Roval CL50 thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AW84

by AW84

Bought a new Tarmac with CL50's on it; the rims are shared with the higher-end CLX50 and measure 29.4mm wide, the round spokes make them super stiff, and they're pretty light, although I haven't weighed them. But I'm curious if the DT350 hub internals can be upgraded to the 180/240 stuff, or if that's even necessary?

I also own a set of Vision Metron 55's, which are deeper and have bladed spokes (noticeably more flex) but are narrower (24.5mm) and slightly heavier (I believe they're documented around 1600gr). I'm only going to keep one, and won't be test-riding the Roval's so I can potentially sell them as-new. Any riding or hands-on mechanical experiences with the CL50's for input on how they ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Keep the CL50, should be faster under most conditions and behave better.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

DT 240 and 350 internals are the same. 180 are ceramic. If you want to upgrade to ceramic, just buy ceramic bearings. No need to buy DT ceramic bearings.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The difference between CL and CLX is only 18-32 tooth ratchet and the bladed spokes. Possibly small machining differences in the shells. The rims are identical.

Using Tapatalk

Slack

by Slack

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:32 pm
The difference between CL and CLX is only 18-32 tooth ratchet and the bladed spokes. Possibly small machining differences in the shells. The rims are identical.

And CeramicSpeed bearings.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Ah yes. That small detail hahaha.

Using Tapatalk

morganb

by morganb

I would take the CL50s over the Visions any day, better hub internals and more flexibility with tire choice due to the wider inner and outer widths, plus tubeless compatibility.

cassard

by cassard

Since the thread as been started. does the price difference is worth it between the CLX and the CL ?

Let's say I take the CL with a 36t ratchet upgrade. Witch one you guys would take ?

AW84

by AW84

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Does the Roval/DT hub just have three pawls like the Visions, or is it altogether different?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

cassard wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:42 pm
Since the thread as been started. does the price difference is worth it between the CLX and the CL ?

Let's say I take the CL with a 36t ratchet upgrade. Witch one you guys would take ?
I'd still want bladed spokes (at least in the front) though. So considering price of new bladed spokes (and label price, if any) in there too.

AW84 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:29 am
Does the Roval/DT hub just have three pawls like the Visions, or is it altogether different?
0 pawl, seriously there is no pawl at all.
this is how it looks like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tog0RMNR4wA

sawyer

by sawyer

I'd see what I could get for selling the Rovals as new.

The main issue I'd have with them is the round spokes. On an aero wheel that is just daft.

You have a good set of aero hoops, and can upgrade to what you really want at a later date.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

morganb

by morganb

sawyer wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:19 pm

The main issue I'd have with them is the round spokes. On an aero wheel that is just daft.

You have a good set of aero hoops, and can upgrade to what you really want at a later date.
The difference is much less dramatic than I thought, when you have 16/21 spokes even less so.
https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... vs-cx-rays

bllx

by bllx

morganb wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:26 pm
sawyer wrote:

The difference is much less dramatic than I thought, when you have 16/21 spokes even less so.
Well, the difference between wheels are typically not that much more, see for example https://bikeblather.blogspot.se/2015/10 ... 1.html?m=1

sawyer

by sawyer

morganb wrote:
sawyer wrote:

That data looks odd! Explain why 25mph has a smaller delta than 20mph ...

But in any event I appreciate the difference would be small but it would annoy me ... and as you've posted this thread my guess is it will annoy you too
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

cassard

by cassard

sawyer wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:18 pm
morganb wrote:
sawyer wrote:

That data looks odd! Explain why 25mph has a smaller delta than 20mph ...

But in any event I appreciate the difference would be small but it would annoy me ... and as you've posted this thread my guess is it will annoy you too
you probably wouldn't see it if you didn't know about it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com