Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 TLR Disc wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

SilentDrone wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 am
spartan wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:45 pm
aeolus 3 disc are just a stop gap measure from trek. they are too heavy not optimized for discs too expensive.
new generation coming this year
nickf wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:09 am
New XXX line of road wheels being released.
Could you guys provide a little more about this. What do you know? Where did you hear it? When will the new wheels be released? I'm planning to put an order in for a project one Domane with Aeolus wheels but I could wait a little if that's worth while.
No timeline yet on the release. But word is they are going to be called XXX and will have a textured brake surface. That's all we know at this time. I wouldn't wait around if i were you.

I love my Aeolus wheels. Have them on both my bikes. I have a set of the 3's and the 5's, both tubular. Wouldn't trade they for anything. Your getting a bomb proof wheelset. My 5's that are around 2.5 years old have never needed anything, no truing, no bearings. Just grease the ratchets every so often. They are going on at least 12k+ miles at this point. Most people dismiss the Aeolus wheels and go for Zipp marketing, boy are they missing out.

gbrown

by gbrown

I see on the Trek web site they have a set of Aeolus XXX Tubular Wheels, but they are ultra-light weight, shallow section, tubular and rim brake only (so far).

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... Code=black

Off to LBS in the morning to weigh stuff as they build my Domane. :D

Geoff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SpartacusCZ

by SpartacusCZ

Does anyone have Aeolus "pro" 3 (disc)? Durability, stiffnes?

gbrown

by gbrown

Shop started my build today, so we got a chance to weigh a few bits, until the build was stopped while we wait for a bar end di2 junction, before wrapping the bars.

I confirmed the weight of the rear Aeolus 3 D3 TLR Disc at 784g by weighing the cassette, tyre and tube after removal and subtracting them and the TLR strip from the combined weight. So the quoted weights really are spot on.

The valves were also weighed separately as 5g each, so nothing much to worry about.

Unsurprisingly the 32mm R3 tyres were quite heavy at 284g each, but the standard tubes were 125g each, so Trek made no effort to save weight there, as their very nice RXL tubes are only around 65g each.

The shop fitted my (slightly used) Schwalbe Pro One 25mm tubeless tyres (without using levers), which weighed 270g each and they inflated straight away, without sealant (yet). So without tubes but with 1.5 oz sealant in each wheel I should save a reasonable amount of weight.

The 25mm tyres measured 28.75mm wide fitted to the Aeolus wheels, so I see no need to go wider. They were 27mm wide on my Dura Ace 9000 C24 tubeless wheels.

Looking forward to seeing how the new wheels perform when the roads dry out.

Geoff

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Thanks for the report, Geoff. Awesome bike! Post some pics and give some ride impressions when it’s ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

... sorry mispost

gbrown

by gbrown

LBS have kindly agreed to exchange my unused Aeolus 3 Disc wheels for the new Aeolus XXX 4 Disc wheels, as I never even got to sit on the bike before the wheels were upgraded.

They've ordered the new XXX 4's which are not available until June, and are selling the brand new unused Aeolus 3 Disc wheels at a cracking discount, if anyone fancies a pair of the full strength Aeolus Disc wheels at close to the price of the Pro's!

Geoff