Roval CL50 thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coolman2001

by coolman2001

Whats the weight difference between the 2 models?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cassard

by cassard

around 100g

coolman2001

by coolman2001

Thanks, I will be interested if you are letting go of yours.

cassard

by cassard

nvm wrong section

AW84

by AW84

sawyer wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:19 pm
I'd see what I could get for selling the Rovals as new.

The main issue I'd have with them is the round spokes. On an aero wheel that is just daft.

You have a good set of aero hoops, and can upgrade to what you really want at a later date.
Not too worried about that, I can always buy some spokes and have them laced up. More than anything, the wider bladed spoke looks nicer, but these CL's are much stiffer than any other full carbon wheel I've handled, so there's some benefit to just leaving them alone.

Is the ratchet and the rest of the internals interchangeable with better DT stuff to upgrade them, or is there no crossover in parts/design?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

It's interchangeable

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

AW84 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 am
sawyer wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:19 pm
I'd see what I could get for selling the Rovals as new.

The main issue I'd have with them is the round spokes. On an aero wheel that is just daft.

You have a good set of aero hoops, and can upgrade to what you really want at a later date.
Not too worried about that, I can always buy some spokes and have them laced up. More than anything, the wider bladed spoke looks nicer, but these CL's are much stiffer than any other full carbon wheel I've handled, so there's some benefit to just leaving them alone.

Is the ratchet and the rest of the internals interchangeable with better DT stuff to upgrade them, or is there no crossover in parts/design?
You mean buy some new aero spokes and lace them up to the rims? Not a great idea tbh from a functional and re-sale perspective, also means significantly more cost.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

cassard

by cassard

also, you will save 15g from round spokes to aero ones, and minimal aero benefits, for how much, like 200$ swap ?

I think the best combination for the price/weight/aero/stiffness would be the CL50 + ratchet upgrade and even then.

a 1515g claimed weight for 50mm disc wheels is still pretty nice. If I don't go custom build, they are first on my list.

adama696b

by adama696b

Hi, I just got some CL50 (used with about 500km) for a great price!

Rim brake version: 645g front and 839g rear (1484g total, without valves but with tubeless tape)
As expected no comparison possible with my previous aluminium box rim wheels.
Incredible stiff, great dry braking (not wet weather tested yet) and wide rim that just looks and feels great!

Even at retail prices I believe have much much greater value than CLX50 and really a better wheel than the metrons 55 in any condition.

Cheers

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Would you pick these or the 303FC with V9 hubs if you had both and wanted to sell a set?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk