Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 TLR Disc wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gbrown

by gbrown

Went into LBS to check out my new Trek Domane SLR 9 Disc today, and it was all still in the box, so not much to see.

I did get a chance to check out and weigh the wheels, which are Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 TLR Disc wheels.

They were just about spot on the quoted weights of 668g (front) and 786g (rear)

One slight wrinkle, they came fitted with the plastic TLR (tubeless ready) rim strips, and we weighed another of these at 60g each!

So comparing weights of these wheels with wheels like the Shimano R9100 C40 wheels which come with tubeless rims, the Bontragers appear to be 100g a pair lighter, but actually weigh slightly more when comparing like with like. I intend to run tubeless Schwalbe Pro One 25mm tyres on the wheels.

While weighing the wheels I got a chance to weight the Dura Ace R9100 160mm rotor and it was 131g including the plastic bag it was in and the lock ring.

Will try and weigh more of the bike when they start to unpack and build it, hopefully next week.

Geoff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Thanks, Geoff. I’ll look forward to your updates. And post some pics when it’s ready!

Soon I’ll be pulling the trigger on P1 Domane SLR 8 Disc. Mind sharing your thinking about why you went with the 3 over the 5? I’m leaning towards the 5s because the shop says they’re a little stiffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

SilentDrone wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 pm
Thanks, Geoff. I’ll look forward to your updates. And post some pics when it’s ready!

Soon I’ll be pulling the trigger on P1 Domane SLR 8 Disc. Mind sharing your thinking about why you went with the 3 over the 5? I’m leaning towards the 5s because the shop says they’re a little stiffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've ridden both and own the 3's. Don't choose the 5's based on stiffness. The 3's are very stiff rims, and the build quality of the wheel is very good. You cannot tell a perceivable difference in stiffness between 3 and 5's in my opinion. The weight penalty is large, and I personally think that 5's will look out of place on a Domane. Aeolus 3's are really nice wheels.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

DOUG

by DOUG

I personally found the 3's to be very stiff but not overly so when set up tubeless. Not the lightest but very good aero properties and still light enough for riding in the hills or rolling terrain. Nice set of wheels all round

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So what was actually on the wheels when you weighed them? Rim strips and valves? Valves probably weigh around 10g each, so are you saying the wheels alone are in the very low 1300g range?

gbrown

by gbrown

SilentDrone wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 pm
Mind sharing your thinking about why you went with the 3 over the 5?
Well mainly because I bought the standard bike (£550 cheaper) and it came with the Aeolus 3, but I was happy with that and would have chosen them anyway, although I may have been tempted with a 3 on the front and a 5 on the rear.

I was more concerned about weight on a disc bike than the extra aero gain and I like to ride even if it's windy and so I wouldn't be too keen on the deeper sections. Even on my current Powertap 35 wheels I get moved about a bit in side winds.

Geoff

gbrown

by gbrown

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:48 am
So what was actually on the wheels when you weighed them? Rim strips and valves? Valves probably weigh around 10g each, so are you saying the wheels alone are in the very low 1300g range?
The front wheel was weighed at 729g with only the plastic TLR strip, no valve, and a separate strip was weighed at 60g, so I subtracted 60g to get 669g, against a claimed weight of 668g, so spot on.

The rear was not so clear, as it had tyre, tube and cassette on. The tyre and tube from the front was weighed to give 380g, but the cassette was just an estimate, and along with the TLR strip, that indicated that the claimed weight looked pretty close too. I'll weigh again when the cassette and tyres are swapped during build.

The claimed weight is 668g front and 786g rear, and they do seem to be genuine weights so 1454g total, but you would have to add 120g for the TLR strips, or I presume something for rim tape if running tubes, as I guess there is no rim tape under the TLR strip. I'm not going to remove the strips as it can damage them and I intend to run tubeless.

If looking for really low weights, I did weigh some Roval CLX32 disc wheels and they were quite a bit lighter, although I don't remember the actual figures. I could weigh them again next time I'm in the shop. If you were going to run them tubeless they would need more tape, but they did have tape for running tubes included in the weight. If weight is the main factor, it would be hard to beat the CLX32 wheels.

Cheers,

Geoff
Attachments
Aoelus3+TLRstrip.jpg

Delorre

by Delorre

gbrown wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:48 am
If looking for really low weights, I did weigh some Roval CLX32 disc wheels and they were quite a bit lighter, although I don't remember the actual figures. I could weigh them again next time I'm in the shop. If you were going to run them tubeless they would need more tape, but they did have tape for running tubes included in the weight. If weight is the main factor, it would be hard to beat the CLX32 wheels.

Cheers,

Geoff
I own Roval clx 32's and they are 1350gr, without rim strips or valves. The blue Schwalbe TL rims strips are only 5 or 6 gr / rim, the stock rim strips were 50 or 60 for the pair :shock: I dont' understand how these can be so heavy, given Schwalbe strips are like 5 or 6x lighter...

gbrown

by gbrown

Delorre wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 pm
I own Roval clx 32's and they are 1350gr, without rim strips or valves. The blue Schwalbe TL rims strips are only 5 or 6 gr / rim, the stock rim strips were 50 or 60 for the pair :shock: I dont' understand how these can be so heavy, given Schwalbe strips are like 5 or 6x lighter...
Yes, I was surprised that they could add 120g to a pair of wheels with just the plastic rim strips, I expected them to be much less!

So the CLX32 are quoted at 1340g and yours are 1350g, which is very close, and also 100g less than my Aoelus 3's, like for like (no tape, strips or valves). They are also a few hundred quid less list price.

I guess Bontrager would say that weight is not everything, and the Aeolus are supposed to be very fast wheels, but it is hard not to focus on weight when changing from a rim brake to disk brake bike, and gaining such a weight penalty.

Geoff

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Are those Aeolus 3's or Aeolus Pro 3's? Mine are 1360. Rim brake however.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

spartan

by spartan

aeolus 3 disc are just a stop gap measure from trek. they are too heavy not optimized for discs too expensive.
new generation coming this year
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

gbrown

by gbrown

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:30 pm
Are those Aeolus 3's or Aeolus Pro 3's? Mine are 1360. Rim brake however.
Aeolus 3's.

But as you say, the disc brake versions, so 1454g (not including TLR strips).

Geoff

gbrown

by gbrown

spartan wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:45 pm
aeolus 3 disc are just a stop gap measure from trek. they are too heavy not optimized for discs too expensive.
Not what I wanted to hear, having just paid a lot of money for them! :(

nickf

by nickf

New XXX line of road wheels being released.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

spartan wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:45 pm
nickf wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 am
New XXX line of road wheels being released.
Could you guys provide a little more about this. What do you know? Where did you hear it? When will the new wheels be released? I'm planning to put an order in for a project one Domane with Aeolus wheels but I could wait a little if that's worth while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com