Wheels for heavier rider??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

Ok, my GF is getting me a set of wheels for my 50th birthday. Price limit of ~$1000 US. Can not be hand built, she won't go that route unfortunately. Here's what I've found on Ebay, and on clearance online. Any thoughts on these, for a guy weighing in at 215lbs/100 kg?? Definitely not a climber, so think of these as being more for a sprinter!!

I live in AZ, and where I ride there's a lot climbing, and a lot of flat to get there. I ride a 2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo, so chainstay clearance is low. I can't stand flexy wheels when I stand. I had a set of Reynolds that were perfect for me, but sold 'em during my divorce.

9000 series Dura Ace C35's
Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon
Profile Design 38 Twenty Four
Profile DEsign 58 Twenty Four
DT Swiss RR21 DiCut
Cannondale Hollowgram Si 50mm carbon Clinchers
Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL
Mercury S5C
Williams System 38
Aerus Quantum SL35 (Never heard of these until today!!)

I'm open to other suggestions in my price range, and can buy outside of the US if needed.

Wookski

by Wookski

Fulcrum Racing Zero or Campagnolo Shamal C17
Lots of nasty wheels on that list :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

Wookski wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 pm
Fulcrum Racing Zero or Campagnolo Shamal C17
Lots of nasty wheels on that list :cry:
That's why I'm here, to weed out the stuff that isn't gonna work!! Thanks for the tip on the Campy's, I'd forgotten all about those!!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Tubs are cheaper. From your list it seems you're ruling them out, but you can get better wheels within your budget. If you'd consider 2nd hand, there's some DV32 ULs just over 1kg and half of your budget on ebay. There's also some Assault SLGs.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

4ibanez wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:16 pm
Tubs are cheaper. From your list it seems you're ruling them out, but you can get better wheels within your budget. If you'd consider 2nd hand, there's some DV32 ULs just over 1kg and half of your budget on ebay. There's also some Assault SLGs.
I have a set of tubs, but our roads are so terrible here, I can only use 'em in certain places. I'll look at those Reynolds, thanks!!

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

kevhogaz wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:41 pm
4ibanez wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:16 pm
I have a set of tubs, but our roads are so terrible here, I can only use 'em in certain places. I'll look at those Reynolds, thanks!!

I would think about Zonda C17's, remove the stickers if they bother you. You can pick those up for under $400 shipped on sale. November wheels and Boyd both have wheels in that price range. If you went with either of those you could get some pretty nice hoops and hubs if you threw in $300 or so... Just sayin

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have a set of the Fulcrum Quattros and love them. However given your weight another wheelset comes to mind. The Dura Ace C50. I’ve had a set and it’s super stiff. In fact too stiff and too heavy for my 60kg body frame. And that’s why I switched to the Campy Bora 50s and the Fulcrum Quattros. But I believe the C50 would be perfect for you. It was tested to be the most laterally stiff wheel by Tour. It’s a bit heavy at 1,780g but you don’t get something for nothing. The hub is a work of art. I took the rear hub apart for maintenance and the grease inside looked like brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Shamal C17s are outstanding wheels.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

Have a look at the Venn Rev 35 TCC, reasonable weight for the price and suitable for riders up too 110Kg

https://shop.venn-cycling.com/index.php ... -35-tcc-2/

I just ordered their Rev 507 disc brake version, as I'm also on the heavier side ;)

I've also used Shamal Mille C15, Eurus and Vento wheels without issue from Campagnolo.

The DT Swiss RR21 Dicut are nice, but I always got a strange pinging sound from the spokes when standing, so ended up selling them since that sound didn't give me confidence in their durability.

From Reynolds I've use Assault SLG and Strike without issue.

From FSA I've used Vision Metron 55, another great wheel but the braking in wet isn't so great.

Also used Roval CL64, but I think they might be outside your price range unless you can find some used.

Lots available off the shelf for the heavier rider

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Shamals or Racing Quattros

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Farsports lets you pick rim depth, spoke count, and hub so for $600-$1000 there's options to build a really stiff and pretty light wheelset. I don't know how much wind you have to deal with so either 38mm front/50mm rear or 50mm front/60mm rear, 23mm wide rims would be my recommendation. Either 24/28 or 28/32 CX-Rays spokes on Novatec, DT 350, or DT 240 hubs. I use 38/50 rims, 20/24 spokes, and EdHubs at 1340g but I'm lighter and have gusty winds.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Many wheel builders have standard builds so it a bit like buying a zonda though so ignoring hand built is odd.

Many of those wheels you list might be fine but there are plenty of 100kf riders that would get spoke failures. There are 8pkg riders that get problems too.

I would get a set built with a wide 25mm to 30mm deep rims and 28 spoke rear wheel laced up with triple butted spokes and nipple washers. Get them built buy some one who knows what they are doing and you will have a superb wheelset.

There are a number of manufacturers who have people building there wheels so just find wheelset with the above spec. I do one. I cant be the only one.

Multebear

by Multebear

I agree with @bm0p700f. Fair enough, that your GF doesn't want to bother with all the options of hand build wheels. But with your weight, and with those boring options you mention (sorry about that), you will do way better with hand build. And it doesn't even have to be that hard. There are some bombproof options, that will make you very happy and give you many trouble free miles.

For hubs with your weight, you want something where you don't chew up free hub bodies. That means you'd want titanium free hub body. That leaves you with either Shimano Dura Ace hubs or White industries T11 hubs. Both are fantastic hubs, that will outlive you easily, if you service them once in a while. Since you're in the states, choose WI. They come in various colors. And they look fantastic.

For rims choose something like Pacenti or HED Belgium + if you want to spoil yourself and spend money. For mid level priced rims, take a look at FLO30. They also sell ready build wheels. For cheaper options there are various Kinlin offerings like the 279 or the 31. Both very good. Another cheaper options is the DT R 460 which I'm very happy with myself.

Spokes, if you want to go high end choose DT Aerolite or Sapim CX Ray. Mid level would be Sapim Revolution.

And finally spoke configuration. Depending on how many watts you put out, go 24 front 28 rear, or 28 front and 32 rear.

But get in touch with some of the professionals like Ergott wheels, November or some of the others.

Or you could just buy a pair of Boyd Altamonts or Flo30 as mentioned. But I would stay away from most of your own suggestions.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Triple butted spokes like sapim force or cx force will be better for the rear wheel. The dt swiss alpine III is to fat at the elbow for most high end hubs.

Out of the hed belgium+, velocity quill, kinlin xr31t, pacenti for a, flo30 you can choose which you think look best. The flo30 is the heaviest but the kinlin at real yaw angles is as aero and cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com