Schmolke wheels TLO or SL ? review, stiffness??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

But here's the rub, everyone I know of that has had both CCU and LW hands down prefer the LW even though ccu are stiffer. So, why is that?

da123

by da123

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:37 pm
Probably, but question is, are they stiffer than the forthcoming CU with carbon hubs and full carbon spokes (rear wheel)!?!
Not sure i think Lightweight is all that when it's DT Swiss 240 hubs on all of them (might be mistaken)?

Atleast Mavics are sold as a tested system, with tires. Personally i find this more persuading,

Strangely Easton never released their full carbon E100 wheelset. Neither did FFWD with their Ghost.
Berk's are probably still "under development", but supposed to be released quite long ago.

Just looked up Corimas 47mm deep rims/ 26mm width. They weight 470 grams/ 1 rim, in clincher version.
They could be found light as a set, with carbon spokes and hubs. Never the less, the rims are still 470g.

Looking at wheelset i find cost vs performance, to be much bla bla bla,.... where are the stiffness data?
It's easier to quantify stiffness than aero (atleast for me).
LW have DT internals. The hub bodies are carbon. I don’t think it is accurate to say that they are DT Swiss hubs, and I doubt even if they were that would be a factor in how stiff they are. I confess however that I know pretty much bugger all about exactly what makes a stiff wheel, but the LWs are plenty stiff enough. They are stiffer than any other ‘traditional’ wheel I’ve had that is a similar weight (and I’ve had several that are circa 1kg a set), and I understand this is due to the nature of the construction with the carbon spokes and the hub body effectively forming a single piece with the rim.

It is well documented that LW stiffened up the original obermayers (which is what the test you attach relates to).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ducman

by ducman

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:05 am
ducman wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm
I'm going for the SL45 set with Tune hubs
Hoping they survivie mountanious rides... :p
CX-ray spokes and Mig/Mag 70/170. Probably the best choice of wheels here (most bang for the money).
Tune says the Mig 45 handles less weight than Mig 70, but Mag 170/150 handles same.
I have Mig/Mag 45/150 on my Ax wheels.

I hope you get back and tell me/ us how the wheels are. I'm very curious as i would like a clincher/ tubeless wheelset myself.
They should arrive today.... :o

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

RyanH wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:41 pm
But here's the rub, everyone I know of that has had both CCU and LW hands down prefer the LW even though ccu are stiffer. So, why is that?
I don't know, have never owned Lightweight. It's not that Lightweight is free from disappointments and negative reviews.
Also, Lightweight is and has been raised above ("hallelujah"), so honestly, i think some who have them simply believe so strongly about them that they experience what they believe.
Same about Enve.
As pointed out for the fan-boys, i have never owned Lightweight. My previous gen CCU (Not CU aka wider rim) were stiff. To stiff using Scott Foil.
Brake rub seems to be happening on/off with different wheel combos and frames.

But we can not get away from the fact that CU are designed with rim and tire as a combo. We'll see when the new CU UST appears.
But Mavic seems super serious in this release and personally i believe more in this set.
Mavic's brake track are most likely better.

Yes, it's true Lightweight is entirely made from carbon (which UST will be to), with DT Swiss internally.
I don't say DT 240 is a bad hub, but the most expensive wheelset should have a high end hub to.

EDIT: i have yet to see data that Lightweight is as stiff or stiffer than Mavic CCU/ CU.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ducman

by ducman

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I truly loved the lightweight feel, Acceleration and lack of rolling resistence with my Schmolke 45 TLO wheels..... That was until they started deterioating and developing cracks.. I had them warrantied and laced those hubs (Tune 70/170 Ceramicspeed upgrade) to FSE 25T rims. My FSE 25's are so good! Having a good set of hubs laced to lightweight deep section rims, equates to an amazing rolling wheelset. I used to tuck down long descents and fly by guys hammering on the same descent.

I still have a set of Schmolke 30TLO laced to Tune 45/150 hubs. That set is still running strong, but I'm just bummed that I may be approaching an ineveitable demise with those hoops..
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ducman wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Hey Duckie,

how's the wheels?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

ducman

by ducman

The weather has been.... artic rain. Maybe this week some dry weather is coming....

Jbass

by Jbass

Denavelo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:10 pm
I truly loved the lightweight feel, Acceleration and lack of rolling resistence with my Schmolke 45 TLO wheels..... That was until they started deterioating and developing cracks.. I had them warrantied and laced those hubs (Tune 70/170 Ceramicspeed upgrade) to FSE 25T rims. My FSE 25's are so good! Having a good set of hubs laced to lightweight deep section rims, equates to an amazing rolling wheelset. I used to tuck down long descents and fly by guys hammering on the same descent.

I still have a set of Schmolke 30TLO laced to Tune 45/150 hubs. That set is still running strong, but I'm just bummed that I may be approaching an ineveitable demise with those hoops..
Have you tried contacting Schmolke? That makes me rethink these as an option for my new wheels...

Denavelo

by Denavelo

My wheels were built via Fairwheel bikes. The Schmolke wheels come with a 2 year warranty and I was able to warranty my 45 TLO rims.
My 30 TLO rims are solid and the braking is 10x better than the braking on the 45 TLO rims.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Denavelo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm
My wheels were built via Fairwheel bikes. The Schmolke wheels come with a 2 year warranty and I was able to warranty my 45 TLO rims.
My 30 TLO rims are solid and the braking is 10x better than the braking on the 45 TLO rims.
Have you any info from Schmolke why the TLO 45 rims delaminated aswell as why the TLO 30 offers so much better braking?
It seems like quality issues?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Yeah.... From what I was told by a reputable seller, there were numerous QC issues with the rims and especially at the spoke holes...

In one case, this same seller said they were simply truing TLO rims and they cracked. They no longer sell Schmolke rims. All of Schmolke other parts have been bulletproof, but the rims are quite fragile. My 30 TLO set is runnign strong though..

I'm not flaming Schmolke because all of their stuff has been very strong, with the exception of the rims I purchased.

ducman

by ducman

Did a 120k ride yesterday.
What's most noticeble is that the wheels accelerate so nice and climbing is a joy.
Did a few cobblestone sectors & they took that very nice, hold speed wel.
Braking is excellent, as good as my alu wheelset.
It seems like the yellow brake pads are going quick thow.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Do they have some kind of textured braketrack? Mavic wheels also eat brakepads but they do brake fine.
I'm really keen to learn more about the Schmolke wheels. 1200-1300gr for a 45cm rim clincher wheel and maybe good brake sounds better than the current Meilenstein options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

These rims aren't made my Schmolke though. I'm not sure who makes them?
Anyone?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)