depending on what exchange rate you're relying on. Sub £2k for a wheelset that light with top of the range Extralite or Tune hubs seems like decent value IMO.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Scholke, Tune (Airways 45) Riesel design B170 .... check the rims and you'll note that they're pretty close.

I would go for Tune. They're a bit wider and more true on weight.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ergott

by ergott

I'd get FSE and save a bunch of money. Quality is same if not better.

ducman

by ducman

I'm going for the SL45 set with Tune hubs
Hoping they survivie mountanious rides... :p

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ducman wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm
I'm going for the SL45 set with Tune hubs
Hoping they survivie mountanious rides... :p
CX-ray spokes and Mig/Mag 70/170. Probably the best choice of wheels here (most bang for the money).
Tune says the Mig 45 handles less weight than Mig 70, but Mag 170/150 handles same.
I have Mig/Mag 45/150 on my Ax wheels.

I hope you get back and tell me/ us how the wheels are. I'm very curious as i would like a clincher/ tubeless wheelset myself.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

ducman

by ducman

Ordered together with 420 schmolke handlebar :)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you care a lot for the weight then better get in touch with Schmolke to see what can be done if the weight is not as advertised. Maybe tell them to check the weight before they ship.

A forum user received a wheelset from Ax I believe that was quite off the mark and it ended with the boss saying all twenty wheelsets on stock are this "new" weight. So nothing could be done.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

My Ax Lighness Premium 38 tubular, CX-ray spokes 20/24, Tune Mig/Mag 45/150 weights 1010 grams.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I just build myself a Tarmac SL6 with the new Campagnolo Super Record eps 12v.
I'm currently ridining on Bora Ultra 35 clinchers.
Braking on those wheels is superb, nervetheless stifnees is not all that super and I believe a higher rim would look better on the bike.
I've had some LW Meilenstein before. Stifness was ultra good but braking was very ppo in my opinion.
So the Schmolke SL45 came on my radar.
They are light.
Are they stiff enough for me? I'm 80-85kg but hope to go back to 77-78kg.
And what about brak eperformance (which is ver important for me)

da123

by da123

bruno2000 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am
I just build myself a Tarmac SL6 with the new Campagnolo Super Record eps 12v.
I'm currently ridining on Bora Ultra 35 clinchers.
Braking on those wheels is superb, nervetheless stifnees is not all that super and I believe a higher rim would look better on the bike.
I've had some LW Meilenstein before. Stifness was ultra good but braking was very ppo in my opinion.
So the Schmolke SL45 came on my radar.
They are light.
Are they stiff enough for me? I'm 80-85kg but hope to go back to 77-78kg.
And what about brak eperformance (which is ver important for me)
I have LW Meilensteins and the TLO 45 clinchers. The TLOs are not particularly stiff, but the SLs will be stiffer I suspect as they are not using superspokes. I am 65kg and I can easily tell the stiffness difference between the TLOs and the LWs (which are the Obermayers, so not as stiff as standard Meilensteins). Braking is fine IMO, but I also find the braking on the LWs to be fine. If you want exceptional braking, I don’t think these wheels are the place to look.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

This is quite old, but i think it's a pity there's no data like this to be found these days
CCU beats Lightweight!
rigidit-_lat-rale_roues_2008.gif
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

da123

by da123

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:41 pm
This is quite old, but i think it's a pity there's no data like this to be found these days
CCU beats Lightweight!

rigidit-_lat-rale_roues_2008.gif
Agreed it would be nice to have some up to date info, although LW definitely stiffened up their Obermayer in particular since this data.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Probably, but question is, are they stiffer than the forthcoming CU with carbon hubs and full carbon spokes (rear wheel)!?!
Not sure i think Lightweight is all that when it's DT Swiss 240 hubs on all of them (might be mistaken)?

Atleast Mavics are sold as a tested system, with tires. Personally i find this more persuading,

Strangely Easton never released their full carbon E100 wheelset. Neither did FFWD with their Ghost.
Berk's are probably still "under development", but supposed to be released quite long ago.

Just looked up Corimas 47mm deep rims/ 26mm width. They weight 470 grams/ 1 rim, in clincher version.
They could be found light as a set, with carbon spokes and hubs. Never the less, the rims are still 470g.

Looking at wheelset i find cost vs performance, to be much bla bla bla,.... where are the stiffness data?
It's easier to quantify stiffness than aero (atleast for me).
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)