DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut 48

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Lafolie wrote:wondered if anyone pulled the trigger on a pair of the DT Swiss ARC Dicut 48 ?
I really like my ERC 1100 Dicut 47 DB on my winter/ rain bike and I decided to buy a pair of ARC 1100 Dicut 48 DB for my other bike (should be finished in the next 2 weeks) as the Shimano 9170 C60 are still not available.

khayale

by khayale

I bit the bullet and purchased these (ARC 48 Rim brake version). They arrived today and looking mighty impressive (relative to my Ksyrium Elites which they replace). I'll set them up and go on a series of rides this weekend and report back thereafter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

khayale

by khayale

Hi All

So far so good.

I'd rate these wheels 4.75/5.

Setup: The wheels are mounted with GP 4000 S II tyres 23mm front and 25mm rear.

Thoughts: Compared to my Mavic Ksyriums these wheels are lighter, stiffer, more compliant over road buzz, and feel very much faster at speed. I have done a few rides to date, with the longest ride being 93kms. None of the rides had wind exceeding 10km/h but for the minor gusts experienced the wheels were unfazed.

Braking was excellent (in the dry). It was not grabby at any moment and smoothly modulated/stopped at command. Mounting tyres was also quite easy and the hubs feel smooth. Admittedly on the hubs I don't notice a significant difference from the Mavic hubs.

A disclaimer: my experience with carbon rims includes a pair of Token c50 I trialed a year ago on a BMC SLR01. So I can't quite compare these to other known carbon clinchers. That said the wheelset ticks many boxes on paper such as:

- Modern Rim profile
- Tubeless ready (I plan to run tubeless when these tyres are worn)
- DT Swiss proprietary parts all-round (hubs, spokes etc) which should translate to long term reliability

All in all my own experience of this wheelset has been hugely positive.

See link to bike below:

MichalZZZ

by MichalZZZ

What's the sound of these wheels? Nice? :)

TonyM

by TonyM

I have the disc version and they are great! WIth 23mm/25mm veloflex Open Corsa.
Certainly the placebo effect but they feel fast...
Yes the sound of the 36T ratchet is great also!

cakelover

by cakelover

Good to hear the braking is good. Have you done any wet riding? I have heard that the braking was not the best. i am also about to hit the button in them. They are replacing my Mavic Ksyriums but going on to my Canyon Ultimate CF SLX from 2012 and so I am limited on my options with new wheels and clearance on the rear chain stays and rear brake. Yours been ok? No rubing when standing up on the pedals?

khayale wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:23 am
Hi All

So far so good.

I'd rate these wheels 4.75/5.

Setup: The wheels are mounted with GP 4000 S II tyres 23mm front and 25mm rear.

Thoughts: Compared to my Mavic Ksyriums these wheels are lighter, stiffer, more compliant over road buzz, and feel very much faster at speed. I have done a few rides to date, with the longest ride being 93kms. None of the rides had wind exceeding 10km/h but for the minor gusts experienced the wheels were unfazed.

Braking was excellent (in the dry). It was not grabby at any moment and smoothly modulated/stopped at command. Mounting tyres was also quite easy and the hubs feel smooth. Admittedly on the hubs I don't notice a significant difference from the Mavic hubs.

A disclaimer: my experience with carbon rims includes a pair of Token c50 I trialed a year ago on a BMC SLR01. So I can't quite compare these to other known carbon clinchers. That said the wheelset ticks many boxes on paper such as:

- Modern Rim profile
- Tubeless ready (I plan to run tubeless when these tyres are worn)
- DT Swiss proprietary parts all-round (hubs, spokes etc) which should translate to long term reliability

All in all my own experience of this wheelset has been hugely positive.

See link to bike below:

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

I'm considering the dt Swiss wheel. Can any kind souls help me to understand a bit more on the wheels?

The arc, prc and erc different is just width of the wheel? Also I see there are 1100 and 1400 what is the difference? Differ grade in carbon?

willmac

by willmac

I’ve recently received a pair of the erc1100 dicuts. All of the rims are considered race (“r” part of moniker) but different properties. ERC are wider internal width, ARC are a bit more aero and PRC are a bit lighter. I’d say the differences are miner to say the least. Biggest difference is in hubs and spikes. 1100 get higher spec and lower weights, 1400 more middle of the road.

Coming off of a set of Enve 4.5’s, I’m perfectly satisfied with these and wouldn’t consider them a downgrade in the slightest.

TonyM

by TonyM

The erc are also stronger in terms of drops. I think they are rated at 10 or 15cm drop. Useful for gravel or like for me using these on my rain/ winter bikes and having sometimes potholes that I don’t see.

The ARC and ERC (not PRC) have also been developed with SwissSide to be better in the crosswinds.

DT Swiss is IMHO better than Enve. They have the best hubs together with Chris King (but better for maintenance!). And the best spokes (nr 2 would be Sapim). Enve has a far better Marketing however!

I have currently the ARC 1100 on my F10 and the ERC 1100 on my BMC Roadmachine02 (and other DT Swiss wheels on my MTBs).

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

TonyM wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm
The erc are also stronger in terms of drops. I think they are rated at 10 or 15cm drop. Useful for gravel or like for me using these on my rain/ winter bikes and having sometimes potholes that I don’t see.

The ARC and ERC (not PRC) have also been developed with SwissSide to be better in the crosswinds.

DT Swiss is IMHO better than Enve. They have the best hubs together with Chris King (but better for maintenance!). And the best spokes (nr 2 would be Sapim). Enve has a far better Marketing however!

I have currently the ARC 1100 on my F10 and the ERC 1100 on my BMC Roadmachine02 (and other DT Swiss wheels on my MTBs).

I felt the current model of the dt Swiss is under appreciated. I had a pair of swissside hardon, they are amazing. But I felt a bit lack of quality build. With the recent collaboration with swissside, the product caught my attention. Visited my lbs today, the build quality of the dt siwss is good imo. However, my lbs sale staff don't know anything about the dt Swiss wheel. Haha.

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes DT Swiss is largely under the radar in North America. Lack of proper marketing and distribution (for example in Canada the importer is not selling the 1100 ERC..)

DT Swiss, like for example Assos, are some iconic brands in Europe since the 80s because of their quality. They were never cheap however. Quality has its price.

Enve for example is using the DT Swiss hubs for their wheels also. Not a bad choice. LOL. Not sure however if they use the DT Swiss spokes.