LW meilenstein braking performance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moyboy

by moyboy

How are the Lighweight meilenstein latest version's braking performance (dry / wet)?
Wondering how it compares to zipp / enve (newest gen) / Campy (AC3 / 3D)

sungod

by sungod

i've got the current meilenstein obermayers, probably the same brake track as the standard

using lightweight's pads...

in the dry, braking is good, even on steep descents or hard stops (i'm 77-80kg)

in the wet, you do need to brake earlier (or 'skim' the brakes) to clear water, then braking is ok, it can get a bit snatchy if dirt gets on the tracks/pads, i get a lot of wet rides, overall it's never been an issue

originally i had sram red brakes (2010 vintage), since switched to the current model ee brakes, these are giving better modulation/power

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danielbahia

by danielbahia

Hi, as well said above, braking performance on dry conditions are goods for a carbon wheel. In wet condition demands the same caution as any other wheel of it's category/level. Comaring, breakes much better than Bontrager Aeolus and a little worse than Roval CLX 60.

2old4this

by 2old4this

moyboy wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:55 pm
How are the Lighweight meilenstein latest version's braking performance (dry / wet)?
Wondering how it compares to zipp / enve (newest gen) / Campy (AC3 / 3D)
I can't help you with the wet performance (it doesn't rain here all that much, and when it does I use a rainy day bike with alloy wheels.)

Older LWs seemed to have less than ideal break performance on descents. The new ones are better for sure, and seem to be better than the older envy smarts. I cant tell if the new envys or LWs are better in breaking. I think they are very similar.

As for the older LWs, you can send the wheels to LW in Germany. They add a thin layer of new breaking surface. Including the shipping (for which you have to use their shipping company) the cost is about €600. I think it is well worth it.