LW Gipfelsturm Front/Meilenstein Rear - Anyone?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
853guy

by 853guy

Hello everyone,

We get some fairly robust winds where we are courtesy of the Provençal Mistral, with the occasional gust easily exceeding 50km/h.

Is anyone running the above combo?

Thinking it might be the best compromise in terms of splitting the difference between a full set of Gipfelsturms or Meilensteins. And yes, I have considered having both sets, but y'know, I have to eat too.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Best,

853guy

P.S. If this has been done to death, please don't hesitate to point me toward the appropriate post (my search returned nothing).

KCookie

by KCookie

At the moment I'm using a Ventoux III at the front and an Obie for the rear, and to be honest I feel this is the best combo when it's windy. My only gripe is the Ventoux has 4 white labels and the Obie one black.
I cannot use the Obies at all when it's windy as I find it hard to hold on to the front wheel, a few to many sketchy moments has put a stop to those.
Ventoux on their own are amazing, with no problems in strong winds but out of curiosity last week I decided to do the combo and loved it.
Having a Gipfelsturm black edition up front would be my perfect combo so it matched the rear.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Iused to have 50mm aero wheels and living on Maui there were too many times that I'd turn around and end a ride early because the gusty winds made it no fun and slightly scary. I bought a 24mm front wheel to put on for windy days but that made it so I had to decide before leaving the house. My new wheelset is aero 38mm front, 50mm rear and I love it. Aero enough that it feels fast but no problem on the windiest days and no decision making.

853guy

by 853guy

Hello gents,

Thanks for your replies.

After an incredible ride yesterday, we've had winds from 15 km/h with gusts up to 65 km/h today, and the forecast is predicting similar weather over the next couple of days, with gusts up to 75 km/h.

I've also found a couple more threads here suggesting running a Gipfelsturm up front, but given the reality of the weather here, I'm leaning away from the Gipfelsturm front/Meilenstein rear combo, and thinking a pair of Gipfelsturms might be the trick. I can always add a single Meilenstein later if the longer-term riding conditions prove amenable - if not locally, then further afield - right?

And anyway, after Googling, Instagramming and Pinteresting a whole bunch of Lightweight-shod bikes, I have to agree with some of the posts that suggest sticking with a matched wheelset may be preferable to the eye. Do aesthetics matter more than the aero benefits a single rear Meilenstein and/or the weight advantages a pair of Gipfelsturms may confer ? That’s a good question.

Aesthetically, I have to admit the Gipfelstrum/Meilenstein combo does look kinda weird, though less weird on aero bikes with aggressive styling. I could probably live with it, knowing my unshaven legs are more likely to draw weird looks than the depth anomaly between the front and back wheels.

Obviously, there’s a weight disadvantage running the Meilenstein as a rear wheel, but if my maths serves me correctly, only to the tune of 55 grams (or 30 grams in the case of the Obermeyer). A drained bidon, or indeed, a drained bladder is likely to have more real-world affect.

So, aesthetics aside, I’m thinking it’s probably going to come down to whether A) the Meilenstein as a rear will confer any aero advantage over the Gipfelsturm in a greater number of conditions with the exception of those in which it’s exceptionally gusty; and B) the ride quality of the Meilenstein confers any advantage in terms of comfort, which I personally would probably value over aero gains, given the type of riding I do (I’m also a small guy and quite light).

Is anyone able to comment on either A) or B)?

Thanking you in advance.

Best,

853guy

P.S. Happy new year!

KCookie

by KCookie

This might help you decide 100% which way you want to go. Three pics attached. Obies, Ventoux and combo.
Cheers ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice.

853guy

by 853guy

KCookie wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:06 am
This might help you decide 100% which way you want to go. Three pics attached. Obies, Ventoux and combo.
Cheers
Thanks for the reply, KCookie.

Yes, it confirms 100% I may be willing to sacrifice my children’s university tuition to own a pair of Gipfelsturms and a pair of Meilensteins despite the fact gusts of 68 km/h this morning confirm the utter redundancy of owning the Meilensteins as a pair (beautiful bike, by the way - it looks incredible).

Nevertheless, I’m curious as to the circumstances and reasons in which you prefer the Ventoux/Meilenstein combo over either the Meilensteins and Ventouxs as pairs. Is it because the Meilenstein confers a performance advantage over the Ventouxs as a pair with respect to aero gains, or because the Meilenstein rear confers a comfort advantage over longer distances? Or something else altogether?

Thanks again, KCookie - appreciate you posting.

853guy

KCookie

by KCookie

Geoff wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 am
Ok, that's nice.
Many thanks. :D

KCookie

by KCookie

853guy wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:19 am
KCookie wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:06 am
Cheers
Thanks for the reply, KCookie.

Yes, it confirms 100% I may be willing to sacrifice my children’s university tuition to own a pair of Gipfelsturms and a pair of Meilensteins despite the fact gusts of 68 km/h this morning confirm the utter redundancy of owning the Meilensteins as a pair (beautiful bike, by the way - it looks incredible).

Nevertheless, I’m curious as to the circumstances and reasons in which you prefer the Ventoux/Meilenstein combo over either the Meilensteins and Ventouxs as pairs. Is it because the Meilenstein confers a performance advantage over the Ventouxs as a pair with respect to aero gains, or because the Meilenstein rear confers a comfort advantage over longer distances? Or something else altogether?

Thanks again, KCookie - appreciate you posting.

853guy
Thanks for the compliment on my bike.
There are some Meilenstein tubs for sale on this site and some Gipfelsturms for sale on eBay, so you could save a little for you kids uni tuition buying second hand. Lol.
To be honest when I bought the Obies I couldn't have been happier, then I got the Ventoux and couldn't believe the difference these wheels made in windy conditions. So much so that the Obies just felt slow over all, not what you want from $7000 wheels.
Since I bought the Ventoux I've only changed to the Obies once due to calm conditions and still didn't like the feel. Back on went the Ventoux, then the rear Sram cassette wasn't dropping into the 11 cog, and as I'm completely shit at bike maintenance I put the Obie on with a DA cassette which I have no problem with and have like the combo ever since.
Reason is mainly that I can't feel any draw back from not having both Ventoux on and it's lighter having the rear Obie, at least I'm getting to use both sets as I have another set of Meilenstein clinchers just sitting in a bag gathering dust for the last two years.
Cheers

853guy

by 853guy

KCookie wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:46 am
Thanks for the compliment on my bike.
There are some Meilenstein tubs for sale on this site and some Gipfelsturms for sale on eBay, so you could save a little for you kids uni tuition buying second hand. Lol.
To be honest when I bought the Obies I couldn't have been happier, then I got the Ventoux and couldn't believe the difference these wheels made in windy conditions. So much so that the Obies just felt slow over all, not what you want from $7000 wheels.
Since I bought the Ventoux I've only changed to the Obies once due to calm conditions and still didn't like the feel. Back on went the Ventoux, then the rear Sram cassette wasn't dropping into the 11 cog, and as I'm completely shit at bike maintenance I put the Obie on with a DA cassette which I have no problem with and have like the combo ever since.
Reason is mainly that I can't feel any draw back from not having both Ventoux on and it's lighter having the rear Obie, at least I'm getting to use both sets as I have another set of Meilenstein clinchers just sitting in a bag gathering dust for the last two years.
Cheers
Yeah, I think I’ve looked at every pair of second-hand LWs the internet has to offer… And although I fundamentally believe everything the internet has to offer is totally legit and in no way misrepresented and always in perfect working order - oh no, wait… I don’t - common sense suggests a new pair from a reputable LBS to be mandatory given the cash involved is equivalent to the GDP of the six poorest countries (hello first-world guilt) and I’d prefer to partner with someone whose accumulated experience with LWs dwarfs mine. I can’t buy time so I may as well buy experience.

And after my ride this morning in which I had to physically lean my upper body into the wind to avoid being pushed off the road, and the generosity of your posting here, I’m just gonna go with a pair of Gipfelsturms. I love the idea of Meilensteins, or a single rear one just because, but I like the idea of not dying by being impaled on sharp rocks at the bottom of a ravine even more.

I guess that’s possibly the end of this thread, then. If it is, I doubt that will prevent people coming back to admire the pictures of your bike. I’m not usually one for matt finishes, but seriously, even if your cardio is crap I applaud you, sir.

Thanks, again, KCookie.

853guy

P.S. Which Veloflex do you have on there?

KCookie

by KCookie

You won't regret the Gipfelsturms, you'll fall in love and they will be wheels for ever. I will eventually get some in exchange for the Ventoux.
The tyres are the Carbons. I would like to try 25mm but don't have the clearance with the fibula brakes.
PS, where did you get my cardio is crap from. :)
Cheers

853guy

by 853guy

KCookie wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:30 pm
You won't regret the Gipfelsturms, you'll fall in love and they will be wheels for ever. I will eventually get some in exchange for the Ventoux.
The tyres are the Carbons. I would like to try 25mm but don't have the clearance with the fibula brakes.
PS, where did you get my cardio is crap from. :)
Cheers
Well, “forever wheels” is what they better be, considering I plan on pairing them with my “forever ultimate once-in-a-lifetime” bike build (excited squeals…!). I doubt I’ll regret it. I’m sure they’ll be more than adequate for a diehard MTB guy who’s fallen for the road in a very unexpected way. And interestingly, the Carbons are exactly the tires I thought I’d match up with them.

I had also thought I’d splurge on the Fibulas (which I thought were compatible with 25mm tires..?) but am thinking of the EEs instead.

The cardio thing? Well, there’s a good reason I’m considering the LWs in the first place, and it ain’t ‘cause I’ve got LeMond levels of VO2Max. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks again, KCookie.

853guy

KCookie

by KCookie

Plenty of clearance on the front but the rear brake has no more than a couple of mm with 25mm. I did try but dirt collects and makes a horrible noise.
They are also an absolute nightmare to keep centered.
I would definitely go for the EEs, they are cheaper and no much heavier.
Cheers

KCookie

by KCookie

Sorry got it wrong it was the front brake that was tight fitting with 25mm tyres.Image

sungod

by sungod

afaik having the tyre bulging out to the side with a 'lightbulb' profile is not good aerodynamically

it may be less of an issue with the gipfelsturms, but with the obermayers (same rim width) i found switching to a narrower tyre (veloflex sprinter) on the front improved both stability in changing crosswind and also maximum speed when coasting down descents that i do regularly - fitted the narrower tyre in august, from that day i'm faster and the front is less twitchy in crosswinds